Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Unofficial uniforms: AIB seersucker fashion

Registered
    Feb 2004

Unofficial uniforms: AIB seersucker fashion

I wonder how the stereotypical image of tourist attire evolved? (you know, Hawaiian shirt, leigh, bermuda shorts, Polaroid around neck, dark socks, white sunblock on nose)

what are the mandatory clothing requirements (shirts, pants, shoes, hats or any other accessories) for:
    college students (probably subgenres here too)
    gang bangers
    85 year olds
    crazy cat ladies
    bimboes
    bikers
    environmentalist

any other type of 'unofficial uniforms'?

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    any other type of 'unofficial uniforms'?
    Planners?
    Millionaires?
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by Hink_Planner View post
    Planners?
    Millionaires?
    Many big-city planners I know drive a Subaru but I have yet to really see Subarus in any small town. Khakis and a polo always seem to be standard get-up for most planners, perhaps a dress shirt and tie for meetings.

Millionaires come in so many varieties I don't know if we can pinpoint their uniform? I know quite a few people with a net worth over a million dollars and they generally seem to wear Sam's Club jeans and drive domestic SUVs, so it's not like the rich people you see in TV shows in their penthouses. (one of which bought a brand new car without a CD player because he thought it was too expensive)
    I burned down the church to atone for my transgressions.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by stroskey View post
    Many big-city planners I know drive a Subaru but I have yet to really see Subarus in any small town. Khakis and a polo always seem to be standard get-up for most planners, perhaps a dress shirt and tie for meetings.

Millionaires come in so many varieties I don't know if we can pinpoint their uniform? I know quite a few people with a net worth over a million dollars and they generally seem to wear Sam's Club jeans and drive domestic SUVs, so it's not like the rich people you see in TV shows in their penthouses. (one of which bought a brand new car without a CD player because he thought it was too expensive)
    Maybe I meant to say Country Club members... you know the type I am talking about... Ralph Lauren, boat shoes, and a sweater...
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by stroskey View post

Aside: Smart millionaires know cars are a bad investment. The car favored by most millionaires is a Ford Taurus, which they generally don't buy new. Compare this with 'the Situation' who I have never seen but heard much about who just bought himself and his brother each a Bentley. Good luck keeping those cars Sit!

Me? I am guilty of the kakis.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    When Rush Limbaugh had his television show in the 90s, young people in his audience frequently wore suits. I've noticed a similar trend with the audience on the Glenn Beck show; suits, or at least a button-down shirt with slacks. Compare that to the audience of a late night talk show.

The thing I've always wondered about: where do old ladies get their clothes? The granny-type clothes of the 1970s and earlier are now nonexistent, replaced by brightly colored polyester blouses and pants, bright floral prints, appliques, and the like. I've heard people theorize that such clothing is common at Kmart and Sears, but I've never seen it there. I've also heard that it's just clothes that have lasted from the 1970s, but even then such clothes weren't in style, and the shapes of the people wearing them have likely changed a lot in the past 30 to 40 years.

Old ladies with money shop at Coldwater Creek and Talbots. What about the old ladies we see at the buffet, or lines up at slot machines? When did the shift from frilly grandmother to lime green polyester take place, and why?

I wish I could find an example to show you, but Google image searches just reveal Gypsies, babushkas, and Lady Gaga.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Fashion vs. function...
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 46
    Last post: 15 Mar 2011, 2:18 PM
  2. Replies: 12
    Last post: 03 Sep 2010, 2:40 PM
  3. Replies: 160
    Last post: 06 May 2009, 5:10 PM
  4. The unofficial Cyburbia salary survey
    Career Development and Advice