Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Columbus GA

Registered
    Aug 2001

Columbus GA

On the way back from Atlanta, we took these of a gem of a city in west-central Georgia hard along the Chattahoochee River. The downtown is rich with character with the help of Columbus State University.

The pics are way out of order. Sorry about that.

We Yankees burnt another one.

Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Feb 1998
    Those pix do not look like the gritty military town I remember from a few decades ago! Way to go Columbus!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Thanks for sharing those! I enjoyed looking at them.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by mike gurnee View post
    Those pix do not look like the gritty military town I remember from a few decades ago! Way to go Columbus!
    Quote Originally posted by kms View post
    Thanks for sharing those! I enjoyed looking at them.
    Thanks. There seems to be some really exciting adaptive reuse projects in the works. I recommend a visit.

If you get there, hit the brew pub downtown where we ate lunch (The Cannon). I had a yummy calzone and a couple of house brews. ZG drank a non-descript white wine with a Philly cheese steak sandwich. What can I say?

I'll reduce and post the pix of Atlanta tomorrow night.

We had a great weekend.
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I have to say... we took a Columbus exit off 185 and wandered a bit looking for a lunch spot (all nasty chains) and RJ suggested we head s.w. and I was thinking we'd have to get to Eufaula AL to eat and then he said hey, remember we saw that nice street/blvd on the way thru town Friday. Most of the businesses were closed on a Sunday except for the brewpub where we ate, a mexican place, and a pizza place. It was a lovely old downtown.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by mike gurnee View post
    Those pix do not look like the gritty military town I remember from a few decades ago!
    No worries - RJ and ZG found one of the very few decent areas of Columbus - the rest of the town is just as you remember.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Bubba View post
    No worries - RJ and ZG found one of the very few decent areas of Columbus - the rest of the town is just as you remember.
    Well, they've certainly done a nice job of mixing old and new and maintaining and preserving the historic aspects. Streetscape there is quite nice, too. I love how they saved the building facades from the buildings that burned down.
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Rygor View post
    Well, they've certainly done a nice job of mixing old and new and maintaining and preserving the historic aspects. Streetscape there is quite nice, too. I love how they saved the building facades from the buildings that burned down.
    Oh, no doubt - that part of downtown is great - it has really been a pleasure to watch what the city has done there.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Sweet

It would be great to live in one of those old buildings, loft style
    "The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    John Kenneth Galbraith

Registered
    Sep 1999
    There were also a lot or sculptures around downtown. Some modern, some "life-like", some preserved stuff; on every block. That was nice, even if some of it was not a style I like. The university really had a presence there, a bunch of offices downtown, plus the univ bookstore.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2009
    Columbus really stepped out on a ledge when it began the downtown redevelopment process about 10 years ago. It was then a really run down area with very little successful retail establisments. The City re-worked some streets and it went through some growing pains but it has been a success. Work still remains but the people can now see the worth and are supportive. It has been awhile since I've been down there but as someone pointed out, once you leave downtown you know you're in a typical sprawl-like metropolis. Yes, I said Columbus, GA is a metropolis.

The Canon is a real neat brew pub that supports the City's rich military presence with. I'm just glad they don't get their water from the hooche.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I have a friend of 40 yrs who used to do business in Columbus (selling yellow pages ads) whose first and only comment on the city was unprintable, well that was 20 yrs ago. She was APPALLED we ate there. Just a sign that things are better there than before.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Let's rip on Columbus
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 23
    Last post: 16 Oct 2013, 10:56 AM
  2. Off on Columbus Day?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 19
    Last post: 09 Oct 2012, 3:40 PM
  3. Hello from Columbus
    Introduce Yourself