Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Good news: I get to go to South Carolina for 12 week. Bad news: It's for Boot Camp!

Registered
    May 2002

Good news: I get to go to South Carolina for 12 week. Bad news: It's for Boot Camp!

That's right. At 1600 (4:00 PM) yesterday, I swore in as a member of the Kentucky National Guard. I'm an Officer Candidate, but first I have to make it through Basic.

If any of you planners out in Cyburbia-land have any advice for me ("run" is not an option!), I'd like to hear it.
    Maintaining enthusiasm in the face of crushing apathy.

Registered
    Jul 2002

boot

Quote Originally posted by Coragus View post
    That's right. At 1600 (4:00 PM) yesterday, I swore in as a member of the Kentucky National Guard. I'm an Officer Candidate, but first I have to make it through Basic.

If any of you planners out in Cyburbia-land have any advice for me ("run" is not an option!), I'd like to hear it.
    Fort Jackson?

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Quote Originally posted by Tom R View post
    Fort Jackson?
    It has to be there or "Paridise" Island I guess. Either way it's gonna be HOT!
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Jul 2002

army

Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    It has to be there or "Paridise" Island I guess. Either way it's gonna be HOT!
    If its the Army, it's Fort Jackson..Tank Hill etc. Give my regards to "Drag Ass Hill."
    http://www.panoramio.com/photo/5659950

Registered
    Jul 2006
    No more basic training at Ft. Knox? That's where I did mine back in 1968.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Congrats, thank you for your service and good luck!
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Good luck and best wishes to you! God bless.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

BANNED
    Registered
    Aug 2010
    you are beyond the help of advice. The first mistake was enlisting.

I do wish you all the best of luck and am thankful that there are people such as you to
    uhm... do those things.

On the other hand, it would be much more sensible if everyone involved in such groups quit. But thats another thread.

If you know Chi Sao, like I do, don't use it on the drill instructor. There, i gave some advice.

Registered
    Aug 2004

This is some of the advice that my dad (retired officer) gave my never-ever-no-way-possible-to-be-an-officer niece when she enlisted. She's lasted 4 years so far - and is facing deployment next week.

-always say sir or ma'am, unless directly ordered not to
    -volunteer occassionally for a not-so-great duty, so you don't get "volunteered" for the really nasty duties
    -if the drill sarge says "drop and give me 20", do it
    -in boot camp, you are not expected to think. Only to do.
    -do it well the first time, so you don't have to do it again
    -the food won't be that great - plain at best - but eat it. It's all you get.
    -keep your bunk and box as neat and orderly as possible
    -no one likes a whiner, so don't whine - suck it up and take it like a man

Thank you for volunteering. Good luck with Boot Camp, and beyond!
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    May 2002
    To those that asked, yes, Ft. Jackson.
    Maintaining enthusiasm in the face of crushing apathy.

Registered
    Jul 2002

Fort Jackson

To those that asked, yes, Ft. Jackson.
    I was there in August - September '67. It was hot and probably hotter now. All the old WW II barracks are gone -GOOD! They were fire traps. Just do what you're told and try not to get to the point where the cadre know your name. Good luck.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I don't know if Army boot camp is like Marine boot camp, but I'll assume it is. The physical component is demanding, but the endless mind games are really the challenging part.

- Never volunteer to do anything.
    - Two things get you noticed: doing well and doing poorly. The middle of the pack equals the least pain. In other words don't be noticed
    - Never question an order (you'd think that would be obvious as hell but some dumb SOB always does)
    - Remember, once you're done with it no one will ever give a crap how well or poorly you did in Basic. Just get through it.
    - Don't laugh. Ever. Really, just don't do it.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Be sure to let the drill sergeant know that you are an officer candidate as soon as you arrive. Future officers receive special attention during basic.

You will be outside much of the time. Since you are probably not accustomed to that it may be a strain on your eyes. Wear sunglasses.

Show team spirit. Shave "Go Army!" on the back of your head.

Bring plenty of snacks to sustain you between meals, since basic is physically demanding.

Ignore all of my advice.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Cardinal View post
    Be sure to let the drill sergeant know that you are an officer candidate as soon as you arrive. Future officers receive special attention during basic.

You will be outside much of the time. Since you are probably not accustomed to that it may be a strain on your eyes. Wear sunglasses.

Show team spirit. Shave "Go Army!" on the back of your head.

Bring plenty of snacks to sustain you between meals, since basic is physically demanding.
    LOL! there was a guy in our boot camp platoon who had an older brother who was already a marine with several years in. Remeber mail call? This guy's brother wrote him a letter every week and would write things on the outside of the envelope like "I got your letter about how you kicked that D.I.'s ass that got up in your face. I'll bet they respect you now!" or "that was an awesome story about how you told that D.I. to 'blow me'. You sure told him off". Needless to say the D.I.'s had lots of 'fun' with it.

hmmmm..... so Coragus please give us your boot camp address as soon as you know it. I'm sure many Cyburbians would like to send you letters of support to help you through the trying time.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2009
    Based on my, albeit quite dated, experience with Basic I think Maister's tips are spot on.

Shortly before getting drafted I read a personal account of BCT wherein the author suggested that a team of generals selects BCT sites based on a convergence of lousy weather conditions, incidence of poisonous insects/reptiles/plants and an absence of any redeeming cultural qualities in the nearby civilian community...I found it to be a valid premise.

@ Tom R. would you know when they finally got rid of the wooden barracks were demo'd? They were still there in 72/73 when I passed though.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    An unfired rifle stays clean.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Boot Camp is for Marines, everybody else goes to basic training.

When are you headed down there? I was at the MCRD at Parris Island in August, July, and September of 1997 and the heat and humidity were absolutely oppressive. If you are headed down during the summer at all, I'd start acclimatizing yourself right now by slowly increasing your outdoor physical activity and drinking a lot of fluids. Not really increasing your fluid intake until you are actually there will not do you much good because your body will not have had time to get used to the changes.

Is this actual basic training or is this like Officer Candidate School (or whatever the Army/National Guard equivalent is)? From all that I have heard, basic training (and boot camp) are much tougher psychologically than OCS (especially if you are in your mid-to-late 20s or older) while OCS is much tougher physically. But don't worry about the physical aspect because officers don't have to do any actual labor once they are out of training!

In the end, the best advice I can give is go in with a positive attitude and keep that positive attitude throughout!
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Nov 2008
    I did Navy boot camp and OCS. OCS was tougher, physically and mentally. Not that boot camp was fun, mind you.

Don't attract attention. Just don't.

Be able to max out your physical test standards before you arrive. You'll loose quite a bit from the shock of the indoctrination process.

Don't attract attention.

In the Navy, there was a bunch of "gouge" you had to memorize and recite continuously. If you have it all down (code of conduct, general orders, etc.) before you arrive you'll have less tedious stuff to worry about and you might be able to avoid beatings for getting things wrong.

Don't ever forget that you'll never do it correctly or fast enough.
    You can grow ideas in the garden of your mind.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally posted by der Bebauungsplan View post

@ Tom R. would you know when they finally got rid of the wooden barracks were demo'd? They were still there in 72/73 when I passed though.
    Google drag ass hill and/or Ft. Jackson. My neighbor was there, I think around '84 and I believe they were gone then. I remember waxing and re-waxing that center isle then the drill Sgt. would come in and deliberately walk down it and spin and scuff his boots.

Quote Originally posted by Otis View post
    An unfired rifle stays clean.
    Not when you low-crawl through sand it doesn't.
    Last edited by Maister; 19 Aug 2010 at 4:43 PM. Reason: sequential posts

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2009
    Drag ass hill...that was a repressed memory til now. Not to mention melting floor wax and "renting" a buffer so that the center aisle was"perfect".

I think I need a beer or two to fend off further recollection.

I second the caution about attracting any form of attention.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Thank you for your service to our country.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Thank you!

Stay hydrated and make sure that everything your recruiter told you is in writing. If it's not written down and signed, it never happened. Thank you for your service to our country.

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    Thank you for your service to our country.
    I second that. For those of us who couldn't serve, we appreciate what you are doing.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Whose Yur Planner View post
    For those of us who couldn't serve, we appreciate what you are doing.
    What he said. Thank You.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    I did Army ROTC over four years AND the Army National Guard during college. I enlisted the summer between high school and college and completed Basic and AIT at Ft. Leonard Wood, MO as a combat engineer (MOS was 12B at the time). My guard unit was a combat engineering company in the next state over. From what I heard OCS is more challenging since you compress all of that training into a shorter time span.

An easier way is to ask for a field commission, but I think the president is busy right now doing other "stuff".

My advice:
    APFT: start working on your 2 mile run, push ups, and sit ups. If you aren't in shape do it now. You don't want to end up in a remedial platoon. Check APFT charts to find out the scoring based on your age. A perfect score of 300 is different for a 18 year old man and a 40 year old man.
    BRM: if they give you cheap foam earplugs make sure they are all the way in. I spent too many hours in a foxhole with rounds firing off left and right and it left my ears ringing for days.
    Airborne/Air Assualt: if there is a slot to earn your jump wings during your career, go for it. The opportunity is amazing!
    No matter how well you clean your rifle, there is always some grease build up even further inside.

Be careful about telling your fire team about OCS or OBC. Even if you might never lead these troops as an officer, there is often a distance that separates enlisted and officers. The last thing you want to do is make enemies, especially at Basic or AIT.

Why exactly are you wanting to do the guard? If you really want to serve, great. If you are doing it for the money and benefits, you are wasting your time in the Guard, go active.
    "This is great, honey. What's the crunchy stuff?"
    "M&Ms. I ran out of paprika."

Family Guy

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Good news: Bad news
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 14 Apr 2012, 12:56 PM
  2. Good news for men
    Friday Afternoon Club