Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Waterfront amenities plan - any examples?

Registered
    Jun 2005

Waterfront amenities plan - any examples?

Hey everyone,

I could use a little advice on a proposed project.

The community I work for is located on the waterfront. We have a waterfront committee consisting of a number of interested residents and property owners that focus on waterfront-related events and initiatives intended to promoted the revitalization of the community's waterfront.

Several committee members have expressed interest in putting together a plan that would examine the various water-dependent amenities at the waterfront and set forth the ways in which they could be improved and expanded. By water-dependent amenities, I'm talking about the marinas, piers, docks, launches, ramps, etc that line the waterfront, and by expansion and improvement, I'm talking about identifying locations for new water access points and upgrades to what is there currently, but not to the level of actually drafting construction documents. The plan would also examine the various right of way options and requirements for the creation of a linear trailway along the waterfront, as this is something that the community has desired for some time. Finally, it would also include ideas for potential upgrades to signage to help people find their way around the waterfront.

I've done a couple of searches and have only been able to find one or two similar plans, both of which were referred to as "waterfront access plans". Are any of you out there familiar with these and do you know of any plans that are worth me taking a look at?

Finally, if we were to have some consultant support on the project, would the type of expertise required for this project be more suited to a more Landscape Architecture-focused firm, or are there general purpose land use planning outfits that would have the expertise necessary for this? Would you say that a firm would need to have a LArch on staff to undertake this project? Thanks!

Registered
    Aug 2002
    MacheteJames, your best bet - given your location - is to search for Local Waterfront Revitalization Plans (LWRPs). Another resource worth checking out is the Division of Coastal Resources at the NYS Department of State, which works with communities throughout the state on waterfront revitalization.

I think there are several communities in your neck of the woods that have completed LWRPs.

As far as your question about consultants, both "general purpose" land use planning firms and firms with LAs on staff work on LWRPs. You don't necessarily have to have an LA on staff, but it can be helpful for the community participation and visioning process.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I am surprised Mud Pricess did not mention it, but how about an economi/market study to determine the demand for uses like the marina, or to identify lease/development opportunities that might help to fund improvements. Around here, there has been a growing trend to build concessions that are rented to private operators for boat rentals, restaurants, or similar kinds of uses. My guess is that much of the design work could be donw by an LA or an engineer. I might be inclined to use an engineer, as my prior experience has shown them to have a better grasp of what may be technically feasible.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Mar 2004
    you might want to contact the following Conservancy:

http://www.detroitriverfront.org/
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Jun 2005
    Mud Princess, thank you. The kind of document that's been proposed is of a narrower scope than an LWRP. We have our own LWRP and obviously the document will be consistent with its policies.

What I'm talking about is more like this: http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcp/html/gre...raccess2.shtml

Is anyone aware of other plans of this type that are worth taking a look at?

The potential use of a landscape architect would be for the portion of the project that outlines locations for new benches to allow views of the river, locations where a landscaping plan could be created to enhance passive recreation, etc. There may be specialized knowledge involved in these project elements that a land use planner may not be best for.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Have you looked at The Waterfront Center: http://www.waterfrontcenter.org/
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 30
    Last post: 23 Sep 2013, 1:15 PM
  2. Replies: 4
    Last post: 26 Jan 2012, 2:34 PM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last post: 15 Feb 2009, 2:45 AM
  4. Replies: 9
    Last post: 25 Nov 2005, 8:52 AM
  5. Replies: 1