Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Local body as applicant

Registered
    Aug 2008

Local body as applicant

I know this is likely best put to our own lawyer, but how does the local body (City)go about rezoning a parcel it has bought from a private party?

Change from residential to "government".

I'm thinking ordinary application w/ mayor or clerk as applicant?

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    How about a staff initiated amendment? It's done all the time.

Registered
    Oct 2005
    You could also have the mayor or a council person propose the zoning amendment and have it go through the normal channels at council level.

Registered
    Feb 1998
    The city owns the land. The city would be the applicant. The governing by resolution would authorize the clerk to file a petition.

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Yeah, we do this kind of thing all the time. Just to keep things "straight" I usually fill out (or ask the public works director if it's related to his machinations, etc.) to fill out the appropriate applications and start a file like I would on any project. Then I just treat the city as the client/applicant and go for it.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Dec 2009

We actually exempt ourselves from the Zoning Code, which I recommend ONLY if you modify your NEPA policy to properly identify that ANY decision of ANY kind on your own property then becomes inherently discretionary rather than ministerial, since you always have the option of NOT making said decision, and is thus subject to a NEPA assessment.

Registered
    Aug 2008
    Thanks for the ready answers to my nuts and bolts questions. Like the Maori shaman in the film "Whalerider" I am but a fledgling new to flight.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    May 2009
    We do city initiated rezonings all the time - it started out mainly to correct errors in the land use transition to our new land use bylaw. But when our policy department has done new policy plans for areas - they often provide a recommendation attached the report to council (with the policy) that staff initiate the appropriate rezonings to implement the policy.

In your case; your city should be able to be the applicant without much problem. Just need to make sure that you follow your public participation/community consultation process to the letter and are really careful you don't give yourself (the city) and advantage over any other application.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 3
    Last post: 15 Mar 2011, 12:06 PM
  2. PhD applicant
    Student Commons
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 19 Nov 2009, 12:07 PM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last post: 12 Nov 2009, 12:40 AM
  4. Responsibility of the applicant
    Make No Small Plans