Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Popular Bands you Never Liked

Registered
    Dec 2008

Popular Bands you Never Liked

In this thread you list the popular bands you are not in to.

Don't hate me, but I don't enjoy the Beatles. I know it is sacrilegious but other than 8 Days a Week I find them to be pretentious. Where were the heavy-hitting lyrics? The fact that everyone I know says they are the best band ever makes me not like them.
    I burned down the church to atone for my transgressions.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by stroskey View post
    In this thread you list the popular bands you are not in to.

Don't hate me, but I don't enjoy the Beatles. I know it is sacrilegious but other than 8 Days a Week I find them to be pretentious. Where were the heavy-hitting lyrics? The fact that everyone I know says they are the best band ever makes me not like them.
    I hate you. Okay maybe not really. But obviously your taste is horrible

I'm not a fan of Aerosmith. I don't care for almost any pop musician... Justin Beiber is absolutely horrible. I respect Justin Timberlake, but the boy band thing was horrible.

If you write a ballad, you sure as hell need to be of age to mean it.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by stroskey View post
    Don't hate me, but I don't enjoy the Beatles. I know it is sacrilegious but other than 8 Days a Week I find them to be pretentious. .
    I'm going to join Stroskey on this fragile limb he's climbed out on, but I too just don't get the Beatles. I don't hate them, I just get why everyone loves them. Or the Rolling Stones, other than "Brown-Eyed Girl" (Was that the Rolling Stones?) Sorry Stroskey, I probably just killed us both...
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Dec 1998
    Quote Originally posted by ursus View post
    I'm going to join Stroskey on this fragile limb he's climbed out on, but I too just don't get the Beatles. I don't hate them, I just get why everyone loves them. Or the Rolling Stones, other than "Brown-Eyed Girl" (Was that the Rolling Stones?) Sorry Stroskey, I probably just killed us both...
    There's safety in numbers, because I don't like them either. "Brown-Eyed Girl" singer is Van Morrison.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    I went to the website for the RIAA Top Selling Artists (http://www.riaa.com/goldandplatinumd...able=tblTopArt), which kind of shows who's popular, and some artists I absloutely love and have several albums and like several songs, some artists I like a few songs, but others I just never got into. So, in order of who's sold the most albums, here's a list of popular artists I don't really care for (excluding country):

Barbra Streisand
    Celine Dion
    Neil Diamond
    Santana
    Chicago
    Simon & Garfunkel
    2 Pac
    Dave Matthews Band
    Michael Bolton
    Barry Manilow
    Jimmy Buffett
    Lionel Richie
    Genesis
    Meat Loaf
    Toni Braxton
    Josh Groban
    Grateful Dead
    Bonnie Raitt
    Cat Stevens
    Bone Thugs N Harmony
    Steely Dan
    Moby

There are certain artists where I hate their politics, their image, their attitude, their fanbase, basically everything about them, but I do enjoy some of their music, like Green Day, U2, Limp Bizkit, Coldplay, and Kanye West
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by illinoisplanner View post
    There are certain artists where I hate their politics, their image, their attitude, their fanbase, basically everything about them, but I do enjoy some of their music,
    Off-topic:
    Really you worry about the politics of musicians? Why does it matter? Are they worse because they are an R or D?
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by Planderella
    "Brown-Eyed Girl" singer is Van Morrison.
    Attention please, ursus will no longer be available to post, having just DIED OF SHAME!

His Tears For Fears records are now available at the estate sale....
    Last edited by Maister; 30 Aug 2010 at 4:52 PM. Reason: fixed quote tags
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by Hink_Planner View post
    Off-topic:
    Really you worry about the politics of musicians? Why does it matter? Are they worse because they are an R or D?
    I really like the music of Rage Against the Machine (I guess only when I work out??) but I think their politics are annoying, so it is possible to like the music of a group you don't really care for.
    I burned down the church to atone for my transgressions.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Sure.....

REM

GAG!
    “The way of acquiescence leads to moral and spiritual suicide. The way of violence leads to bitterness in the survivors and brutality in the destroyers. But, the way of non-violence leads to redemption and the creation of the beloved community.”
    Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
    - See more at: http://www.thekingcenter.org/king-ph....r7W02j3S.dpuf

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Off-topic:
    Not really. And for some bands, like Rage, the politics are so much a part of what makes the band what it is. Some of my favorite musicians are liberal Democrats, like Jon Bon Jovi. But some, like the bands I mentioned, are just so crazily outspoken and have such a pretentious liberal attitude that it almost turns me off. When someone claims that my president "hates black people", it kind of turns me off. Why I still have bought several of Kanye West's songs on iTunes despite that, I'll never know. His hits are just so captivating I guess.
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Jul 2007
    Peter Frampton, never liked his music and that voice thing he does is annoying

Speaking of annoying/cheesy music, a few weeks back the BF and I were on our way home after a 12 hour road trip south and put on some Michael Bolton the last hour to make it interesting enough to get home at a very late hour.
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Registered
    May 2002
    As a child of the 80's and a pretty big fan of the "Big Hair" genre, I have to say that Van Halen ranks below your average 5th grade middle school band's first concert for me.
    What do you mean I can't plan? My SimCity has 300,000 people with a 99% happiness rating!

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Lawrence Welk
    Captain and Tennille
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    Lawrence Welk
    Captain and Tennille
    Is there a difference ?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2009
    In their heyday - Pink Floyd. Over the course of several years in the late 60's/early 70's got dragged to several of their concerts by well intentioned folks with the mantra "If you only saw them live, you'd understand why they're so good" only to nearly die from terminal boredom each and every time.

I was finally able to say "No. I've already seen them in concert four times. It doesn't make a difference."

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Bon Jovi & Bruce Springsteen (I know...hand over the NJ card right now)
    Duran Duran
    Most 80s hair bands
    David Bowie
    The Beatles
    Michael Bolton
    Kenny G
    Jimmy Buffet
    Boys II Men
    Barbara Streisand
    Kanye West
    Prince

I am sure there are more but that's what I can think of at the moment.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    May 2004
    Steely Dan
    REM
    Dave Matthews
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    I'm not a fan of Aerosmith.
    I'm curious to know why you don't like them. I know a lot of people don't like them because of one particular era or sound. There's Aerosmith, a 1970s hard rock/arena rock band ("Sweet Emotion", "Dream On", "Back in the Saddle"), there's Aerosmith, the late 80s/1990s pop-rock MTV band ("Cryin", "Love in an Elevator", "Dude Looks Like a Lady", "I Don't Want to Miss a Thing", and then there's blues Aerosmith, the band that gets off on playing blues covers almost to the point of self-indulgence (Honkin' on Bobo, "Big Ten Inch Record", "Milk Cow Blues", "Hangman Jury", "Walkin' the Dog", "Rattlesnake Shake", etc.). So, which era do you dislike most/least? Does a certain era/sound that's more prevalent just tend to turn you off to the band completely?

Quote Originally posted by Coragus
    As a child of the 80's and a pretty big fan of the "Big Hair" genre, I have to say that Van Halen ranks below your average 5th grade middle school band's first concert for me.
    Same thing with Van Halen. There's Van Halen (1978-85) and then there's Van Hagar (1986-96). Van Halen features David Lee Roth on vocals and a more hard rock sound ("Runnin with the Devil", "Unchained", "Panama"), and lots of covers ("You Really Got Me", "Pretty Woman", "Dancing in the Street"). Van Hagar features Sammy Hagar on vocals, more ballads ("Dreams", "When It's Love") as well as pop-rock hits ("Why Can't This Be Love", "Right Now"). Is there an era you dislike more?
    -Steven Tyler

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Most of you are naming groups and singers that this Bear likes. To each his own, I guess. No biggie. Not a problem. 'Nuf said.

PS - Better start your car with a remote.

Bear Chicago REM Springsteen Steeley Dan Dave Matthews Peter Frampton The Beatles The Stones Meat Loaf Barbra Santana Dead Floyd
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Off-topic:
    Neil Young will be in our town next month. The venue organizers have made it crystal clear that there will likely be a lot of political statements and no refunds will be given for patrons who object.

In this town, I can see a whole bunch of people walking out on the concert.

This is the same town that Ron White (Blue Collar Comedy) was in a couple years ago and said he'd never come back because the audience was too hostile and straight-laced.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    The Eagles.
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Jan 2006
    The Eagles.
    Did I mention The Eagles?

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post
    The Eagles.
    get the hel! out of my cab.
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Any of those heavy metal hair bands: Poison, Motley Crue, et al
    And their pals: e.g., Metallica, Def Leppard

I've never understood the popularity of Bon Jovi.

I could also do without the glurginess (is that even a word? ) of Celine Dion and Michael Bolton.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by illinoisplanner View post
    I'm curious to know why you don't like them. I know a lot of people don't like them because of one particular era or sound. There's Aerosmith, a 1970s hard rock/arena rock band ("Sweet Emotion", "Dream On", "Back in the Saddle"), there's Aerosmith, the late 80s/1990s pop-rock MTV band ("Cryin", "Love in an Elevator", "Dude Looks Like a Lady", "I Don't Want to Miss a Thing", and then there's blues Aerosmith, the band that gets off on playing blues covers almost to the point of self-indulgence (Honkin' on Bobo, "Big Ten Inch Record", "Milk Cow Blues", "Hangman Jury", "Walkin' the Dog", "Rattlesnake Shake", etc.). So, which era do you dislike most/least? Does a certain era/sound that's more prevalent just tend to turn you off to the band completely?
    I dislike their "sound". It could annoy me also that Steven Tyler is so unattractive and his daughter is so attractive. Something is just wrong there. I like late 70 early 80s aerosmith, but lately (90 to today) they are just creating more junk music that is easily heard by millions. Meh.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 7
    Last post: 09 Oct 2013, 9:49 PM
  2. Popular Movies You Never Liked
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 25
    Last post: 31 Aug 2010, 4:11 PM
  3. Bands You Have Seen in Person
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 47