Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 19 28 29

Thread: Graduate/PhD 2011-2012 applications and acceptance notices: United States

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2010

Idealism

....or maybe I will just become a famous opera singer... that could happen, right? Haha... I'm not completely altruistic... I just want to have some adventures, see the world, and make some cities... and I'll work wherever will let me do that. I'll most likely end up working for Peace Corps in Timbuktu. But when I win my Nobel Peace Prize, I'll remember to thank Penn Planner! HAHA.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    Well at least Peace Corps has urban planning positions. That's honestly what I'm doing after I graduate in a couple weeks. I'm not thrilled of the current planning prospects domestically so may as well get my foot in the water internationally. Just unfortunate most of their planning positions seem to go out in the first half of the year and that doesn't line up well with my graduation time, so will have to wait several months.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally posted by Blide View post
    Well at least Peace Corps has urban planning positions. That's honestly what I'm doing after I graduate in a couple weeks. I'm not thrilled of the current planning prospects domestically so may as well get my foot in the water internationally. Just unfortunate most of their planning positions seem to go out in the first half of the year and that doesn't line up well with my graduation time, so will have to wait several months.
    Are you going to work (PTO) or volunteer (PCV)?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    Going in as a PCV. Sounds like it'll basically be working in a random planning office in another country. Then working with some NGOs on various issues.

Georgia Tech

Got in to UC Denver, UF, FAU, UI-Chicago, and Georgia Tech
    Declined from UCLA

Going to Georgia Tech. They had a good open house and atlanta is a good potential job market to get tapped into with their co-op program. Here we go!

Registered
    Apr 2011
    Finally decided to go to Pratt Institute over NYU Wagner (the only schools I applied to)...it felt like a difficult decision even though I couldn't go wrong. I think they're both great schools and it was a little like comparing apples and oranges, but I liked Pratt's super practical approach. It's heavily geared towards honing your community outreach skills (as well as the design aspect that they're well known for). Anyone else going this year?

Registered
    Jul 2011
    So, slight dilemma:
    I applied only to one school: Virginia Tech (for a dual Masters in Natural Resources and Urban/Regional Planning in the National Capital Region) and was accepted. I think I may be missing out by not applying to other schools, but I am not sure if it's worth it or not (by the time I enroll in VT, I will be eligible for in-state tuition which saves me big bucks).

Me:
    B.S Environmental Studies, B.A. Biology from Elon U., 3.6 GPA (Cum Laude)
    1 year crew leader in conservation corps (Americorps)
    1 year nonprofit project creation in environmental education org (stipend volunteer)
    internship in a state air resources permitting office
    (+other odd jobs)

GRE: 1240 total, 7.0 writing

I was also considering applying to Harvard, UCLA, and Berkeley...I am looking for a sustainable development/natural resource conservation-focused program.
    Any suggestions or opinions?

Thanks y'all!

Registered
    Feb 2009
    In this economy, in-state tuition at a well respected school is worth quite a bit. Consider not only the opportunity costs of deferring grad school for another year but also the contingency that the other schools you're considering 1) may not accept you or 2) may cost a lot more than an in-state institution. Other considerations you probably want to keep in mind are where you want to end up - both geographically and careerwise - and how well your choice of school fits your desired trajectory.

Full disclosure: I am a 2011 graduate from the VT MURP program (Blacksburg) and am fortunate enough to be starting a new, relevant, and interesting job next week.

Either way, I know you're looking at a tough decision. Good luck!

Quote Originally posted by starrynight View post
    So, slight dilemma:
    I applied only to one school: Virginia Tech (for a dual Masters in Natural Resources and Urban/Regional Planning in the National Capital Region) and was accepted. I think I may be missing out by not applying to other schools, but I am not sure if it's worth it or not (by the time I enroll in VT, I will be eligible for in-state tuition which saves me big bucks).

Me:
    B.S Environmental Studies, B.A. Biology from Elon U., 3.6 GPA (Cum Laude)
    1 year crew leader in conservation corps (Americorps)
    1 year nonprofit project creation in environmental education org (stipend volunteer)
    internship in a state air resources permitting office
    (+other odd jobs)

GRE: 1240 total, 7.0 writing

I was also considering applying to Harvard, UCLA, and Berkeley...I am looking for a sustainable development/natural resource conservation-focused program.
    Any suggestions or opinions?

Thanks y'all!
    Process and dismissal. Shelter and location. Everybody wants somewhere.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Mar 2011

Capital!

Huzzah! Full funding from UMass: one research assistantship gets your tuition/fees/health insurance covered, along with a full stipend!

However, shortly after getting the phone call from my department head, I sat down and tore the pocket of my suit pants on a chair at work. It was a sobering counterpoint to my otherwise Katrina & the Waves-ish "Walking on Sunshine."

+ Reply to thread
Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 19 28 29

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 135
    Last post: 07 Oct 2014, 2:33 AM
  2. Replies: 587
    Last post: 01 Apr 2014, 4:13 PM
  3. Replies: 573
    Last post: 12 May 2012, 3:29 AM
  4. Replies: 1966
    Last post: 13 Jul 2010, 3:45 PM