Urban planning community

Closed thread

Thread: Recently graduated, from SF, now living in Indonesia

Registered
    Jul 2010

Recently graduated, from SF, now living in Indonesia

Hello, everybody!

So, I'm a recent Urban Studies and Planning graduate from San Francisco State University. (Only a BA, and merely 10 years after starting. What can I say? College was a very desultory, though rewarding, experience.)

Anyway, as most of you know, jobs for entry level planners are in short supply these days, so I opted for an internship experience with a place called the Laboratory for Housing and Human Settlements in Surabaya, Indonesia, which I will be starting this coming Monday. They perform a variety of activities pertaining to slum upgrading, historic preservation, and other general planning and policy work in the city.

The plan is to spend a year at the internship, gain some solid experience and contacts, and then try to get a job here in Indonesia for a couple years before applying to graduate school back home in the US. Maybe by then the economy will have recovered a bit. (Though what exactly an economic recovery in the US would look like I'm not sure of; hopefully not simply returning to the high-flying days of interminable sprawl building, which, I think, is highly unlikely at this point.)

Anyway, my long-time significant other and I have been in Jakarta for the last week, where I've been attending the first International Conference on Civic Space in Post-Authoritarian Asian Cities. It was very enlightening. The people here are incredibly warm and gracious, and Jakarta is an immensely fascinating place from a planning (or perhaps a lack thereof) perspective. It is pretty much everything you would expect, good and bad, from a developing world mega-city. Highly recommend visting!

Well, looking forward to spending some time on this forum and getting to virtually know all of you. Cheers!

Registered
    Jul 2007
    Welcome from the triangle! Best of Luck in your internship, sounds exciting, at least from the perspective of my suburban american office
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Welcome from the Great State of Ohio!! Internships are the way to go. I know personally I learned a ton and made some great contacts. Good luck and welcome!
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    I spent some time in Aceh on a Fulbright-Hayes grant studying the post tsunami recovery. I fell in love with the Indonesian people. One of my friends is working with the European Commission on development issues now, I believe he's in Jakarta these days. Enjoy your time there!
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Greetings from a NorCal native transplanted to the Florida panhandle.

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Hello, from Dallas, TX!
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Closed thread

More at Cyburbia

1. kjelsadek has graduated!
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 24
    Last post: 19 May 2010, 11:40 PM
  2. illinoisplanner has graduated
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 33
    Last post: 12 May 2010, 6:19 PM
  3. a newbie from indonesia
    Introduce Yourself