Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Vacant and dilapidated buildings

Registered
    Jul 1998

Vacant and dilapidated buildings

Can any of you share a vacant and dilapidated building ordinance? We have a few abandoned houses in town that are starting to become a problem due to lack of maintenance. I'm looking at something that would force repair or removal of the abandoned property.
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Check your inbox.
    I burned down the church to atone for my transgressions.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Thats funny!!!! We have so many around here its dammed near impossible to have ordinances.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally posted by giff57 View post
    Can any of you share a vacant and dilapidated building ordinance? We have a few abandoned houses in town that are starting to become a problem due to lack of maintenance. I'm looking at something that would force repair or removal of the abandoned property.

Check your mailbox

Cities have struggled with this issue for years. When a property owner walks, it's hard to hold him accountable. Maybe you can force the bank to maintain the property, but you just might only succeed in delaying foreclosure

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2009
    Stroskey & SW MI if you could pass along that example to me as well I'd appreciate it.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner View post
    Thats funny!!!! We have so many around here its dammed near impossible to have ordinances.
    I thought the city had an annual removal program each October 30th.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Dec 2009

You'd have to structure your nuisance ordinance such that abandoned buildings re-presented "a nuisance attractive to trespassers, vandals and arsonists" that had to be "abated", but if they were REALLY well secured, a judge would probably toss you out on your...ear.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    On a related note, we received a call this afternoon from a lender. She was asking what happened to a home that was recently foreclosed. Turns out the house sustained a fire a couple of months ago, the building official declared it a dangerous building and had it demolished. The house's appraised value: $500,000.
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post
    On a related note, we received a call this afternoon from a lender. She was asking what happened to a home that was recently foreclosed. Turns out the house sustained a fire a couple of months ago, the building official declared it a dangerous building and had it demolished. The house's appraised value: $500,000.
    Hmmm... If the bank had a mortgage they should have been named as a beneficiary of any insurance.

There was an interesting case near here not long ago. After sitting vacant for months while it was for sale, a million dollar home burned to the ground. A little suspicious? The owner was also under indictment for defrauding the state government.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Cardinal View post
    Hmmm... If the bank had a mortgage they should have been named as a beneficiary of any insurance......
    Indeed, they were--along with the lien for the demolition. They were simply surprised that the house was gone. But you know how banks work; they received the registered letter yet didn't pass it up the chain of command. I'm still waiting for the update from builders services. I'll know more tomorrow after golf.
    Annoyingly insensitive

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 2
    Last post: 17 Aug 2010, 7:38 PM
  2. Property tax rebates for vacant buildings
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 10
    Last post: 16 Apr 2007, 3:30 PM
  3. Replies: 6
    Last post: 09 Jan 2006, 11:05 PM
  4. Vacant buildings or vacant lots?