Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Poor American beers (La bière américaine merde)

Registered
    Jul 2007

Poor American beers (La bière américaine merde)

Let's face it, American beer is nowhere near as good as most Canadian beer. Why do you suppose that is? Take Sleeman's for example. The superior water is clean and unadulterated with chemicals, as is the case with water in the states, plus the Canadian emphasis on fair wages will ensure employees take greater pride in the product. And naturally everyone knows brewing is a mandatory class in Canadian secondary schools (13th grade).

So why do YOU think Canadian beer is superior?

La bière américaine est loin d'être aussi bonne que la bière la plus canadienne. Pourquoi croyez-vous que c'est? Prenez par exemple de Sleeman. L'eau du lac Supérieur est propre et pure avec des produits chimiques, comme c'est le cas avec de l'eau dans les Etats, plus l'accent canadien sur les justes salaires seront s'assurer que les employés prennent plus de fierté dans le produit. Et, naturellement, tout le monde sait de brassage est une classe obligatoire dans des écoles secondaires canadiennes (13e année).

Alors pourquoi pensez-vous de la bière canadienne est supérieure?
    Canada is a place of infinite promise. We like the people, and if one ever had to emigrate, this would be the destination, not the U.S.A. The hills, lakes and forests make it a place of peace and repose of the mind, such as one never finds in the U.S.A.
    -- John Maynard Keynes

Registered
    May 2005
    I say bullshit.

If you're talking about Budweiser and Miller-Coors products then OK. But I would argue the microbrews in the States cannot be topped.

Sorry I missed the Stanfest party.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Agrees with btrage. I mean if you are downing Bud, MGD, Coors and the related ilk then yes it's kinda sucky. However craft and microbrewing are in full swing in most if not all states and there is some phenomenal beer out there. Quit shopping for beer at the 7-11 and you'll be alright.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    May 2004
    With the exception of Unibroue, Canadian beer sucks. Sleeman's is decent, as best. I always want canadian beer to be good, I try, but it is usually terrible. Given the clean water and everything you mention, why is so bad I wonder? It really is pretty awful on the whole. I am being serious and saying this as a total beer snob who has tried lots of canadian beer and wanted it to be good. it just isn't.
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Yeah, what everyone else said! We're getting tired of your smug Canadian arse! Go find a moose and, well....

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Your beer in Barrie is made from the same place as my beer, Lac Huron.

Don't even try saying that beer from Lac Ontario or Erie is cleaner than what it is in the States. Ever see the crap in the water in the "Golden Horseshoe"?
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally posted by imaplanner View post
    With the exception of Unibroue, Canadian beer sucks. Sleeman's is decent, as best. I always want canadian beer to be good, I try, but it is usually terrible. Given the clean water and everything you mention, why is so bad I wonder? It really is pretty awful on the whole. I am being serious and saying this as a total beer snob who has tried lots of canadian beer and wanted it to be good. it just isn't.
    I agree. Unibroue is so far the only decent Canadian beer I have found. I will take a Labatt's over a Bud or Miller equivalent, but I don't consider any of those REAL beers. Give me a good American craft beer or a Belgian/German/Czech/Irish/English import any day.
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Rock

You Canucks are nuts. Of course, one could argue, eh, that what does this Bear know? I drink Rolling Rock.

I don't need to pay long dollars for expensive pints at a brewpub or funky beer from Ottawa or Toronto or, oh my, Hamilton.

Gimme a rock, hoser.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Mar 2004
    (delete me, pretty pleeeeeeease! )

Mike

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Is one of the best mass-market beers in the USA (that being Sam Adams lager) even available in Canada (his involvement in our late 18th Century revolt against the British notwithstanding)?

Mike

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Ahh.....

Give me a $%#@*&% break. When is the last time I saw a Canadian Micro Brew at the store that I wanted to buy.....never that's when. Seriously, do they even allow microbrewery operations up there? Isn't all the beer made up north "government" beer?

Seriously, I'm having a really difficult time remembering the last time I saw any micro brews from Canada down here
    “The way of acquiescence leads to moral and spiritual suicide. The way of violence leads to bitterness in the survivors and brutality in the destroyers. But, the way of non-violence leads to redemption and the creation of the beloved community.”
    Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
    - See more at: http://www.thekingcenter.org/king-ph....r7W02j3S.dpuf

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Methinks Canadian Planner has taken the jingoistic Americans for a ride.

I will say that to the extent Canadian beer is superior to American it is due to loon sh!t in the water.

And having said that, I will say LaBatts sucks, Molson's sucks, (as do many American beers), and Foster's (which is supposed to be Strine but at least in my neck of the woods is brewed in Canada) sucks.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    I'm getting thirsty now.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Well.....

Can't we all agree that a bad Canadian Beer is at least better than tainted water??
    “The way of acquiescence leads to moral and spiritual suicide. The way of violence leads to bitterness in the survivors and brutality in the destroyers. But, the way of non-violence leads to redemption and the creation of the beloved community.”
    Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
    - See more at: http://www.thekingcenter.org/king-ph....r7W02j3S.dpuf

American craft beer is better than any beer from Canada or for that matter, most anywhere in the world (Belgium might be the exception)
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Repo Man View post
    American craft beer is better than any beer from Canada or for that matter, most anywhere in the world (Belgium might be the exception)
    At least there's one area that we're doing well in.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2010
    When it comes to industrial-scale beers consumed by the unwashed masses, I have to stand by Canadian Planner. Rickard's, Moosehead, and Keith's Dark (IPA has gone downhill) are all pretty passable beers, whereas Coor's, MGA and the American recipe for Blue are pretty unbearable. Seriously, I bought a six pack of Blue Light in Indianapolis (7-11 was the only thing open) and had to give four of them to a hobo because I couldn't bring myself to drink them. I'd rather drink liquefied cardboard. Of course, I am overlooking Sam Adams lager (we do get the lager, but none of the other styles), but since I'm not a lager man I choose to ignore it. And if I must drink lagers, I'll counter your Sam Adams with Steam Whistle Pilsner, which I would say borders on being mass-produced.

When it comes to craft breweries... it's a little more unclear. I don't think I've consumed enough American craft beers to make a legitimate decision. However, when I was in Indianapolis I went to a brewpub, and the oatmeal stout they had there was amazing.

In Canada's defense we do have some pretty good craft brews. Propeller and Garrison from Nova Scotia are pretty good. Pickeroons and Pumphouse from New Brunswick are great. I can't say that I've liked much out of Quebec. From Ontario I'd suggest Muskoka Cottage Brewery.

All that being said, I'd take an English or Scottish ale over an American or Canadian beer any day.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Hunh. As Lula would say. If you don't know who Lula is, don't ask. Read today that blind taste test of 250 beers around the world had 12 of the top 20 in the US of A. Four in CA. Petaluma, Santa Rosa, Ft Bragg, and Healdsburg. One in Chicago, the rest were in PA or out west.

Sorry, Canadien, whoever you are.

Registered
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post
    Hunh. As Lula would say. If you don't know who Lula is, don't ask. Read today that blind taste test of 250 beers around the world had 12 of the top 20 in the US of A. Four in CA. Petaluma, Santa Rosa, Ft Bragg, and Healdsburg. One in Chicago, the rest were in PA or out west.

Sorry, Canadien, whoever you are.
    Where did you read this? I'd be interested to see how they all ranked.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by Rygor View post
    Where did you read this? I'd be interested to see how they all ranked.
    Aug Reader's Digest. Don't know if they list them all by rank.

Registered
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post
    Aug Reader's Digest. Don't know if they list them all by rank.
    Interesting. I guess I have a reason to check out Reader's Digest now!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 32
    Last post: 09 Jul 2012, 12:08 PM
  2. My poor cat....
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 12
    Last post: 24 Jun 2005, 12:07 PM
  3. Replies: 48
    Last post: 05 Jun 2005, 6:43 PM
  4. Help! Need 3 More Tap Beers!