Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The 2010 Hurricane Season Thread

Registered
    Aug 2001

The 2010 Hurricane Season Thread

Danielle is headed out to open waters. That's good, but Earl looks like it's another story. By Thursday, you folks on the Eastern seaboard are forecast to feel the effects. Hunker down and be safe. I'm not looking forward to the tropical wave behind Earl. At some point, one of these things will enter the Gulf. Let's all hope for the best.
    Habitual Offender

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Storm Names

Fiona
    Gaston
    Hermine
    Igor
    Julia
    Karl
    Lisa
    Matthew
    Nicole
    Otto
    Paula
    Richard
    Shary
    Tomas
    Virginie
    Walter
    http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/aboutnames.shtml

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    The latest 5-day forecast shows Earl making landfall as a major hurricane in the NJ/Long Island/Rhode Island area around Friday night. Stay safe everyone!
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

What come's after Walter? Looks like we're going to need to know before too long.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by Super Amputee Cat View post
    What come's after Walter? Looks like we're going to need to know before too long.
    From the National Hurricane Center:

"In the event that more than 21 named tropical cyclones occur in the Atlantic basin in a season, additional storms will take names from the Greek alphabet: Alpha, Beta, Gamma, Delta, and so on"

Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess View post
    From the National Hurricane Center:

"In the event that more than 21 named tropical cyclones occur in the Atlantic basin in a season, additional storms will take names from the Greek alphabet: Alpha, Beta, Gamma, Delta, and so on"
    Why wouldn't they use Y and Z first, I wonder.

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Super Amputee Cat View post
    Why wouldn't they use Y and Z first, I wonder.
    Too few names...Zed and Yanni would always make the list...I think 2005 was the last time they got to the greek letters.
    "You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it,..." -Bane

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)

"because who ever heard of a "him-icane"

And when a storm turns out to be significant, that name is never used again, i.e. only one Katrina and Ike.

Just looked it up...more fun facts.

...lists are recycled after six years, although the names of notable hurricanes are retired by the WMO on request. All letters of the alphabet are used except Q, U, X, Y and Z. ...The use of 21 names was established in reference to the 1933 Atlantic hurricane season which had been the record holder for the most storms in the region. This record was broken during the 2005 season, which saw 28 storms (27 named and one unnamed), and saw the first use of the Greek alphabet to name storms.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Veloise View post
    And when a storm turns out to be significant, that name is never used again, i.e. only one Katrina and Ike.

Retired Hurricane Names Since 1954
    http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/retirednames.shtml

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I always like it when they use my name. I have only seen it once though. It isn't retired, so maybe I can look forward to that again It's the little things in life - like the NHC naming a hurricane after you
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2007
    I am wishing all hurricanes away from my current state...aftering going through 3 in central FL in 2004, I've had enough for my lifetime.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Interesting read:

THE DEADLIEST, COSTLIEST, AND MOST INTENSE UNITED
    STATES TROPICAL CYCLONES FROM 1851 TO 2006 (AND
    OTHER FREQUENTLY REQUESTED HURRICANE FACTS)
    April 2007
    http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/pdf/NWS-TPC-5.pdf

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    I've never been through a direct hitting hurricane, but a couple of times in upstate SC there were some glancing blows that resulted in better than a foot of rain in 24 hours. I also chased a hurricane up the Eastern seaboard from NC to NJ back in 2006 when I moved here. It was a hellacious drive between the wind and driving rain.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    Retired Hurricane Names Since 1954
    http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/retirednames.shtml
    Crap! Stan got retired in 2005.

You know, retiring names could be problematic when you get to certain letters that very few first names begin with (like "O"). It doubled the potential name database when they added male names, but still I wonder if anyone has considered this?

Registered
    Aug 2003
    All the models have been forecasting Earl to take a sharp rightward turn, while Earl has simply kept to a heading between 270/285. The tracks keep getting closer and closer to the east coast. Y'all pay attention back east, now, hear?

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    My name was retired when I was still just a youngin'.

Earl almost sort of resembles 1999's Floyd. I don't know if anyone remembers, but that storm caused a huge evacuation of Florida's Atlantic Coast because no one knew where Floyd was going to hit, and then it made a turn to the north, and then coastal GA was evacuted, then SC, and then it finally made landfall in North Carolina.

On one hand, if you don't completely evacuate an area, you could have a disaster like Katrina. But if you do completely evacuate an area, you could have a disaster like Rita. So what do you do?
    -Steven Tyler

My name has never been in the hurricane rotation. I just figured you had to know someone to have a 'cane named after you.

Registered
    Jun 2009
    I've only been through one hurricane personally and that was Fran back in '96 when I was in SE Virginia.

I'm just dreading the day when Hurricane Ditka reaches land. It will be destruction the likes of which has never been witnessed by mankind.

DAAAA BEAARRSSSSSS!!!
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Being hit by hurricane Earl is about as bad as being hit by hurricane Bubba.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by kjelsadek View post
    I've never been through a direct hitting hurricane, but a couple of times in upstate SC there were some glancing blows that resulted in better than a foot of rain in 24 hours. I also chased a hurricane up the Eastern seaboard from NC to NJ back in 2006 when I moved here. It was a hellacious drive between the wind and driving rain.
    If earl nears the coast, you need to have someplace to evacuate. /Cat 4 is ugly; cat 5 means no buildings are left standing. Just be prepared to move inland, really fast.

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Hurricane Earl is now a Category 3, but that's still pretty intense.

Hurricane Warning for the Outer Banks of NC, Tropical Storm warning for the Wilmington, NC area, Hurricane Watch for the Del-Mar-Va area, and high surf advisories all the way down to FL. I hope our Cyburbian friends along the East Coast stay safe. Hopefully, the brunt of this storm remains off-shore.
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Now TS Gaston has formed. At some point, one of these things is entering the Gulf.

You folks on the eastern seaboard, all the best.
    Habitual Offender

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Gone a couple times to the National Buoy Data Center website today and "watched" Hurricane Earl coming closer to the coast. The winds are increasing and wave height and intervals are cool.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    National Buoy Data Center : http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

From the Census Bureau -

Media Advisory — Census Bureau Provides Updated Look at Coastal Areas Potentially Impacted by Hurricane Earl
    http://www.census.gov/newsroom/relea...cb10-cn73.html

interesting link:
    As the 2010 hurricane season progresses, the Census Bureau will continue to post information about the affected areas on its Census Bureau Data and Emergency Preparedness website at http://www.census.gov/newsroom/emergencies/

Registered
    May 2005
    I know this is weird and hopefully not degrading to those who have dealt with them, but I would like to experience a Category 3-5 hurricane. I think it's sort of along the same lines of me secretly wishing I could be a tornado chaser.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. The 2012 Hurricane Season thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 73
    Last post: 30 Nov 2012, 8:58 PM
  2. 2010/11 Season
    Fantasy Football
    Replies: 14
    Last post: 24 Jun 2010, 4:54 PM
  3. 2009 Hurricane Season