Urban planning community

Poll results: Mobile Gardens

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • What a great idea, we can pick vegetables from it before boarding the train to go home

3 20.00%
  • What a lame idea, there should be a smoking and drinking club attached to the subway

7 46.67%
  • Dandy likes it and so do I

3 20.00%
  • See some other idea below

2 13.33%
+ Reply to thread

Thread: Really....mobile gardens?

Registered
    Mar 2004

Really....mobile gardens?

Ok, how many of you think this is a good idea? Having a mobile garden attached to the subway in Chicago. At some point all of us will be required to offset our own carbon/methane emissions by hauling backpack gardens around Maybe while wearing little hats with a bonsai trees on top? Don't get me wrong, I like flower beds and nice plants, but this is getting a little weird don't you think?

http://inhabitat.com/2010/08/31/help...news_184416090

Moderator note:
    (Dan) Fixed the link, so it's visible to those who aren't on LinkedIn.
    "The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    John Kenneth Galbraith

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Notice they don't have a picture for what this flower bed would look like in winter.... a train hauling around a bed of dirt and snow

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Maister is going to want to see vegetables. None of this flowery decorative crap.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    I think it's neat as an art project, but its impact on air quality is going to be pretty much nonexistent. More can be done by increasing pervious surface area and reclaiming little-used areas that are now paved over.

Quote Originally posted by TerraSapient View post
    Notice they don't have a picture for what this flower bed would look like in winter.... a train hauling around a bed of dirt and snow
    If this was in Buffalo, it would be full of weeds and Ailanthus altissima in a year.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I think they forgot about the additional energy required to haul that thing around.

Registered
    May 2004
    I love it. And I usually hate everything
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by imaplanner View post
    I love it. And I usually hate everything
    Off-topic:
    Even adorable puppies?

Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I think it is a nice idea, but not fully functional. Why waste the energy to haul around a planter? It will be ruined by people who throw crap in it, and as mentioned from October to May it will be pointless.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    Maister is going to want to see vegetables. None of this flowery decorative crap.
    What he said [/derisive snort of laughter].

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Uh...so how are they going to stop people from riding on the open car?

I love the smell of liability in the morning...

Registered
    Jun 2007
    It could work, but would it be more energy efficient just to plant gardens at stations rather than on trains?

Registered
    Apr 2008
    Why not spruce up the platform instead? Rooftop plantings on the platform canopy?
    In silence there is eloquence. Stop weaving and watch how the pattern improves - Rumi

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    I agree. Vegetables taste much better growing on the CTA, especially with cigarette butts, exhaust fumes, urine, trash, dead munchkins, etc.
    "This is great, honey. What's the crunchy stuff?"
    "M&Ms. I ran out of paprika."

Family Guy

Registered
    May 2005
    I think one of the unfortunate things about "green" art is that it is often assumed that this is intended to be a panacea. Its just a work of art. I didn't see anything that claimed it would offset the carbon output of the subway system or that it is the next great thing to transform the city into a more livable place.

The intriguing aspect to me is that, just like the original train "bombing" of graffiti, its one piece of artwork that travels through the city, reaching a larger group of people than if it were at a singe, static location. That's a lot cheaper than greening all the stations and, besides, I don't think it is supposed to be some permanent solution to any huge problems. To me, the intention is to raise questions about gardens, cultivation, the question of whether this has a place in urban life and, of so, where.how? Usually gardens are private affairs - in backyards or on roof tops. What if it were super-public? Are there spaces we encounter and use everyday that could be put to better or more productive use? (and I don't just mean gardens, but anything that serves the common good) To me, the work is about raising all of those ideas and possibilities.

As for the issue of liability, the text says the final product would sit on top of an existing enclosed car, so the picture was misleading in that sense.

Really, though, as far as public art's role of generating public discussion is concerned, I think its pretty darn cool. We're talking about it right now - including what other ideas would be even more impactful.
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    Off-topic:
    Even adorable puppies?

ESPECIALLY PUPPIES!!!!!!!

Except that one on the left with the tongue hanging out- what a cutie
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Where's Ashton? It's too untenable to be real. I think it's a punking of the whole community....
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Sep 2010

Yes, really. A mobile garden --

Hi there, As organizer of this project I’d like you you to know that the project is only proposed for 1 month, 8 hours a day, 5 days a week at this time. Planned for a groundbreaking in April 2011 and running the month of May only.

Did you know that a single empty CTA train weights 54,000 lbs? Considering the times that the CTA is proposing we run the car from/to we would be using off peak/less full train times and it would actually be a decrease in energy spent in a train line already being run.

This is first an art installation, that has been independently proposed and took me 1.5 years to even get the CTA to answer my calls/letters, let alone approve the project to move forward under conditions that any nfp artist would cringe at.

Cheers!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Community gardens
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 12
    Last post: 06 May 2011, 4:53 PM
  2. Rain gardens
    Environmental Planning
    Replies: 25
    Last post: 27 Aug 2010, 12:43 PM
  3. Where have all the gardens gone?