Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: "We're getting ripped off!" Things that are inexplicably expensive in your city

Registered
    Jun 2007
    Off-topic:
    Quote Originally posted by Hink_Planner View post
    Personally, I don't have anything against Texans... it was those with whom I worked with. And they meant ugly old Texas men. Rough and tumble. I thought they were nice....
    I'm no expert, as I'm neither a woman nor a gay man, but I always found the old ugly Texas men to be handsome in a RUGGED kind of way.
    Last edited by TexanOkie; 12 Aug 2010 at 5:26 PM.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by TexanOkie View post
    I'm no expert, as I'm neither a woman nor a gay man, but I always found the old ugly Texas men to be handsome in a RUGGED kind of way.
    Off-topic:

Julia Roberts thought so too...
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    Off-topic:
    ofos wins for post of the day

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Off-topic:

Based on my interactions with folks, Coloradans seem to have a particular place of disdain for Texans in a similar way that people in Washington state have for Californians. So you're saying that Coloradans will come down to Texas to take advantage of it's economics, but will razz/hate us Texans when we move up there? That sucks.
    My cousin, who lives in Waco, said that he gets treated pretty rudely in Colorado when he goes elk hunting. Of course, we take his higher elk tag fees, he buys gas here, etc, but for some reason he has seen some backlash from the locals.

Sorry Dude, I think our beef with Texans is that they come up here and expect Texas... they LOVE Texas, talk about Texas, tell us how great Texas is.... so why are they living here?

After talking to my cousin, I understand a little more about this outsider perspective on my home state.

I think my truck thing was that there is less of a market for a 4x4 in Texas than here, therefore dealers may be able to negotiate more.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2005
    We looked at a $50,000 condo (1 BR, 1BA) that had $5,000/year in property taxes.

Registered
    Jun 2007
    Off-topic:
    Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN View post
    Sorry Dude, I think our beef with Texans is that they come up here and expect Texas... they LOVE Texas, talk about Texas, tell us how great Texas is.... so why are they living here?
    I understand that sentiment completely. This begs the question that, if this is why Coloradans dislike Texans so much, why is their anger/hatred at such a disproportionately higher level? I've really ever only seen it as high in Oklahoma, and they have the excuse that they have to live right next to it, rely on it's economic might , and deal with its people a lot more than Coloradans do (except for tourism, I suppose - then Colorado has Oklahoma beat on Texan interests).

In answer to your ending question, the answer is usually either to do with job situation (which tends to shut people up because their beloved Texas couldn't keep them in the state economically), cultural/lifestyle (these types usually dislike Texas and/or aren't usually the ones who blab incessantly about it to begin with), or, in the case of Colorado (and probably to a lesser degree Wyoming and Montana), scenery.

In case I end up in Colorado, would I be treated in such a way just because I am from Texas, or are level-headed people who respect the local culture usually treated okay? Just wondering, since CU and U Denver are on my short list for law schools, and UC Denver is on my short list for planning schools.

P.S. Sorry for hijacking this thread.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Off-topic:

In case I end up in Colorado, would I be treated in such a way just because I am from Texas, or are level-headed people who respect the local culture usually treated okay? Just wondering, since CU and U Denver are on my short list for law schools, and UC Denver is on my short list for planning schools.

P.S. Sorry for hijacking this thread.
    I think you'll be fine in Denver. There are so many people there now from all over the world that it deosn't really matter there. (At least that is what I have seen). Plus, I'll drive down for some beers and we can hang out.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Dec 1998
    5 years post-Katrina, housing expenses such as rent and property insurance are still ridiculously high down here. Now that we're dealing with the effects of the oil spill, the price of seafood has significantly increased.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Mar 2003
    I am not really bragging because I don't really understand how they came up with this but my city was named the least expensive to live in a few years ago.
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Gas prices are always 5 cents more expenhsive here than the surrounding area.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

NW Ohio

Here's some info about my corner of OH, the northwest portion.....

Gasoline - Per/gallon prices usually run about 10-cents less than the national average.
    Rents - Reasonable, because it is a "renter's market" (due to outflow of living things).
    Real Estate - Depressed in Toledo, especially the central core. Not so bad when you get to bedroom 'burbs (such as Swanton).
    Electricity - Toledo Edison rates are a rip-off. It is continually mentioned as a reason for companies to NOT locate in their service area.
    Water - My village (Swanton) charges way too much for water.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Planderella View post
    5 years post-Katrina, housing expenses such as rent and property insurance are still ridiculously high down here. Now that we're dealing with the effects of the oil spill, the price of seafood has significantly increased.
    Was the New Orleans area always that expensive, or is this a recent, post-Katrina phenomenon? For some reason, I had always heard that New Orleans was significantly less expensive than most places, until some friends of mine moved there for graduate school in 2007.

Registered
    Nov 2006
    Shop at Wegmans for Coke ... 3 for $12 regular price and 3 for $10 on sale. They had Pepsi 24 oz plastic bottles a couple of weeks ago 4/$10 and Tops has the same Pepsi at 4/$11 regularly.

Registered
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally posted by zmanPLAN View post
    My cousin, who lives in Waco, said that he gets treated pretty rudely in Colorado when he goes elk hunting. Of course, we take his higher elk tag fees, he buys gas here, etc, but for some reason he has seen some backlash from the locals.

After talking to my cousin, I understand a little more about this outsider perspective on my home state.

I think my truck thing was that there is less of a market for a 4x4 in Texas than here, therefore dealers may be able to negotiate more.
    This pretty much describes how Upstate New Yorkers feel about the folks from the NYC area, especially those from Long Island, who constantly complain about Upstate. If it's so great in "the City" (ie, Long Island) and so lousy here, why are you here?

Registered
    Nov 2006
    Utilities, gas, and ciggies are pricey in NYS, but generally, the cost of living in WNY is probably pretty reasonable, though, because of low housing prices. $100,000 will definitely get you a decent house in WNY. $150,000 will get you a nice house in most of WNY, and even on some acreage in many communities if you want it.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Groceries, especially produce. It makes no difference you shop at the local chain, Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, ect... In season or not, produce seems to be at least 1/3 more expensive here than in either Virginia or South Carolina. A lot of friends get around this by using CSAs (farm shares), and we grow the items that tend to be the most expensive like tomatoes, peppers, and herds.

Local income taxes.

Also beer and wine, thanks to the state monopoly that is the PLCB.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Linda_D View post
    This pretty much describes how Upstate New Yorkers feel about the folks from the NYC area, especially those from Long Island, who constantly complain about Upstate. If it's so great in "the City" (ie, Long Island) and so lousy here, why are you here?
    Isn't there a thread about this that could be unearthed?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally posted by jsk1983 View post
    Are there no dairy farms in Hawaii?
    You know what, I'm honestly not sure. But we do have the second largest cattle ranch in the US for beef production and yet it still costs more than imported stuff. Eggs too. Locally produced eggs are sometimes 5.99/dozen and you can get mainland eggs for 1.49/dozen.

I guess it has to do with how expensive the land is out here. I have no idea how farmers stay in business in Hawaii.

We tend to buy our fruits/vegetables at local farmer's markets, where at least the price is similar to that of grocery store prices on the mainland. I cannot imagine trying to support a family and run a farm with land prices as steep as they are out here.

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 7
    Last post: 24 Jul 2015, 8:00 AM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last post: 10 Jun 2005, 10:17 PM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last post: 09 May 2005, 1:04 AM
  4. Replies: 65
    Last post: 21 Aug 2003, 9:08 PM