Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 29 1 2 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Graduate/PhD 2011-2012 applications and acceptance notices: United States

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

Graduate/PhD 2011-2012 applications and acceptance notices: United States

Last year's thread

It's a new school year, and this a new grad/PhD application and acceptance thread. Enjoy, and good luck!
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2010
    Looking to start applying to several PhD Planning programs for Fall 2011. Looking at:
    U Washington
    UT Austin
    UC Denver
    UMass Amherst
    UNC Chapel Hill
    U Michigan
    Ohio State
    U Oregon (LA Based)

Have BLA (Bach Landscape Architecture) 2001 w/ 3.3 GPA
    9+ years experience of land planning and 3+ years as General Manager.
    Currently in MBA program at local university with expected December graduation w/ 3.9 GPA.

Retaking the GRE in September. First time I took GRE I prepared very little and did just enough to meet minimum entry requirements.
    610 Math
    490 Verbal
    4.0 in Writing

I hope to do much better this time around, been studying for over a month now.
    Looking for any tips, suggestions on boosting application materials, etc. Also, any thoughts on the above listed schools or schools I might be missing? Trying to stay out of Cali and Ivy league. Thanks everyone

smallwine

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2008
    Was going to apply last year but got complacent due to my job.

Pretty much only applying to schools in CA as it's where I want to work after graduating.

Berkeley
    UCLA
    USC
    Cal Poly SLO
    UCI (Maybe, I really don't want to live in the OC for two years)

Graduated from a large CA public university in 07 with a degree in Political Science and a minor in Geography. I have 2 years of experience as a private sector land use planning intern and over 3 years of experience as a planner for an international consulting firm. Projects worked on range from TOD studies and plans to transit planning and corridor studies.

Stats:
    GPA: 3.1 (Major 3.6)
    GRE (Going to retake in hopes of higher quantitative and writing scores)
    640 Verbal
    600 Math
    4.0 Writing

Registered
    Nov 2009
    I'm looking at returning to school for a PhD program.

So far, I am considering the following:
    UCLA and USC for a planning program
    San Diego State University for a geography program
    and UC Santa Cruz for environmental studies

It is going to be a long ride!!! Eager to get back into academia though!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2010
    Retook the GRE today and it wasn't as good as hoped for or expected after several weeks of studying. Although I did raise by 100 points.

Verbal 560
    Quant 640
    Waiting on essay scores of course

I hope my SOP, relative experience and portfolio can make up for any potential issues the GRE may create.

Now on to the applications.

Prospective schools

So check it, applying to 8 schools. I've actually dropped and added schools within the past couple of months thanks to reading the forums, so i definitely appreciate all the comments and rants/raves. It's really nice to read the insider thoughts. This is such a better place to get info than say: studentreview.com or the actual school website ("I am so happy I chose this school....")

In order of hopes and dreams for Master of City Planning (or urban/policy variation):
    UI-Chicago
    UNC-Chapel Hill
    GATech
    NYU
    UC-Denver
    Rutgers
    Hunter College
    Clemson

GRE:1340 - GPA: 3.1
    Studied abroad in Buenos Aires, ARG and Bogota, COL. My letters of rec. are from some respectable sources so Im confident I will get accepted into at least 4 of the 8. Currently, volunteering for local planning firm in Augusta, GA. I NEED to get out of this city. Anyways, good luck everyone

I was going to apply last year but I became complacent with my current job and decided to wait until now.

Stats: University of North Carolina, Wilmington; 3.4 GPA (3.8 my last 2 years); 1060 GRE (retaking it in October)

Work experience: 2 planning internships (each lasting about 7-9 months); Research Assistant for a public health research organization (about 2 years).

Applying to: UNC (MCRP/MPH joint program), Tufts, Rutgers, Univ of Washington (Health Geography program), UC Irvine, North Carolina State University (MPA).

My SOP and letters of recommendation should be solid. My obvious weakness is the GRE. Best of luck to everyone!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2010
    Oh, gosh. It's finally my turn to participate in one of these threads.

Looking at a billion (okay, 10) schools so far:

U Washington - Seattle
    Portland State
    UC Berkeley
    UI - Chicago
    U Minnesota - Twin Cities
    U Penn
    MIT
    Harvard
    Rutgers
    U Wisconsin - Madison

I think that's it so far. My list keeps growing and changing, so...

GPA: 3.8
    GRE: 670 V, 720 Q, 4.5 W

I published some research (any other McNairs out there?), and my recommendations are going to be from my faculty mentors and thesis advisors. Hopefully they'll be good!

Glad to have this experience with all you other Cyburbians. It's...stressful. But at least we can all be stressed out together!

Good luck everyone!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2010
    Glad to be joining you all. I'll be applying this year too. I'm a bit worried since I don't have related experience in urban planning, only a strong interest. I worked in finance since graduating in 2007. But a lot of people are in similar situations right?

As of now, I am looking at
    USC
    University of Michigan
    University of Pennsylvania
    Cornell University
    University of Hawaii

GPA: 3.71 from Tufts University
    GRE: striving for 1350 or better

Registered
    Mar 2008
    Finally applying to grad school. Looking into the following programs:

Portland State
    UOregon
    UWash
    San Josť
    UCDenver
    Clemson
    North Carolina
    Rutgers

I am most interested in sustainable cities, youth, and walkability. I have a BA in Geography from Syracuse with a 3.7 GPA. Scheduled for GRE at the end of the month.

Any suggestions?

Registered
    Aug 2010
    I've been accepted to Ohio State and Buffalo. Still waiting to hear from McGill. Dan, what can you tell me about Buffalo's program?

Registered
    May 2010
    Stats: B.S. in Psychology from University of Maryland University College, 2006, 3.63 GPA (Dean's list last 2 years);
    GRE: 1260, 4.0 on writing

Work experience: 1+ year in Housing & Comm. Development for the City (current); completed 1 term as an AmeriCorps*VISTA volunteer (full-time); ~4 years in kitchen & bath design/project management

Applying to: UT Austin, Texas A&M, GA Tech, UNC Chapel Hill

3.63 GPA
    670 Q, 710 V, 4.0 W (retaking in November to improve Q and W)
    Experience: 1 year AmeriCorps in workforce development, 1 year at nonprofit doing foreclosure counseling, 1+ years at local government community development agency in foreclosure and homeownership programs. Also participated in summer planning program at UC Berkeley this year.

Definitely applying to:
    University of Illinois-Chicago
    University of Texas-Austin
    University of Minnesota
    Portland State University

Considering Penn or Cornell, but not sure about my chances.

Registered
    Aug 2010
    V: 560
    Q: 650

GPA: 3.5, last 90 units

I have close to a year's working experience as a planning intern.

I want to apply to
    -USC
    -UCLA
    -UCB
    - Rutgers
    - Penn or Cornell
    -UNC Chapel

...I think I may have to retake my GREs.

Just planning programs include (i'll get 'em narrowed soon):
    Univ. of Minn
    Auburn (with MPA)
    Univ. of Colorado (with MBA)
    Eastern Michigan
    Boston University
    Tufts (though, I may wait on this one and apply in a year(

Other programs (public affairs/policy, urban affairs, etc.)
    Loyola - Chicago
    George Washington
    American
    Carnegie Mellon
    as well as a couple other curve balls (organizational/leadership mgmt)

Stats:
    BS Philosophy - univ. of Wisconsin
    2.6 GPA (2.9 last 2 years)
    6 months volunteering at New Orleans mayor's office (post katrina)
    Peace Corps, including over a year helping a town council
    Also, I'm an "underrepresented minority." They say it doesn't matter, but I know is does.
    GRE TBD

I never know if I'm deluding or short selling myself.... meh.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Twin Citizen View post
    3.63 GPA
    670 Q, 710 V, 4.0 W (retaking in November to improve Q and W)
    Experience: 1 year AmeriCorps in workforce development, 1 year at nonprofit doing foreclosure counseling, 1+ years at local government community development agency in foreclosure and homeownership programs. Also participated in summer planning program at UC Berkeley this year.

Definitely applying to:
    University of Illinois-Chicago
    University of Texas-Austin
    University of Minnesota
    Portland State University

Considering Penn or Cornell, but not sure about my chances.
    I'd say your scores, grades, and work experience make you a really good candidate for Penn or Cornell. Don't write yourself off.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2010

McNair FTW

Quote Originally posted by quietsilver View post

I published some research (any other McNairs out there?), and my recommendations are going to be from my faculty mentors and thesis advisors. Hopefully they'll be good!
    Hello fellow McNair Scholar! Didn't think they existed on this board.

I'm also applying to graduate school.

GPA: 3.5 (3.8 for major)
    GRE: 550 Verbal, 610 Quant, 3.5 Writing
    Experience: 1 year transportation planning, 1 year serving as a student rep for strategic planning task force, sustainability committee, and facilities and operations. Leadership experience as president of PSO at my school and student rep for the local chapter. Merit award from my department and scholarship from student government. McNair research experience followed with 3 conference presentations (not published though =\). And rounding things off with a 10 month term in Americorps NCCC (just begun).

Applying to:
    Berkeley
    Cornell
    UPenn
    UWash-Seattle
    Rutgers
    Portland State
    Georgia Tech
    NYU
    Maryland, College Park

It's an ambitious list. Do I think I can get in? =\\\\ . sigh. My recommenders will be my Professors.

Good luck to everyone!

Quote Originally posted by WPGHSC View post
    I'd say your scores, grades, and work experience make you a really good candidate for Penn or Cornell. Don't write yourself off.
    Thanks WPGHSC! I decided to go for it and apply to Cornell.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Okkoflo View post
    Hello fellow McNair Scholar! Didn't think they existed on this board.

I'm also applying to graduate school.

GPA: 3.5 (3.8 for major)
    GRE: 550 Verbal, 610 Quant, 3.5 Writing
    Experience: 1 year transportation planning, 1 year serving as a student rep for strategic planning task force, sustainability committee, and facilities and operations. Leadership experience as president of PSO at my school and student rep for the local chapter. Merit award from my department and scholarship from student government. McNair research experience followed with 3 conference presentations (not published though =\). And rounding things off with a 10 month term in Americorps NCCC (just begun).

Applying to:
    Berkeley
    Cornell
    UPenn
    UWash-Seattle
    Rutgers
    Portland State
    Georgia Tech
    NYU
    Maryland, College Park

It's an ambitious list. Do I think I can get in? =\\\\ . sigh. My recommenders will be my Professors.

Good luck to everyone!
    You should be able to get into the top three on your list. Good luck.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2010
    Officially submitted apps to Ohio State, Wisconsin-Madison, UMass Amherst, and UT Austin over the weekend to each school's PhD planning program. Now the wait begins.

Still in-progress with UNC Chapel-Hill and UC Denver.

Hopefully I can get into at least one, but a choice would be great.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2006

BA (Hons.) Human Geography, emphasis in urban studies, Simon Fraser University, June 2011
    GPA: 3.9
    GRE: 1490 (760Q, 730V), AW section pending

Worked 2.5 years in special needs care, 2.5 years as public school teaching assistant
    Internship at inner-city non-profit
    University-affiliated volunteer work
    Part of a grassroots urban design workgroup

The list (so far):
    MIT
    Berkeley
    UCLA
    UBC
    U Toronto
    McGill
    UCL Bartlett

I Intend to focus on urban design theory and practice, so I'm trying to put together a portfolio in addition to all the other application hoo-haw. Any advice on portfolios for urban design is welcome!

No direct work experience, so we'll see how far the strong academics/GRE take me with all these selective schools. I still think I'll need some solid references and SOP to stand a chance at some of these places.

Best of luck everyone, I know this process is all-consuming!

Registered
    Sep 2010
    I'm looking into a few schools that I'm afraid are a bit of a stretch for my stats, but hopefully with a solid SOP I have a chance.

GPA: 3.3 (University of Washington)- Political Science
    GRE: V:580 Q:750 W 4.0

I don't have any professional planning experience but am in my second AmeriCorps VISTA year with a low-income housing non-profit.

I'm applying to

NYU
    UC Berkley
    Portland State
    UCLA
    Rutgers
    USC

I was going to apply to Cornell but figured it's too far of a stretch since I cannot get a strong academic recomendation- most will be from my current supervisors.

Has anyone heard if there is a trends of increased graduate school applications because of people looking at other options due to the job market?

I'm posting for the first time, but since I just submitted by first app, I figured now is a good time!

BA: Sociology, minor in Landscape Studies, Smith College
    GPA: 3.62/3.77 (major)
    GRE: 1210 (5.0 writing)

- Internship with the Regional Plan Association in NYC
    - Internship with the NYC Department of Parks and Rec
    - Intern for the Office of Planning and Devlopment in my college town
    - Currently in a year of service with AmeriCorps in NYC working for a non-planning- related city agency

My (really long) list:

Rutgers
    UPenn
    NYU
    Columbia
    Pratt
    Hunter
    UIC
    Harvard
    Cornell
    U Albany

I'm pretty disappointed with my GRE, but I've heard enough schools say they don't weigh it heavily to ease my mind for now. Mainly, I'm just pretty clueless as to what my chances are and I don't really have any sense of where I could get it. Also, financial aid is important. Anyone have experience with certain schools being really great or really bad with aid?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally posted by kmart1223 View post
    I'm posting for the first time, but since I just submitted by first app, I figured now is a good time!

BA: Sociology, minor in Landscape Studies, Smith College
    GPA: 3.62/3.77 (major)
    GRE: 1210 (5.0 writing)

- Internship with the Regional Plan Association in NYC
    - Internship with the NYC Department of Parks and Rec
    - Intern for the Office of Planning and Devlopment in my college town
    - Currently in a year of service with AmeriCorps in NYC working for a non-planning- related city agency

My (really long) list:

Rutgers
    UPenn
    NYU
    Columbia
    Pratt
    Hunter
    UIC
    Harvard
    Cornell
    U Albany

I'm pretty disappointed with my GRE, but I've heard enough schools say they don't weigh it heavily to ease my mind for now. Mainly, I'm just pretty clueless as to what my chances are and I don't really have any sense of where I could get it. Also, financial aid is important. Anyone have experience with certain schools being really great or really bad with aid?
    Your profile is very similar to many of my colleagues at columbia. Looks like a good list.
    MS Urban Planning '12
    GSAPP

Okay, as a newbie here, I'll throw my hat in... very nervous about apps, but we'll see. My list is very small - my city choices are limited due to my significant other's work and places we are both willing to live. I am also aiming to be a designer, but I am applying to 2 MLA programs and 2 planning programs.

Berkeley (MLA)
    Harvard (MLA)
    MIT (Planning/Urban Design focus)
    UCLA (Planning, in conjunction with LA certificate)

I am currently in my first year of UCLA Extension's LA certificate program, which can license me as an LA in California, but I'd like my master's so I can teach, be a competitive job applicant, and focus on school full time for a few years.

29 y.o., BFA in the arts from a top private school, career changer with a successful 9 year career in film/tv, good professional references, decent art/LA portfolio, 1470 GRE, 3.0 GPA (I never thought I'd be applying to grad school

I have NO idea what my chances are, but I'm excited to send these apps in! Good luck to everyone.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 29 1 2 11 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 131
    Last post: 10 Apr 2014, 2:44 PM
  2. Replies: 587
    Last post: 01 Apr 2014, 4:13 PM
  3. Replies: 573
    Last post: 12 May 2012, 3:29 AM
  4. Replies: 1966
    Last post: 13 Jul 2010, 3:45 PM