Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

Poll results: Sturgis or Burning Man: Which event would you rather attend?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • (crush beer can on head) Sturgis! What are you some kinda homo?

1 5.26%
  • The Goddess decrees through the rings of the trees it shall be Burning Man

10 52.63%
  • Um, I'd rather watch Gilligans Island reruns for a week than attend either

5 26.32%
  • other (explain below)

3 15.79%
+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Burning Man vs Sturgis

Registered
    Jul 2006

Burning Man vs Sturgis

The annual Sturgis Motorcycle Rally just ended and Burning Man is starting. If you could only attend one of these, which would it be and why?
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    May 2005
    Burning Man for me. I dig all the kinetic sculptures and inventions (not that I have been...) I also am also intrigued with the physical planning aspect of the event. The establishment and then dismantling of Black Rock City is pretty impressive, IME.

Chief among these institutions are the Black Rock Rangers and the DPW, our Department of Public Works. The DPW is headquartered on an 80-acre ranch near our city. Here are housed workshops, cherry pickers, cranes, water trucks, storage containers and an ever-growing fleet of trucks and trailers. Work at the ranch commences weeks before Burning Man begins. Indeed, without the DPW there could be no Black Rock City. These workers are responsible for surveying our city, installing its roads and street signs, and erecting the built environment — the buildings, trailers, trenched power lines, and communication towers that form the working infrastructure of our home in the desert. They install and repair our perimeter fence and manufacture several acres of shade in which our citizens can shelter from the sun. Rising at dawn, enduring 100-degree heat, and laboring in dust storms, the men and women of the DPW are desert-tested veterans of the Black Rock Desert. They are a breed apart.
    Pretty cool.
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Burning Man, absolutely. It reminds me a bit of the parties my friends and I used to have back from my New Mexico years, only on a far grander scale. Bikers are generally cool folks, but I think I'd have more fun among the more eclectic crowd in the Black Rock Desert.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I don't think I would fit in well at either, but I think the people at Sturgis would probably realize this much sooner than those at Burning Man.

Either way I choose Sturgis...because there is a better chance of random flashing
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Raver Chicks > Biker Chicks

'nuff said.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Ahh....

Quote Originally posted by Hink_Planner View post
    I don't think I would fit in well at either, but I think the people at Sturgis would probably realize this much sooner than those at Burning Man.

Either way I choose Sturgis...because there is a better chance of random flashing
    I always thought Burning Man was one huge flasher party? I mean, aren't there people walking around in the buff, chanting and stuff? Not that any of them are people you might want to see in that state to begin with.

I would pick Burning Man for the intangibles. I mean I don't even remember how to operate a motorcycle
    "The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    John Kenneth Galbraith

Registered
    Dec 2008
    I can imagine a future in which attendees of Sturgis and attendees of Burning Man can sit down together in peace....and decide what to do with the rest of us. I mean the ones who wear clothes.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Hink_Planner View post
    Um, gonna have to disagree with you there, unless you're eliminating "walking around naked" as not being "random flashing."

I went to Burning Man for one night and two days six years ago with a former girlfriend. It was kind of neat, but not really my crowd. Lots of drugs, lots of nudity, lots of orgies in tents, lots of sandstorms, no one sleeping, ever. Some cool art though.
    Two wrongs don't necessarily make a right, but three lefts do.

Registered
    May 2004
    Bunring man. No contest
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by CJC View post
    Um, gonna have to disagree with you there, unless you're eliminating "walking around naked" as not being "random flashing."

I went to Burning Man for one night and two days six years ago with a former girlfriend. It was kind of neat, but not really my crowd. Lots of drugs, lots of nudity, lots of orgies in tents, lots of sandstorms, no one sleeping, ever. Some cool art though.
    Well geez, I learn something new everyday. Drugs, Orgies, and nudity. I guess burning man it is.

ps. "walking around naked" would not be considered random flashing, it is considered preferable.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Seeing as how one just ended and the other is beginning I'd have to say....both. If I could only choose one I guess I'd have to go with Burning Man. I guess the surprise factor of never knowing quite what to expect wins me over.

How did this thread not get a poll? Just hafta do somethin about that...

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Which one has more nudity? THAT is the one to attend...
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Seeing as how one just ended and the other is beginning I'd have to say....both. If I could only choose one I guess I'd have to go with Burning Man. I guess the surprise factor of never knowing quite what to expect wins me over.

How did this thread not get a poll? Just hafta do somethin about that...
    I like motorcycles, I like art, I like nudity. There is no simple choice. Maybe they should combine the two. Biker art, burning bikers, naked nudes, beer, more beer, so many choices.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Well.....

Maybe Sturgis, if Sturgis was located in Miami Beach
    "The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    John Kenneth Galbraith

Registered
    Mar 2002
    I am the Burning Man sort
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    .... [snip]....naked nudes, ....[snip]....
    DOOD! My favorite!~
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Burning Man. I don't like noise, so Sturgis would be a pain for me. NTTATWWMotorcycles. I do like nakedidity.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Otis View post
    ..... I do like nakedidity.
    Who doesn't?
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Apr 2008
    Bonnaroo. I really want to go to Bonnaroo. Sturgis was cool, but I've done it, which leaves me with the option of Bonnaroo or Burning Man. I'd much rather see bands as opposed to sculptures, although the art at Burning Man is fantastic.
    In silence there is eloquence. Stop weaving and watch how the pattern improves - Rumi

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Scout View post
    Bonnaroo. .
    Do you know how to read thread titles?

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by imaplanner View post
    Scout hasn't posted much here. Don't tell me you've never given C as the answer when somebody asked you to choose between A and B.

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    Scout hasn't posted much here. Don't tell me you've never given C as the answer when somebody asked you to choose between A and B.
    Windy, starting to rain a little. Thanks for asking.

did you miss the ?

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Windy, starting to rain a little. Thanks for asking.

did you miss the ?
    Off-topic:
    Yeah, it's really starting to blow. Big time. Visibility is ...

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Yes

I would agree that some trees need sufficient room to grow.
    John Kenneth Galbraith

Registered
    Apr 2008
    I was actually going with the "other" option in the poll (option D). I thought Bonnaroo a swell "other" option. back at ya'
    In silence there is eloquence. Stop weaving and watch how the pattern improves - Rumi

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Sturgis Motorcycle Rally
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 38
    Last post: 16 Aug 2012, 10:47 AM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last post: 26 Mar 2007, 2:03 PM
  3. Branding - a burning question
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 25