Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: When the train (of attention) goes off the tracks: split from RTDNTOTO

Registered
    Dec 2008

When the train (of attention) goes off the tracks: split from RTDNTOTO

You know when you have a sit down meeting with an applicant and you think to yourself "how could I have missed all this obvious stuff in my review?" and you wonder why you wouldn't just consult the code on this project? You ever have one of those or is it just me today? I'm very disappointed in me right now....
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Quote Originally posted by ursus View post
    You know when you have a sit down meeting with an applicant and you think to yourself "how could I have missed all this obvious stuff in my review?" and you wonder why you wouldn't just consult the code on this project? You ever have one of those or is it just me today? I'm very disappointed in me right now....
    a. The phone rings. And rings, and rings, and rings
    b. Someone pops their head in your office while you are reviewing plans
    c. The budget meeting moments before was ugly
    d. Did I remember to send "X" with the kids today?
    e. Why is the heat on when it's 94F outside?
    f. The coffee is empty/cold/tastes like crap
    g. Who put that on my desk?
    h. My eyes/back/knee is still hurting
    i. It's WHAT time?
    j. Damn, she's pretty hot
    k. Fill in the blank

Don't be too hard on yourself ursus, it happens to all of us. The worst for me was forgetting the name of a street during a fairly contentious public hearing, and I could NOT remember it for the life of me. I beat myself up over that, but with perspective, it's not that big a deal when I look at it now...

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker View post
    a. The phone rings. And rings, and rings, and rings
    b. Someone pops their head in your office while you are reviewing plans
    c. The budget meeting moments before was ugly
    d. Did I remember to send "X" with the kids today?
    e. Why is the heat on when it's 94F outside?
    f. The coffee is empty/cold/tastes like crap
    g. Who put that on my desk?
    h. My eyes/back/knee is still hurting
    i. It's WHAT time?
    j. Damn, she's pretty hot
    k. Fill in the blank

Don't be too hard on yourself ursus, it happens to all of us. The worst for me was forgetting the name of a street during a fairly contentious public hearing, and I could NOT remember it for the life of me. I beat myself up over that, but with perspective, it's not that big a deal when I look at it now...
    Thanks. You are too kind. Now if I can just get to sleep I will probably be ok at pc meeting tomorrow night. On thje othert hand I'm getting killer amounts of laundry done and mrs ursus will think I'm a prince.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I hate it when I miss super obvious stuff, but have tried to learn to be more patient with myself over the years and simply accept that this kinda stuff happens from time to time. It happens to everyone no matter how detail oriented they are.

One time I missed the fact that a restaurant parking lot didn't quite have an adequate turning radius for our fire apparatus - shoulda just jumped out at me. It was little comfort when the entire pc didn't pick up on it later on either.

Registered
    Dec 2008
    I'm in the meeting, reading from my own notes..."OK so it's a 1/500 parking ratio.." and we don't actually have a 1/500 parking ratio. It should be 1/400. And I forgot to calculate the bottom floor. And to top it all off...there's no possible way anyone not on a uni-cycle could back out of the final parking stall they did provide.

So I did what all good planners do...I blamed the intern. (Before any interns send me hateful posts, I don't really have an intern.)

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    my canned answer has been and I'm not kidding and it worked is/was: I was just making sure you were paying attention

Registered
    Mar 2003
    My answer. There is only one of me, how can I possibly understand every single alternate someone else might come up with! They go off on tangents I can't even dream up.
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 21
    Last post: 04 May 2011, 10:37 PM
  2. Replies: 23
    Last post: 26 Aug 2010, 12:59 PM
  3. Replies: 8
    Last post: 10 Jul 2010, 2:57 PM
  4. Replies: 12
    Last post: 09 Oct 2007, 12:07 PM
  5. Replies: 36