Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Street musicians - ordinance?

Registered
    Jun 2010

Street musicians - ordinance?

Hi Everyone,

We are having an issue with street musicians in our small, historic downtown area and our ordinance is currently silent on the issue. The only portion of our ordinance remotely dealing with this is the noise ordinance. When the police enforced it and asked the gentleman to move along, that started a firestorm of controversy including involvement by the ACLU. The City Council has, for now, suspended enforcement of the noise ordinance as it relates to street musicians pending staff review of our ordinances.

So, do any of you have experience with regulating and/or permitting street musicians? And the very fine line we are walking here with panhandling?

Any help is greatly appreciated,
    Erin

Moderator note:
    Identical thread in the Economic Development subforum deleted. Please, only one thread per topic. See Fourm Rules.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2009
    I don't have any direct experience with the issue. However, you may find this discussion helpful in figuring out what you can and cannot regulate

http://www.firstamendmentcenter.org/news.aspx?id=21232

While this topic is under discussion, could anyone suggest how to regulate mimes?

Registered
    Dec 1998
    I don't have any direct experience with this, but I do know that the City of New Orleans is currently engaged in a battle with street musicians over enforcement of an ordinance that prohibits live music played in the streets after 8 pm.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Mar 2003
    I don't have anything but what about a licensure with some strings attanched like time and place. I like street musicians but do understand that it has the potential to be an issue.
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Gotta Speakup View post
    While this topic is under discussion, could anyone suggest how to regulate mimes?
    Off-topic:
    The first question to solve is how to get 'em out of their damn boxes. Then we regulate the hell out of them.

Registered
    Jul 2004
    Here's my advice: Call the City of St. Augustine, Florida city planner. To make a long story short, they have successfully regulated the streets where performers became a problem.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Street Musicians
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 06 Jun 2013, 8:50 AM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last post: 09 Nov 2012, 1:51 PM
  3. Musicians and the 'badass' scale
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 27
    Last post: 20 Aug 2012, 7:58 PM