Thread: Graduate/PhD 2011-2012 applications and acceptance notices: Canada

Registered
    Jan 2011
    Has anyone heard from Dalhousie yet?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally posted by hhunter View post
    I don't know.. the more people with some sense of good urban planning the better.
    I live in Ottawa, which has no planning program at any level, at any of the Universities or Colleges, and I've wondered if the City has suffered because of it...

I've never lived in Calgary, but from my visits, I would have to say it could use a little extra thought going into its urban form.
    It is more of a practical issue in regards to employment prospects and the supply/demand ratio for planners in both the public and private sectors. More planning schools = more people fighting for a limited number of jobs. If I had a dollar for every time someone told me "we need more planners" I'd be swimming around in cash. Reality is my planning school class is still hovering around 40% unemployment.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally posted by LuckyDuck View post
    Has anyone heard from Dalhousie yet?
    Nope, they are the only ones who I am still waiting for.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally posted by tingbudong View post
    It is more of a practical issue in regards to employment prospects and the supply/demand ratio for planners in both the public and private sectors. More planning schools = more people fighting for a limited number of jobs. If I had a dollar for every time someone told me "we need more planners" I'd be swimming around in cash. Reality is my planning school class is still hovering around 40% unemployment.
    That's a statistic the Univeristy wont be bragging about... :\
    Your class graduted... last spring? Yikes. Do you know that from keeping in touch with your old classmates?

Cheers.

Registered
    Jan 2011
    Apparently I've been wait listed for U of T. Anyone know what the chances are of getting accepted after being wait listed?

Registered
    Nov 2010

Ryerson?

Anyone still waiting for Ryerson? I take it if I am, it's a bad sign?

Though, I just moved - I've updated my address - so maybe there's a delay there?

McGill finally contacted me to tell me that my file is complete. My last name starts with a 'Y' so they should be on to the review process.

Registered
    Feb 2011
    Apparently I've been wait listed for U of T. Anyone know what the chances are of getting accepted after being wait listed?
    I'm still waiting to hear anything from U of T. How did you find out that you were wait listed?

Registered
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally posted by rexbanner View post
    I'm still waiting to hear anything from U of T. How did you find out that you were wait listed?
    I called them yesterday and I was told all the decisions had been made. They have 20 people on the wait list and the remaining rejections will go out on Monday.

Registered
    Mar 2011
    I called them yesterday and I was told all the decisions had been made. They have 20 people on the wait list and the remaining rejections will go out on Monday.
    Is this for the MA in Program in Planning?
    I applied for PhD but I guess the timeline is similar

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally posted by pre_planner View post
    Anyone still waiting for Ryerson? I take it if I am, it's a bad sign?

Though, I just moved - I've updated my address - so maybe there's a delay there?

McGill finally contacted me to tell me that my file is complete. My last name starts with a 'Y' so they should be on to the review process.
    I'm still waiting for Ryerson. I don't think it's time to panic yet (although I have to say at this point, having been accepted at schools higher on my list, I care very little if I get in there).

That said, looking at last year's thread, Ryerson seems to follow the trend of many Canadian schools of stringing people along into late spring before finally rejecting them.

Dumb.

Registered
    Feb 2011
    Anyone heard from York MES yet?

I've already submitted my UofT acceptance but I am wondering about what they are doing.

If anyone is waiting to hear from Waterloo, I declined my offer yesterday so hopefully it will go to someone else waiting!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2009
    Interesting, thanks for the info.

Have you chosen a stream/concentration at this point?
    How are class sizes?
    How do you feel in terms of job preparedness?

I'm debating between accepting (at Queens) vs continuing to work. So hard to know the right choice.
    Hey hhunter,

I went in knowing exactly which stream I wanted. However a lot of my classmates didnt and have been moving around. The first semester consists of the same core courses for everyone. In the second semester everyone starts drifting towards courses in their stream, though the idea of the stream itself is rather fluid as almost everyone takes the basic core course for atleast 2 streams (usually land use and enviro).

After UofT and its massive 300 students per class, our meager 30 students a class seems incredible to me. That being said, you'll only get 30 students a class for the courses that everyone is required to take. The courses within your stream can range from 20 students a class (land use e.g.) to about 4 a class (the current social planning cohort). Additionally, with a faculty of only 5 (+ a number of part-timers/adjuncts) you get to know your professors quiet intimately.

As for job preparedness, I worked for a number of years, including at a planning internship, before returning to school, and my experience has always been that no matter how hard a school tries, it will never have you completely prepared for the real world, your "real" education starts on the job. I also did not come to school to be ready for a job per se, but to pick up those technical skills and the background knowledge that is essential to a planner. That being said, courses within the land use stream tend to be quiet practical (i havent had much personal exposure to enviro this year) and our final project for the basic course is basically putting together an OP for a hypothetical city. In our second year we have our project course which often consists on working on a real project for a client (this year there was a project for the City of Ottawa and for the City of Kingston). I have friends in the real-estate courses and they seem to be happy with what they're learning (I come from a finance background so have no interest in those courses). So yes, i think you do learn a lot of the skills you will need in the real world.

Hope this helps. If you have any additional questions, dont hesitate to ask.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2009
    I heard from Queens about funding yesterday. I also asked for addition time before having to accept and they were quite good about it.
    Oh and congrats on getting in!

Registered
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally posted by Foreign Guy View post
    Is this for the MA in Program in Planning?
    I applied for PhD but I guess the timeline is similar
    Yeah, the Master of Science in Planning.

Registered
    Mar 2011
    Any word/news on UBC yet?

Registered
    Mar 2011
    Yeah, the Master of Science in Planning.
    So... did you guys really get your answers? Or at least did your status on the SGS website change from "under review" to "decision made"?
    Cause I haven't heard anything yet...

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2011
    So... did you guys really get your answers? Or at least did your status on the SGS website change from "under review" to "decision made"?
    same here, and I have yet to see any international applicants say anything about an admissions decision either way.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally posted by Shakey View post
    Hey hhunter....

[Snip]

Hope this helps. If you have any additional questions, dont hesitate to ask.
    Thanks Shakey! All very good to know.

Registered
    Feb 2011
    Don't torture yourself with the SGS website guys... my status still hasn't changed from "under review" and my decision was made in February.

Good luck to everyone waiting!

Registered
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally posted by n31290 View post
    Don't torture yourself with the SGS website guys... my status still hasn't changed from "under review" and my decision was made in February.

Good luck to everyone waiting!
    Hmm... good to know.
    So what does it mean? We just have to wait for an email?

Does anyone know whether U of T sends rejections by snail mail? That could explain the wait.

Registered
    Jan 2011
    Hmm... good to know.
    So what does it mean? We just have to wait for an email?

Does anyone know whether U of T sends rejections by snail mail? That could explain the wait.
    I spoke with the department administrator on Friday and she said that rejections would be going out in the mail at the beginning of this week. I gather from what she said that they have sent all admits, wait listed 20 students and rejected the rest.

Registered
    Mar 2011
    So I was told UBC has sent out their first round of admissions already. I didn't get one, but did anyone hear from them?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally posted by the View post
    So I was told UBC has sent out their first round of admissions already. I didn't get one, but did anyone hear from them?
    Hey, I was admitted tonight to Scarp masters for international development. Feel free to PM me.

Registered
    Mar 2011
    So has anyone heard from York yet?
    They seem to be going slower than other schools.
    I'd appreciate any info!

I think I might contact them next week if I don't hear anything

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2010
    Anyone hear anything from Dalhousie yet?

LuckyDuck?

If I don't hear anything by Monday I will probably give admissions a call to see whats up since I already have have two acceptances sitting on the table and I would like to figure out where I will be this fall by mid April at the latest.

+ Reply to thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 129
    Last post: 18 Mar 2014, 11:38 PM
  2. Replies: 708
    Last post: 26 Jul 2011, 7:59 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last post: 05 Aug 2010, 5:23 PM
  4. Replies: 240
    Last post: 07 Jul 2010, 8:57 PM