Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What modern tech would you least want to go without?

Registered
    Aug 1997

What modern tech would you least want to go without?

Well, we've added some new (to us) technology to the household, with my wife now having an iPhone, and my 9 year old having an iPod Touch. Lots of people have mentioned how they can't imagine not having their iPhone. It seems like everything people do online these days in on Facebook, and every business and organization has a Facebook presence and Twitter feed.

Which of these things do you value having the most? Which would you least like to have to live without? And, Why? What did I forget to put on the list?

iPhone
    Blackberry
    Android
    Blu-Ray
    Satelite TV
    Digital Cable
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Nintendo Wii
    Playstation 3
    XBOX
    NetFlix
    iPod (as suggested by Planderella)
    Nook (as suggested by Planderella)
    Kindle (as suggested by Planderella)
    What else?
    Last edited by Joe Iliff; 13 Aug 2010 at 9:31 AM.
    JOE ILIFF

"Rarely do we find men who willingly engage in hard, solid thinking. There is an almost universal quest for easy answers and half-baked solutions. Nothing pains some people more than having to think."
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Registered
    Dec 1998
    Add a NOOK or the far more inferior e-readers to that list.

I value my iPod the most with my nook being a very close 2nd. I can definitely live without Playstation, X-Box, Nintendo.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Wow am I a luddite I don't have or care about any of those things. I do have a swell cell phone that has a flip out keyboard and makes videos. It surfs the web too, though I don't surf the web with it.

My gps is in black and white and does not bark directions at me, it just points me in the general direction I want to go. I like it that way.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Jun 2007
    I guess my vote would be Facebook, but that's only because that's the only thing on that whole list I actually have/participate with. Frankly, I could probably also do without it. It's not like anybody follows my Facebook activity and ramblings anyway. Although, if I were to get rid of it, I would make sure to jot down contact info for many of my friends I had/would have lost contact with without it.

As to the other categories of stuff, I have the basic cell phone that came free with my plan from AT&T (it's most advanced bit is that it can take pictures); I have a 20-year-old, 26" TV, so digital/HD cable would be worthless; I never had the patience for video games, though I do have a working N64 for MarioKart only, really; and I listen to music via the radio, CD, uploaded music from CD via Media Player (I've never even used iTunes), or Pandora, usually in that order.
    Last edited by TexanOkie; 13 Aug 2010 at 10:07 AM.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    My iPhone.

Phone, internets, email, social networking, music library + Pandora, news, maps, banking, car insurance, iBooks. I don't need anything else.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Jul 2006
    The only technology I can't live without is my coffeemaker. All else is expendable.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Aug 2001
    What, no poll?

Sex toys.
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post

Sex toys.

Is that what you call ZG nowdays?!?!?!?!?!!?
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Jun 2009
    The only things I have on that list are the X-Box and Facebook. I could live without either and it wouldn't bother me a bit.
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by kjelsadek View post
    My iPhone.

Phone, internets, email, social networking, music library + Pandora, news, maps, banking, car insurance, iBooks. I don't need anything else.
    Ditto. Did i mention it vibrates too when it's in your lap
    follow me on the twitter @rcplans

Registered
    May 2004
    iphone. It does everythintg
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Refrigeration technology.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Of the gizmos on the list, I'd have to say my iPod.

Mike

Registered
    Mar 2003
    Hello my name is Queen B and I have an addition to Facebook.

I have digital cable.

The rest evidently I can do without.
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    The only things I have on that list are Facebook, Twitter (which I never use), my iPod, and Satellite TV.

So I guess, I would say Facebook is the thing I value most, but like TexanOkie, I could probably live without it. I would feel a little bit more disconnected though and it would require a lot more use of my cell phone, email, and use of other websites to stay in contact or in the loop.

I also value TV to a certain degree. But it seems that all I ever watch is VH1 Classic, Fox News, and a select few sitcoms and game shows. So if it weren't for the TV, I could just buy or rent my favorite shows on DVD and get my news from the internet. But I've never been a big fan of that. Being unemployed right now, TV has been a lifesaver, and I'd be pretty miserable if I didn't have 2 hours or so of TV time each day.

Ah, I guess TV wins out as the most important modern technology (listed) to me.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Refrigeration technology.
    How about proper sanitation as well. My blackberries-I have one of office and one for personal use. They are my phones, my music, date keepers, text and email.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Feb 2004
    The only three on that list I really use are Netflix, Android and Facebook. Out of those I would definitely have to go with Android. I lived without it until about ten months ago, now I think I may be a bit addicted.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Whose Yur Planner View post
    How about proper sanitation as well. My blackberries-I have one of office and one for personal use. They are my phones, my music, date keepers, text and email.
    And they dial NJ on their own accord occasionally lol.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Quote Originally posted by kjelsadek View post
    And they dial NJ on their own accord occasionally lol.
    So sorry-I will severly repremand them. It could be worse, they could drunk dial NJ.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Joe Iliff View post
    Well, we've added some new (to us) technology to the household, with my wife now having an iPhone, and my 9 year old having an iPod Touch. Lots of people have mentioned how they can't imagine not having their iPhone. It seems like everything people do online these days in on Facebook, and every business and organization has a Facebook presence and Twitter feed.

Which of these things do you value having the most? Which would you least like to have to live without? And, Why? What did I forget to put on the list?

iPhone
    Blackberry
    Android
    Blu-Ray
    Satelite TV
    Digital Cable
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Nintendo Wii
    Playstation 3
    XBOX
    NetFlix
    iPod (as suggested by Planderella)
    Nook (as suggested by Planderella)
    Kindle (as suggested by Planderella)
    What else?

What are these things again? I have not one, a 35 year old 25 inch tv that my late dad got cheap after someone kicked in the side, no dishwasher but us...but I do have a reel-to-reel deck with a functioning motor AND an 8 track player-RECORDER, and still want a Beogram 4000...beat that!

Registered
    Mar 2002
    We have Netflix, we have digital cable for internet (no TV), and every few days I look at Facebook. I guess the cable internet would be the only thing I wouldn't want to be without. All the other stuff is useless to me. Though maybe I'll try Kindle someday (but the library is one flight down in my building, so books are pretty easy to get. Cheap, too.).

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    This Bear has digital cable and is on Facebook. I have zero-zip-zilch of the rest of the goodies mentioned. The cable is good because my rusting tower has an antenna that flaps in the wind (and no longer works). The antenna rotor spins about as well as a frigid grandma at a bingo hall. I am addicted to some of HBO's offerings.....they are generally very well done. Thank you digital cable.

If Facebook went away my world would not collapse.

What the hexx is all that stuff listed?

PS - I have a cell phone. I keep it in the glove box of my rugged Tundra. I have used it three times in three years.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Whose Yur Planner View post
    So sorry-I will severly repremand them. It could be worse, they could drunk dial NJ.
    No worries And yes...RJ fulfills my drunk dialer quota.

Registered
    Aug 1997
    Wow. I am glad to hear I am not the only one out there living without these things. Seems that several of us have none or just a few of these, and those who have one or two of them aren't overly attached or dependent on them. Often these days, it seems like if you don't have the latest and greatest, biggest and best, newest and hottest, have tons of apps, have several hundred friends or followers, you are missing out. Glad to know that not everyone feels that way.

Thanks for the comments everyone.
    JOE ILIFF

"Rarely do we find men who willingly engage in hard, solid thinking. There is an almost universal quest for easy answers and half-baked solutions. Nothing pains some people more than having to think."
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    As a member of the rural community I do like my direcTV, but honestly, I think email is the only thing I wouldn't be able to live without in terms of my work life. It just makes this so much easier. My cell phone does this too, but I could be happy to not get calls.

In my personal life, I think that I would be happy without any technology. I am sure it would be like caffeine - hard to get off of at first, but I would feel much better once I was.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Modern Day Monarchy
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 12
    Last post: 01 Jul 2009, 10:10 AM
  2. APA Info Tech Annual Tech Award
    Information Technology
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 15 Nov 2004, 1:48 PM
  3. Which piece of modern art are you?