Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Best resignation ever.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

Best resignation ever.

Some inspiration for when the economy gets better, and you're able to leave the Job From Hell (tm) without worrying about having nothing else lined up. From http://thechive.com/2010/08/10/girl-...ice-33-photos/

We received the following photos last night from a person who works with this girl. Her name is Jenny (not confirmed) - we're working our contact for Jenny's last name. Yesterday morning, Jenny quit her job with a (flash)bang by emailing these photos to the entire office, about 20 employees we're told. Awesome doesn't begin to describe this office heroine.

Yes she's a "HOPA", but she's also brilliant. I think I'm in love ...
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Oct 2001
    That's splendid exit, but check this out!

The incident began Monday on a plane that had just landed at JFK. A JetBlue official told the New York Times:

One passenger stood up to retrieve belongings from the overhead compartment before the crew had given permission. Mr. Slater instructed the person to remain seated. The passenger defied him. Mr. Slater reached the passenger just as the person was pulling down the luggage, which struck Mr. Slater in the head.

Mr. Slater asked for an apology. The passenger instead cursed at him. Mr. Slater got on the planes public-address system and cursed out the passenger for all to hear.

And now we get to the good part. According to passenger accounts, Slater reportedly let it rip over the intercom:

"To the passenger who called me a m---f--er, f--- you. I've been in the business 28 years. I've had it. That's it."

In a separate story, cops said Slater announced this:

"To the f-----g a--hole who told me to f--- off, it's been a good 28 years."

Slater, who's been in the business 20 not 28 years, then grabbed his bags, a beer, activated the emergency inflatable chute and slid off the plane.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/...entry_id=69775
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Some other fun ones here http://www.people.com/people/gallery...409272,00.html

Can't say that I blame the guy. Anyone who deals with the public should understand...even planners
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Mastiff View post
    That's splendid exit, but check this out!

The incident began Monday on a plane that had just landed at JFK. A JetBlue official told the New York Times:

One passenger stood up to retrieve belongings from the overhead compartment before the crew had given permission. Mr. Slater instructed the person to remain seated. The passenger defied him. Mr. Slater reached the passenger just as the person was pulling down the luggage, which struck Mr. Slater in the head.

Mr. Slater asked for an apology. The passenger instead cursed at him. Mr. Slater got on the planes public-address system and cursed out the passenger for all to hear.

And now we get to the good part. According to passenger accounts, Slater reportedly let it rip over the intercom:

"To the passenger who called me a m---f--er, f--- you. I've been in the business 28 years. I've had it. That's it."

In a separate story, cops said Slater announced this:

"To the f-----g a--hole who told me to f--- off, it's been a good 28 years."

Slater, who's been in the business 20 not 28 years, then grabbed his bags, a beer, activated the emergency inflatable chute and slid off the plane.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/...entry_id=69775
    Thats what I was going to say. This was definately the best resignation ever.
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    I liked both of them. Great stuff.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    Some inspiration for when the economy gets better, and you're able to leave the Job From Hell (tm) without worrying about having nothing else lined up. From http://thechive.com/2010/08/10/girl-...ice-33-photos/
    /7619/amazinggirlquits3.jpg[/img]

Yes she's a "HOPA", but she's also brilliant. I think I'm in love ...
    You fall in love with anyone who is brunette and marginally intellectual/librarian looking.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post
    You fall in love with anyone who is brunette and marginally intellectual/librarian looking.
    Your point being?
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Your point being?
    You like what you like...nothing wrong with that.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    Dan, just say no. She's too young for you, and she's unemployed!

Registered
    May 2005
    I heard that the one with the HPOA is fake.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2010
    I heard that the one with the HPOA is fake.
    Confirmed: http://techcrunch.com/2010/08/11/elyse-porterfield/

Registered
    Aug 2008
    The flight attendant story has the hollow ring of a Balloon Boy Nuevo to my ear.

I read somewhere the passenger who supposedly set him off on his overreaction was not very aware that a slight had been rendered.

Here's betting the guy will be on several talk shows now...maybe he will be running for office somewhere now or on a lecture tour like Sarah Palin.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    So is dry erase girl doing playboy? That's the rumor I heard....

I find it funny that we believe anything anymore.

Also, I enjoyed both ideas. Although Mr. Slater is going to be paying a TON of money for some of the stuff he did... what does an inflatable ramp cost?

Quote Originally posted by Veloise
    Dan, just say no. She's too young for you, and she's unemployed!
    Which is what makes her easy ...errr....
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)

Registered
    May 2004
    You don't know much about men do you?

Btw- Dan- I'm on your side. H-O-T.
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by imaplanner View post
    You don't know much about men do you?

Btw- Dan- I'm on your side. H-O-T.
    Agreed. She is quite the HOPA.
    follow me on the twitter @rcplans

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Yep, she's a HOPA for sure. I've always liked the girl-next-door types.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Your point being?

Have you see that Best Buy commercial where they tout the geek squad and the teenager gets to pick his geek buddy? His mom is looking all all the hot guys but the kid picks the intellectual-looking babe in glasses? I suspect you are not the only Cyb who goes for that.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Sometimes when I think how I would exit it often involves throwing a dead fish (or any other animal ) above the ceiling tiles or in the ventilation system at the end of a Friday or long holiday weekend so it has some time to fester.
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Taiwanese take on Slater's resignation

The 0:29, 0:33, and 0:42 are my favorite parts.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Richard Nixon's resignation from the presidency is still my all-time favorite.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Rumpy Tunanator View post
    Sometimes when I think how I would exit it often involves throwing a dead fish (or any other animal ) above the ceiling tiles or in the ventilation system at the end of a Friday or long holiday weekend so it has some time to fester.
    Thanks for not leaving us that gift. Or maybe you're responsible for the dead rats that infested the old building and died in the ceiling?
    I think that one of the great signs of security is the ability to just walk away.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally posted by fringe View post
    The flight attendant story has the hollow ring of a Balloon Boy Nuevo to my ear.

I read somewhere the passenger who supposedly set him off on his overreaction was not very aware that a slight had been rendered.

Here's betting the guy will be on several talk shows now...maybe he will be running for office somewhere now or on a lecture tour like Sarah Palin.
    He seems like a tool. I don't get all the adoration.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by Tresmo View post
    He seems like a tool. I don't get all the adoration.
    I've heard at least 5 stories on this one. People fighting over over-head bin space, (seen that!), etc. He may have gone overboard in his reaction, but who hasn't been on a flight where you want to pummel another passenger? Especailly if she dinged him in the head at the start of the flight. Mine was a couple years ago when some woman came on, last minute, and wanted her "expensive" guitar in the bin, and the flight attendant had to smash everyone else's bags together to accommodate ms. rightfully mine.I am still wondering why the airline won't identify the passenger involved in this. Why no charges for interfering with airline personnel?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2005
    I've heard at least 5 stories on this one. People fighting over over-head bin space, (seen that!), etc. He may have gone overboard in his reaction, but who hasn't been on a flight where you want to pummel another passenger? Especailly if she dinged him in the head at the start of the flight. Mine was a couple years ago when some woman came on, last minute, and wanted her "expensive" guitar in the bin, and the flight attendant had to smash everyone else's bags together to accommodate ms. rightfully mine.I am still wondering why the airline won't identify the passenger involved in this. Why no charges for interfering with airline personnel?
    I guess what bugs me is that plenty of airline personnel and passengers are treated like shit by other passengers and they manage not to throw a hissy fit. Him doing that makes me think he was probably one of those dick flight attendants who gets off on telling people what to do and probably should have been in another field.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 10
    Last post: 15 Jan 2008, 3:39 PM
  2. Karl Rove Resignation
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 24
    Last post: 14 Aug 2007, 10:42 AM
  3. Replies: 17
    Last post: 14 Dec 2004, 2:42 AM