Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Need a good GIS book

Registered
    Jun 2010

Need a good GIS book

I came across this book at the Arizona state University bookstore. "GIS For the Urban Enviornment" by Maantay & Zeigler. I used Mapinfo while writing my thesis but that was a LONG time ago. i am thinking of picking this one up to make myself more marketable. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Registered
    Jul 2010
    from my experience, i do think that the best guide book is the one from ESRI, i can help you figure all things out

Registered
    Nov 2009
    ESRI does make great GIS books. I also have a GIS dictionary, called A-Z GIS, it is a useful tool for the occasional reminder of terms and tools that you use infrequently.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2008
    The only GIS book I have used was "Introduction to Geographic Information Systems" (Third Edition) by Chang Kang-tusng at my school,

Registered
    Mar 2007
    We used one in grad school called Getting to Know ArcGIS Desktop which I liked because it had a lot of step-by-step examples. I actually keep it at my desk at work and still pull it out from time to time when I run into an issue with the software. It's one of the very few text books from undergrad or grad school that I've kept and actually used again outside of school.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Good real estate book?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 21 Jun 2013, 9:23 AM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last post: 15 Feb 2009, 7:56 AM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last post: 29 Aug 2007, 3:28 PM
  4. Replies: 11
    Last post: 13 Sep 2004, 3:03 PM