Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Square meters per person in a city of new construction?

Registered
    Aug 2010

Square meters per person in a city of new construction?

Hello everyone, this is the first time using this forum.
    I'm a young italian architect and i've a problem.
    I'm working on a project of urban planning in a foreign county of middle-est, and is the first time for me.
    in the past I have only worked on projects of architectural scale.
    Now my task is to estimate of the amount of square meters necessary to employ a certain number of people living in a city of new construction, plus a number of commuters.

I tried various municipal standards on the Internet but finding few resources and a wealth of material available for free, or many "building codes" but on construction of individual buildings.

In Italy we have the Ministry Decree 1444 of 1968 which determines how many square meters per abitant are to be built, publics and privates.
    (Ecample: 25sqm house, 2.5 parking spaces, 4.5 education, 2 utilities, etc ...)

Therefore my questions are:

There is something like this internationally?

Provide 100sqm per person in residence, working places and services may be acceptable or i have to use some other factor?

Sorry if generalizes but times are tight.

Quote Originally posted by secondsky View post
    Hello everyone, this is the first time using this forum.
    I'm a young italian architect and i've a problem.
    I'm working on a project of urban planning in a foreign county of middle-est, and is the first time for me.
    in the past I have only worked on projects of architectural scale.
    Now my task is to estimate of the amount of square meters necessary to employ a certain number of people living in a city of new construction, plus a number of commuters.

I tried various municipal standards on the Internet but finding few resources and a wealth of material available for free, or many "building codes" but on construction of individual buildings.

In Italy we have the Ministry Decree 1444 of 1968 which determines how many square meters per abitant are to be built, publics and privates.
    (Ecample: 25sqm house, 2.5 parking spaces, 4.5 education, 2 utilities, etc ...)

Therefore my questions are:

There is something like this internationally?

Provide 100sqm per person in residence, working places and services may be acceptable or i have to use some other factor?

Sorry if generalizes but times are tight.
    Moderator note:
    ~Gedunker

Welcome to Cyburbia, secondsky, I hope you find what you are looking for here and I'm sure you will learn a great deal as well.

I do need to advise you, however, that we do have a number of rules. First: you are only allowed to have one account. I have deleted your user account by the name of 2ndsky. Having two accounts is a serious violation of our rules, but given that you appear not to be a native English speaker, I'll cut you some slack this time. Do not create another account, or there will be no slack in the future.

Second: our rules only permit posting a thread topic in one forum. Select the forum that you believe is best for your topic, and post your thread there, and only there. I have removed the identical thread previously posted in the Land Use and Zoning forum as a duplicate thread.

You may wish to take a little time to read our Rules as well.

Carry on!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 15
    Last post: 15 Feb 2006, 11:07 AM
  2. A Square in a City
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 24 Jan 2005, 8:29 AM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last post: 29 Sep 2004, 12:33 PM
  4. Best City Square