Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 10 of 29 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 20 ... LastLast

Thread: Graduate/PhD 2011-2012 applications and acceptance notices: United States

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally posted by sunshine View post
    on another note, i was extremely unimpressed with the masters program at berkeley talking to former students. the quality of education seems questionable unless it relates to sustainability. i'm rather surprised it ranks so highly on planetizen...and actually also surprising are the amount of public schools on the list.
    This is really interesting, I had no idea about Berkeley. It's sort of high on my list, but I admit I don't really know *too* much about it other than the hurrah-hurrah of its website and speaking to recruiters. Could you elaborate on what else you were unimpressed by?

Quote Originally posted by sunsetskylines View post
    I just got an e-mail-probably within this hour. No mention of aid in the letter, but I suppose more may come in the mail. I haven't yet gotten a mailed packet from any of the three schools I've heard from.

3 down, 5 to go, so I definitely understand the difficulty with staying calm.
    Blob and Sunset congrats on Tufts!

Sunset, I'm a current Tufts student. I got my e-mail acceptance from the Department at Tufts at the end of February and got information about the financial aid offer in a letter that came from the graduate school of arts and sciences about two weeks later. If you have any questions, feel free to PM.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2010
    it wasn't really bad or anything, but just not quite what i had expected...most masters students from there continue their PhD there, and the program is known for being much more scholarly-based than practice-based. they pump out a lot of written research and theory, but i feel like very few people i've encountered actually come out to practice it...i dunno just my 2 cents
    Oh yea they are definitely more research based but then again, I kind of like research

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2008
    it wasn't really bad or anything, but just not quite what i had expected...most masters students from there continue their PhD there, and the program is known for being much more scholarly-based than practice-based. they pump out a lot of written research and theory, but i feel like very few people i've encountered actually come out to practice it...i dunno just my 2 cents
    Might have to disagree with you on this one. I was at the open house back in October and while I did run into quite a few PhD students who had gotten their MCP at Berkeley, I also got to meet quite a few alums who were out practicing in the real world. I also spoke with some current students who were very happy with the balance of theory and practice. The programs offers tons of studio courses in every concentration. I've been working as a private sector planner in CA for the last six years and can tell you that consulting firms in CA are chalk full of Berkeley alums. Especially some of the higher end boutique firms based up in the Bay Area (Calthorpe, Dyett and Bahtia, DCE, etc.). Plus, pretty much every public planning agency and department up there is run by a Berkeley MCP alum.

But then again, that's just my two cents. If you didn't get a good feeling from the program, it's probably better that you applied to other programs you liked more. Finding a good fit is definitely one of the most important factors in choosing a grad school.

Registered
    May 2010

Acceptances

Been lurking for a bit, but figured I'd post my information:

UNC - Accepted
    University of Washington - Waiting
    UVA- Waiting
    University of Wisconsin - Accepted

Good luck to everyone.

Registered
    Mar 2011
    also berkeley is getting hit hard by california budget cuts (as with all uc's), and is losing a lot of star faculty and services are being cut, i.e. the CED department offices are not open as often as they used to be, and classes are cancelled, and there's not enough money to pay the GSI's in a lot of courses, which translates into more grading and paperwork per person.

Registered
    Mar 2011
    Last edited by sunshine; 06 Mar 2011 at 9:15 PM. Reason: adding link

Registered
    May 2010
    I've also been lurking for quite a while, and thought I'd post my info:

Clemson: MCRP - Accepted
    Georgia Tech: MCRP - Rejected
    Auburn: MCP - Accepted
    UGA: MEPD - Accepted

Just waiting to hear financial aid offers before I make a final decision, but UGA's new program is a strong front runner.

Quote Originally posted by jmc View post
    I've also been lurking for quite a while, and thought I'd post my info:

Clemson: MCRP - Accepted
    Georgia Tech: MCRP - Rejected
    Auburn: MCP - Accepted
    UGA: MEPD - Accepted

Just waiting to hear financial aid offers before I make a final decision, but UGA's new program is a strong front runner.
    Congrats! When/How did you find out about Georgia Tech? I have not heard back from them yet.

Registered
    Mar 2011
    Slow acceptance day. lol.

Also, I need a new F5 key.

Registered
    May 2010
    Quote Originally posted by PlanningGuy9 View post
    Congrats! When/How did you find out about Georgia Tech? I have not heard back from them yet.
    Checked my status this a.m. " A final decision has been made. You will receive a notification letter form the department."

This means no go. If your status says you will receive two letters, one from the department, one from the graduate school, then you're in.

I'm pretty sure I was kicked out in the very first round. I think they had in excess of 600 applicants for 40 some positions in this fall's class.

Good luck, and don't loose hope.Last year some people didn't get a decision until the middle of May.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2010
    just got notification from Rutgers! check your emails guys

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally posted by blobject345 View post
    Slow acceptance day. lol.

Also, I need a new F5 key.
    Totally agree. The next 10 days or so are going to be incredibly tough to wait out. All of my friends in other fields have already heard from their top schools ans I'm still just waiting and hoping.

Anyone have any sage advice on waiting it out with a job/life other than just refreshing this forum and the grad cafe every 5 mins?

Waiting game...

I've been looking at posts for a while.

I'm getting anxious.. Waiting for:
    Texas A&M MUP
    Texas A&M Master Real Estate
    UT Arlington MCRP
    Calpoly SLO MCRP -I did my undergrad at calpoly and know they're pinched for funding, so I'm not expecting to hear from CP slo until April/may

Good luck to everyone...

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2010
    refreshing this forum and the grad cafe every 5 mins?
    just summed up my life (as I'm sure alot of other people) for the past 2 weeks. quite sad haha

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally posted by Okkoflo View post
    just summed up my life (as I'm sure alot of other people) for the past 2 weeks. quite sad haha
    And if last year is any indication, a whole bunch of schools will keep us hanging on like this for close to 2 more weeks.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2010
    And if last year is any indication, a whole bunch of schools will keep us hanging on like this for close to 2 more weeks.

oh god..

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2011

UCLA

Has anyone heard anything from UCLA yet? I think there was one notice on the grad cafe last week but I haven't seen anything else so am wondering if it was real.

i got accepted to UTexas-Austin and Clemson.

Still waiting on GATECH, UNC, UVA, UI-Chicago, and Rutgers.

I'm really considering going to UT even though its far away. I'm worried that the program isn't as competitive as i think it is.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2008
    It just adds to my already elevated anxiety level...

Registered
    Feb 2011

UNC

Folks,

Just got an acceptance letter from UNC! Tiny letter in the mail.

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Yep. Gmail / Cyburbia Thread / Gmail / Cyburbia Thread / Gmail

It's funny too, since I already got into the two schools my decision will, most likely, come down to (unless I'm offered something by one of the ones I haven't heard from)... UPenn or U of Michigan? Heavy Debt or In-State Tuition? I'm 90% sure my mind has already been made up. Still I continue to check...

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally posted by coryweaver View post
    Yep. Gmail / Cyburbia Thread / Gmail / Cyburbia Thread / Gmail

It's funny too, since I already got into the two schools my decision will, most likely, come down to (unless I'm offered something by one of the ones I haven't heard from)... UPenn or U of Michigan? Heavy Debt or In-State Tuition? I'm 90% sure my mind has already been made up. Still I continue to check...
    ha, in at michigan and penn as well. two very solid options, and yet I have developed the same habit. it's funny, because I wasn't anxious at all until a few days ago.

Registered
    Mar 2011
    CWC2005, would you mind sharing your stats? UNC is making me wait.

Registered
    Mar 2011

Texas

nateakadino - Texas is definitely a competitive program, the website says the program only had a 43% acceptance last year. Not that competitiveness necessarily means a school is "better" - especially in planning. I feel very lucky to have gotten into Texas and hope it bodes well for some of the (even) more competitive programs I applied to.

+ Reply to thread
Page 10 of 29 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 20 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 131
    Last post: 10 Apr 2014, 2:44 PM
  2. Replies: 587
    Last post: 01 Apr 2014, 4:13 PM
  3. Replies: 573
    Last post: 12 May 2012, 3:29 AM
  4. Replies: 1966
    Last post: 13 Jul 2010, 3:45 PM