Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: 5th Anniversary of Hurricane Katrina

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries

5th Anniversary of Hurricane Katrina

This weekend marks the 5th Anniversary of Hurricane Katrina, the worst natural disaster to occur in the United States in most of our lifetimes. I'm sure the images of the disaster and ensuing tragedy are still fresh in our minds and may still conjure up strong emotions about what happened in that situation and how things could (and should) have been handled much better.

The hurricane caused massive storm surge and wind damage in Coastal Mississippi and flooded most of New Orleans when levees broke. Katrina caused the deaths of over 1,800 people, caused over $80 billion in damage, and forever altered the Gulf Coast region, which still struggles to cope with the disaster and rebuild five years later.

There are a number of threads on Cyburbia discussing Katrina and its impact, but here is the primary one that discussed the storm and the ensuing tragedy as it unfolded:
    http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/showt...hlight=katrina

Any thoughts, 5 years later? Do you remember where you were in late August/early September 2005 as the Katrina disaster unfolded? What are your memories from that period? What was your reaction then? What is your reaction now? Do you think we have learned anything and do you think America is prepared to better handle another disaster of similar epic proportions?
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Quote Originally posted by illinoisplanner View post
    This weekend marks the 5th Anniversary of Hurricane Katrina, the worst natural disaster to occur in the United States in most of our lifetimes. I'm sure the images of the disaster and ensuing tragedy are still fresh in our minds and may still conjure up strong emotions about what happened in that situation and how things could (and should) have been handled much better.

The hurricane caused massive storm surge and wind damage in Coastal Mississippi and flooded most of New Orleans when levees broke. Katrina caused the deaths of over 1,800 people, caused over $80 billion in damage, and forever altered the Gulf Coast region, which still struggles to cope with the disaster and rebuild five years later.

There are a number of threads on Cyburbia discussing Katrina and its impact, but here is the primary one that discussed the storm and the ensuing tragedy as it unfolded:
    http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/showt...hlight=katrina

Any thoughts, 5 years later? Do you remember where you were in late August/early September 2005 as the Katrina disaster unfolded? What are your memories from that period? What was your reaction then? What is your reaction now? Do you think we have learned anything and do you think America is prepared to better handle another disaster of similar epic proportions?

"Heck of a job, Brownie!" Yeah, right

It was the one disaster that finally cemented by virulent hatred of the Bush Administration. The fact that most of the powers-that-be have gone unpunished as a result of this fiasco, is absolutely criminal. The response to this disaster could not have been handled more incompetently. The complete and utter for failure on levels of government is absolutely incomprehensible. And just like Iraq and Afghanistan a lot more people are dead than would have been if someone else would have been president at this time other than Bush.

As for my "memories from that period" I was still living with my kids at the time and we had just got back from a nice vacation in Michigan. So as miserable and depressing as watching those horrors unfold on TV was, it was, in context, a much better era for me personally than now.

I just had no way of knowing this at the time.

Registered
    Dec 1998
    I have no desire to revisit those days.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I am glad it is five years later. That is about all I can say about that. After visiting last year, it isn't like it was before. And I don't think it ever will be.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I remember on the evening before the storm was supposed to really bear down on the coast, my wife and I (GF at the time) were getting ready to go to dinner and I was glued to the tube. She wanted to leave right then and I said something like, "Don't you want to watch the news? This could be the big one!" and her approximate reply was, "They say that every time there's a hurricane. Nothing bad is going to happen. Let's go to Applebee's!"
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Katrina occurred just as I began college (which is kind of weird since 9/11 kicked off my high school years).

I was a freshman and remember sitting in my dorm watching coverage of the storm on Fox News, CNN, and the Weather Channel. Crazy times. I remember a lot of people saying, oh it will be fine. And even when it hit, for awhile, everybody was like "OK, New Orleans has been spared, phew." The immediate devastation from the storm surge and wind in Mississippi was terrible, but then a day later I believe, the levees broke, and the floodwaters kept rising and before you knew it, most of New Orleans was underwater. Things were going haywire at the Superdome and the Convention Center. People were dying by the masses. It was terrible. I remember my roommate loved The Daily Show with Jon Stewart and so we would watch that at night and I thought it was very disappointing to see them make fun of such a tragedy, even if they were making fun of Bush mostly. Was there a failure of government? Yes there was...an epic failure. But if you want to blame Bush, I say also blame the state of Louisiana and mayor Nagin because they are just as much at fault. Nevertheless, Katrina was the nail in the coffin for Bush's presidency.

Then Rita hit and it seemed like the world was coming to an end. When would these Category 5 monster hurricanes from the Gulf stop? People saw the carnage in New Orleans and thus all of metro Houston wanted to get the hell out of there. I remember the carnage of people dying on the highway trying to get out ahead of the storm...the bus with elderly people that exploded and burned on a Texas highway. Many people were even coming up to Illinois to seek refuge. You couldn't get far enough away from the Gulf back in '05.

Then the fuel prices climbing sky-high. I remember the price went up from like $3.00 to $3.30 overnight one time. But I knew that high gas prices and bottled water shortages at the grocery store was nothing compared to what people were experiencing down in the Gulf Coast area. Such horrific devastation.

I remember my Geography department (which also included the Meteorology department) was having a field day covering these disasters. Suddenly, storms of yesteryear like Camille and Andrew weren't the examples my professors were using. Suddenly, all you had to do was turn on the TV to understand what you just learned about in class that day.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Mar 2003
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    I remember on the evening before the storm was supposed to really bear down on the coast, my wife and I (GF at the time) were getting ready to go to dinner and I was glued to the tube. She wanted to leave right then and I said something like, "Don't you want to watch the news? This could be the big one!" and her approximate reply was, "They say that every time there's a hurricane. Nothing bad is going to happen. Let's go to Applebee's!"
    Off Topic: My mom did that to me when they landed on the moon. She is all come on lets go and I wanted to sit and watch. DUH!

I watched the news for hours. And then days. Wishing I could do something, we put our names on a list of people that would take people in but nothing ever came of that. I knew sending truck loads of clothes was not going to help.

I was very surprised the other day when the news finally started talking about the levy protection projects.
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    A lot of the FEMA trailers were supplied by a company in my fair state. Being unemployed at the time, I volunteered to hitch one up to my minivan and drive it south. They dissuaded me, stating that unless the car had a towing package, I would be very sorry.

Anyone recall reading about the hero who traveled to Tennessee (Memphis?) bought a used school bus, filled it with water, diapers, and MRE-type snacks, and drove to the Superdome?

I didn't plug my TV in for Katrina, but I spent a lot of time listening to broadcasts and following on-line coverage.

Registered
    Dec 2008
    I was on "hiatus" from planning at the time, writing property and casualty insurance in the gulf (among other places). I have to say it was heartening to see that the people I was working with (small outfit) didn't start lamenting the claims that were going to roll in, although we all knew it could potentially break us as a company. When that kind of thing happens, it just hits so close to home. I'll never forget.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Jun 2003
    ARTICLE HEADLINE: The vultures of Katrina
    How New Orleans fought back to save its soul from developers
    http://nky.cincinnati.com/article/B2...res-of-Katrina

HIGHLIGHTS:
    It's a triumph that the place continues at all; that it's still the singular city it was borders on the miraculous.

Their deepest worry was not that they might have to rebuild their homes with their own hands — this they were prepared to do — but that the disaster would give the outside world a chance to convert New Orleans into just another city driven
    Dan Baum is the author of “Nine Lives: Mystery, Magic, Death and Life in New Orleans.”

Typical story of
    local character vs outside experts saying we know what you need - our vision,

Anybody read his book ?
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Katrina aid goes toward luxury condos
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 24 Aug 2007, 10:29 AM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last post: 01 Jun 2006, 10:30 AM
  3. Hurricane Katrina Inundation
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 1