Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: BA to MLA in Canada/UK

Registered
    Jul 2011

BA to MLA in Canada/UK

Hi, new to the forums. I'm so glad to find this site as I have read lots of interesting things here within just the past few hours!

Anyways, I have a question regarding my future plans to do a Master in either urban planning or landscape arch.

I am a 4th year student studying BA geography. I recently finished an exchange aboard in which I took a few landscape architecture courses. Needless to say, I got really into it and I hope to pursue it. Therefore, what schools in Canada/UK offer MLA programmes for non BLA graduates?

Thanks

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2008
    Well I know in the UK there are numerous courses. What immediately comes to mind is the Bartlett at UCL. In addition, you could try the Architectural Association in London. Both programmes are very strong and are very design focused. You might also be interested in exploring the planning route (with focus on urban design). That might open up more opportunities, for instance McGill in Canada is a very strong planning programme (from what I've heard).

I could help direct some questions about UK schools maybe better than Canada ones, but do let me know if I can help further. Best of luck!!!

Registered
    Jul 2011
    UBC, UManitoba, UGuelph and UToronto all offer MLA without needing previous experience. There are not a lot of MLA programs in Canada, just the 4. The programs are pretty small so there could be a lot of competition to get in. I almost applied to MLA but changed my mind.

You might get more info from Land8lounge. Just ignore all the negative talk. If MLA is what you love, go for it.

Good luck

Registered
    Jul 2011
    From my review of various masters programs (back when I was looking), it doesn't seem to matter too much what your undergraduate degree is in - although it is certainly better to have a closely related major. GPA is far more important.

Also, geography was the major for the planning profession before there were any formal planning programs at universities, so I'd say you're probably fine with a geography major.

The only down side is that you'll probably have to take some "remedial" (i.e., undergraduate) courses since your undergraduate wasn't in LA.

Just my $0.02.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Happy Canada Day/Fete du Canada
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 14
    Last post: 02 Jul 2013, 9:04 AM
  2. Hey from Canada =)
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 07 Dec 2009, 4:27 PM
  3. Hey Hey from Canada