Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Need help on my thesis study

Registered
    Aug 2010

Need help on my thesis study

hye everyone im a new member in cyburbia.. i need some help or information regarding my thesis study.Im doing study on urban freeway/highway.My idea is about to revitalized lost space beneath highway but my problem is i got stuck on to find what type of building typology should i proposed beneath the highway.plus i need to design and response to the surrounding context of the site that i choose..the site is the empty one in the left side(in the rounded elevated highway).I appreciated if anyone can gv suggestion on how should i design and at the same time response to the context.t.q

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2008
    I can't tell you what to design, but for a thesis I presume you will be looking at a lot of existing cases. One to consider is the Gardiner Expressway, an elevated 6-lane in Toronto, ON, Canada. It (like many old downtown expressways) is generally hated and also considered a vital link. There have been many studies over recent years as to what to do with it, and parts have been demolished but the core remains. I recall seeing some renderings of retail and public spaces underneath, the main goal being to link the main downtown core to the growing lakeshore area bu providing a continuous safe and inviting pedestrian environment.

The other thing to consider is whether the space underneath is really lost - in the Gardiner case, much of it (though not all) is over a large arterial road, so the "dead" space is limited. Most proposals seem to be to demolish the expressway and widen the arterial in partial compensation, with the understanding that serious capacity loss in the peaks would need to be taken up by public transit.

good luck!

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Here in Hawaii we have a lot of buildings underneath the elevated highway. Uses I frequently see include the Post Office and self-storage spaces.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    My favorite example is the Seattle Mtn Bike park:
    http://evergreenmtb.org/colonnade/
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Or in some of those cities on the Italian Riviera, where, due to the incredibly rugged nature of the landscape, major cross-country motorways were literally built with viaducts over the cities. Yet, without those motorways, international commerce across southern Europe would grind to a halt.

Mike

Registered
    Dec 2009

How about cramming a bunch of "residential" shipping containers underneath?...

http://dornob.com/steel-hide-a-house...er-home-plans/

Registered
    Aug 2010

thank you..

hye everyone..thank you for all the suggestion and information..really really appreciated it guys!i will try my best with all the information you guys gv me..later i will post my thesis progress to share with u guys and gv comments..at 1st, im really really afraid to post my problem at cyburbia..but now i realized all the cyburbian are really helpful!thank you again 999xwish me luck for my 2nd crit session..

Registered
    Aug 2010

my site

http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=3.166...z=16&t=h&hl=en
    *just realize i didn't insert the link for my site location

Registered
    Aug 2010

hi

You need to do a before and after analysis to understand the impact of ROW acquisition. This help you to find out how many properties and what type of properties have been displaced. I believe that single family parcels are suitable for this type of study.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by jswanek View post

How about cramming a bunch of "residential" shipping containers underneath?...

http://dornob.com/steel-hide-a-house...er-home-plans/

Wow I dunno about that, its loud under bridges, I don't know if a shipping container could baffle all that noise! We only have a couple of segments of elavated road. Typically there is a good reason for elavation. River Navigation, railroad yards are there. I would look for complimentary uses. Perhaps passive parks could work?
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Sep 2010
    hi
    have just joined this forum. i too am pursuing my thesis in urban planning. for your query, it depends on context. usually this places like thick with pollution and as you say 'lost' you can revive the whole place by introducing retail and at the same time providing green space to absorb all that vehicular emissions. but as i said it depends on where your site is situated. it should allow this activity to happen.

Registered
    May 2005

Not a healthy place to be...

The health impacts of living under or within a certain distance of freeways is pretty significant and should be taken into to consideration. I would think that green spaces to process all of that air pollution would be a great idea. I would be curious about what kind of air quality impact a city could have if they were aggressive about plantings along freeways, highways, interstates, etc.

Near-highway pollutants in motor vehicle exhaust: A review of epidemiologic evidence of cardiac and pulmonary health risks
    There is growing evidence of a distinct set of freshly-emitted air pollutants downwind from major highways, motorways, and freeways that include elevated levels of ultrafine particulates (UFP), black carbon (BC), oxides of nitrogen (NOx), and carbon monoxide (CO). People living or otherwise spending substantial time within about 200 m of highways are exposed to these pollutants more so than persons living at a greater distance, even compared to living on busy urban streets.
    Children who live near a major highway are not only more likely to develop asthma or other respiratory diseases, but their lung development may also be stunted.
    Children who live near a major highway are not only more likely to develop asthma or other respiratory diseases, but their lung development may also be stunted.
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. BSc thesis
    Student Commons
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 19 Apr 2009, 6:47 AM
  2. Help me with my thesis
    Student Commons
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 13 Sep 2008, 4:32 PM
  3. Replies: 3