Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Graduate/PhD 2011-2012 applications and acceptance notices: Canada

Registered
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally posted by hhunter View post
    Thanks for posting that!

Too bad their funding isn't great, and announced after some people are expected to make their decision!
    I also assume that if you don't speak French, you probably won't get a TAship...

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally posted by Chips View post
    I also assume that if you don't speak French, you probably won't get a TAship...
    Oh yeah? That would surprise me, but could be... I think of McGill as being pretty anglo!

Registered
    Jan 2011
    Oh yeah? That would surprise me, but could be... I think of McGill as being pretty anglo!
    I'm studying in Montreal right now and I really don't think speaking French will be necessary for a TAship. One thing I will mention is that many of the city planning documents are in French only. There are a small number of English boroughs where the documents are in both languages though.

Registered
    Mar 2011

Any more word from McGill

Hi All,

I'm still waiting for word on my application to McGill's PhD program. Has anyone been admitted to the PhD program?

I've been told by Ms. Chan that it could take until the first week of May to hear something, but she didn't indicate whether they've already made decisions and if I'm wait-listed or rejected. Honestly, there seems to be a clear lack of transparency, and I'm becoming increasingly frustrated.

Also, when I check Minerva, it still says "Ready for Review". What do your Minerva accounts say?

I'm just trying to feel this one out... I obviously can't pester McGill, but considering the fact that it's getting late my hopes are fading. I guess I'm just trying to see what others in this situation have found out (if anything) and know whether or not I should just write McGill off or not.

Thanks!

Still waiting

Quote Originally posted by chrystally View post
    Ryerson: rejection letter via mail last friday. Congrats to all those who received offers!!

Dalhousie: Emailed Glays Chan (last week sometime) about decisions and she got back to me today saying I've been recommended by the committee, now they're waiting on Grad Studies to ok my acceptance. Fingers crossed!

McGill: still waiting.
    Hey Chrystally, we are in the exact same position! Applied to the same schools and same results I got an email from Graduate Studies at Dal congratulating me on my acceptance, so hopefully that has cemented it.

With regard to McGill, can I ask what your last name starts with? Mine is S, and if what has been mentioned earlier about the alphabetical nature of their acceptance / rejection process, hopefully they just haven't gotten to us yet!

Registered
    Apr 2011
    I'm from the US but got into UBC, anyone else planning on going there?

Registered
    Nov 2010

I've still heard nothing from Ryerson

Registered
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally posted by lostonez View post
    I'm from the US but got into UBC, anyone else planning on going there?
    Got email half an hour ago, saying I've been accepted to UBC. I'm really excited, but am thinking of trying to defer due to other non-academic opportunities that have come up for next fall. Does anyone know the likelihood of being able to defer, especially since I was on the waitlist?

I wasn't expecting to get in. It's a tough decision.

Registered
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally posted by rexbanner View post
    Got email half an hour ago, saying I've been accepted to UBC. I'm really excited, but am thinking of trying to defer due to other non-academic opportunities that have come up for next fall. Does anyone know the likelihood of being able to defer, especially since I was on the waitlist?

I wasn't expecting to get in. It's a tough decision.
    Congrats!

From the SCARP website:
    DEFERRED ADMISSION

It is not possible to defer admission. If you are accepted but do not register you may apply again by submitting a new application form and paying the fee. Your admission would be considered along with others applying for that year.

In other news, I received my McGill acceptance letter today. If I hadn't received an email, I would have been afraid I was declined due to the fact they sent a small envelope. Pretty cool though; they send a USB with all of the acceptance materials.

Registered
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally posted by ReS View post
    Hey Chrystally, we are in the exact same position! Applied to the same schools and same results I got an email from Graduate Studies at Dal congratulating me on my acceptance, so hopefully that has cemented it.

With regard to McGill, can I ask what your last name starts with? Mine is S, and if what has been mentioned earlier about the alphabetical nature of their acceptance / rejection process, hopefully they just haven't gotten to us yet!
    Hey ReS,
    Same with me on Dal, got the FGS email yesterday and I'm assuming it's a go for my admission! As for McGill, my last name starts with C. So I have no idea if I've been rejected or the school is just incredibly slow to send out notice. I'm keeping my hopes up that they've decided to take their sweet time to offer me admission (err, haha). Best of luck, perhaps see you in the fall!

     
    Registered
    Oct 2009
    Congrats to those that were admitted.

     
    Registered
    Oct 2009
    Received a letter the other day from Ryerson that said "Ryerson is unable to admit you at this time" or something along those lines. I just started my second planning job so its not a be all end all but still hurts the ego for sure. Applied to Calgary as well for their second coming of their MEDes (Planning) program, nothing yet....March 1st was admissions deadline.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally posted by ggilber3 View post
    Received a letter the other day from Ryerson that said "Ryerson is unable to admit you at this time" or something along those lines. I just started my second planning job so its not a be all end all but still hurts the ego for sure. Applied to Calgary as well for their second coming of their MEDes (Planning) program, nothing yet....March 1st was admissions deadline.
    Last year University of Calgary didn't send out acceptance until May or so! So lots of reasons to remain positive.

Sad to see no one will be joining us at University of Waterloo. But, best of luck to all those pursuing planning at other schools. Grad school is fantastic!

     
    Registered
    Oct 2009
    Received an unofficial official acceptance via email to the MEDes (Planning) Program at U of C on Friday with official acceptance packages to go out May 2nd. Not sure if I'm going to accept but I have some time to consider it.

Registered
    Mar 2011
    Ryerson: not admitted (via snail mail)
    McGill: application status says "refused" (no snail mail, yet)
    Dalhousie: Email from the planning department and Faculty of Grad Studies stating admission (waiting on my admission package to arrive).

Looks like Ryerson and McGill's loss will be Dalhousie's gain. See all other future Dal students this September!

Registered
    Nov 2010
    It's been a week since anybody posted in this thread

Is anybody else still waiting to hear back from schools?
    I still haven't heard anything from Ryerson

Registered
    May 2011

I heard back from Ryerson on the 19th of April. Got accepted to the MEng program in Electrical and Computer Engineering. Deadlines for me was May 5th. So I guess the next set or rounds should go out after that. Don't know about the other programs though.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2011

Defering / re-applying

Has anyone had any experiences with defering addmitance, or choosing to re-apply in another year? Is anyone tempted to defer?

I wonder if most universities allow you to re-apply without re-submitting documents (eg. reference letter, which can be a bit of a pain to get).

Anyone ever defered/declined and regretted it, or thought it was the right decision to make?

Registered
    Oct 2010
    I think that's one of those questions which is a greater concern in an uncertain economy. Personally, I'd love to learn more constantly but the realities of growing up are: student debt; a current or eventual need to support a family; and job prospects which aren't interested in the most-skilled, or most-educated worker, so much as they are in the one that fits the box best.

I'd also be interested in answers from both the student side and the university side.

Registered
    Apr 2011
    Has anyone had any experiences with defering addmitance, or choosing to re-apply in another year? Is anyone tempted to defer?

I wonder if most universities allow you to re-apply without re-submitting documents (eg. reference letter, which can be a bit of a pain to get).

Anyone ever defered/declined and regretted it, or thought it was the right decision to make?
    I have had this exact experience. Last year I chose to decline Dalhousie so that I could have a year off before beginning my Masters (I told them this). They kindly told me that my transcripts and reference letters would both be kept until next year. And sure enough I only had to resubmit my forms, statements, and fees. I don't know about deferring, but I got reaccepted to Dal (though I chose McGill).

So I would recommend asking if you could defer, and if not if they would kindly keep your application as you intend to reapply next year.

Registered
    Nov 2011

questions abt dal

Quote Originally posted by hipp5 View post
    For all those of you anxious about Dalhousie:

I'm a student there now (although I'm not on the admissions committee). From talking to the other students in my class about when they got accepted it sounds like applicants with a GPA over 3.7 should be hearing right around this time. It seems like the rest go out around to end of April or so.

If anybody has questions about the program here feel free to ask me.
    I am applying to dalhousie and ryerson for next fall 2012. Can I know more about dal's program? Class size? internship? research facilities? in general about halifax..lifestyle..rent..other cost of living etc?

Thanks!

Registered
    Nov 2011

2012 fall application.

This whole thread was very useful!

I wanted to know people's average for last 2 years who applied to mcgill, waterloo and queens or other universities? Also... people who got accepted and started their masters in 2011 fall...can you please share your experiences so far?

I am considering Dalhousie and Ryerson but i want a third school too...for urban planning masters.

I did Environmental Study from York with specialization in urban planning. My last year's average would be an A on the dot...and last 2 years would be higher B close to B+ but not quiet a B+ to be exact. I do have strong references and a letter of intent with pretty good field related experiences [traveling, international field experiences from school and work experiences in a community development firm].

I know ryerson and Dalhousie would consider my application..but i do not meet academic requirement of B+ and above in last 2 years for other universities. Hence I needed some advice as to where else to apply.

Please let me know.

Thanks

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2010
    I am applying to dalhousie and ryerson for next fall 2012. Can I know more about dal's program? Class size? internship? research facilities? in general about halifax..lifestyle..rent..other cost of living etc?

Thanks!
    Class size for the Masters program seems to fluctuate between the high teens and the mid-twenties. They send out more acceptances than they expect to have because not everyone will take them up on the offer. So the size depends on how many people accept. My year had 19 to start and we finished with 14. I believe the total population of the undergrad program is around 250 students. So the total population of the school is just under 300.

You do a summer internship between your first and second year. I loved the Dal program, but to be honest this is the one place where I was really disappointed. While the internship is required (and you pay $500 for the credit), there is very little help actually getting one. You're pretty much expected to find it on your own.

I don't know what you mean specifically about "research" facilities. I guess the building itself is old but reasonably nice. Classrooms are functional, and unless your class is huge you'll get your own desk in the studio. The building is also shared with the architects so it means there's lots of good facilities like a wood shop and laser cutter and stuff (not that you'll have time to use them). There's also a great print shop where printing is at-cost (saved me hundreds of dollars over my degree). The downside of sharing the building with the architects is that you'll often find your desk has been appropriated for some exhibition or another.

Halifax is a wonderful city. It has a really nice vibe and is beautiful in the summer (a bit wet and slushy in the winter). It's big, but not too big. I do know that some people from Toronto and other big cities feel like there's not a whole lot going on, but I never found that to be the case. The downside of Halifax is that living is expensive. A decent one bedroom within an easy walking distance to school will be $900/mo. If you're willing to take a roommate or live a little farther from school it's not too bad though. You can get places on an easy bus route (bus pass is included at Dal) for $600/mo.

As for the program, I would say it's very project-based. There's a heavy studio component. If you're considering being a consultant it's a really great place to go. If you intend to work somewhere more policy-based it's not as good of a choice. That's not to say that it's terrible though; I'm currently working in a policy-based workplace and getting along just fine. The heavy emphasis that Dal places on writing well really helps. The professors are very friendly, caring, and a little bit eclectic. I think they're doing a little bit of soul searching at the moment to decide exactly what the program should be and what it should teach, but it still works out in the end.

I hope that helps. PM me if you have any other questions.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2011
    Hi all,

American student applying to UBC, also to UW-Seattle, UC Berkeley, and maybe MIT in the States. Don't know if I'll get in but might as well give it a shot. Desired focuses are Transportation & Urban Development Planning for UBC.

Double-major: Geography/GIS, Community/Env. Planning
    GPA: 3.77 cum., 3.90 major
    REALLY mediocre GRE scores, always sucked at standardized tests.

Currently planning intern at local transit agency, lot of extracurricular transportation-related work, but don't know how that will factor in. I'm not too worried if I get a rejection sweep from all schools as I'm partial to going directly to professional work.

One question for the UBC students/applicants-- how lenient are they on documents that miss the deadline? I've submitted my app, notified all referees, sent all test scores and transcripts well before the deadline, but one of the last things they haven't gotten is my transcript, despite having been sent more than a week ago. Will I be okay if that comes in a little late? I don't want to have paid a $150 int'l application fee to find out that they won't even bother reviewing my app.

Registered
    May 2011
    Quote Originally posted by Backstrom View post
    One question for the UBC students/applicants-- how lenient are they on documents that miss the deadline? I've submitted my app, notified all referees, sent all test scores and transcripts well before the deadline, but one of the last things they haven't gotten is my transcript, despite having been sent more than a week ago. Will I be okay if that comes in a little late? I don't want to have paid a $150 int'l application fee to find out that they won't even bother reviewing my app.
    Backstrom, I'm having the same issue with them right now. I sent my GRE scores at the beginning of November and they still haven't registered on my online application. Nothing you can do about it now really, so I'm just telling myself that they are probably sorting through a giant stack of mail and haven't entered it into their database. Right? .... !!!??!?!

+ Reply to thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 129
    Last post: 18 Mar 2014, 10:38 PM
  2. Replies: 708
    Last post: 26 Jul 2011, 6:59 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last post: 05 Aug 2010, 4:23 PM
  4. Replies: 240
    Last post: 07 Jul 2010, 7:57 PM