Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Facebook: balancing social and professional facets [split from RTDNTOTO]

Registered
    Jun 2007

Facebook: balancing social and professional facets [split from RTDNTOTO]

Well, I just befriended practically my entire workplace on Facebook - colleagues, board members, councillors, even the city manager. I guess I'll have to view them more as actual people now instead of professional colleagues. Part of me is already regretting this... should I?

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by TexanOkie View post
    Well, I just befriended practically my entire workplace on Facebook - colleagues, board members, councillors, even the city manager. I guess I'll have to view them more as actual people now instead of professional colleagues. Part of me is already regretting this... should I?
    Yes. definitely.
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Well, I just befriended practically my entire workplace on Facebook .....
    Part of me is already regretting this... should I?
    Just being at work is like being on FB for 40 hrs, isn't that enough ?

Registered
    Jun 2007
    I figure Facebook is both a social and professional network - otherwise I doubt I've have over 500 friends (Lord knows I don't have that many actual friends). It'll be handy to keep in touch with some people as I get closer to my grad school plans coming to fruition.

Registered
    Aug 2002
    If you're going to use Facebook for social and professional networking, you'll have to be much more cautious about what you post, IMHO. Don't forget to check your privacy settings and adjust them if necessary.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Bad idea. Just because you are friendly with those people doesn't mean you should consider them friends - even if it is in the ultra low friendship threshold environment of facebook.

I have 2 facebook accounts. One is work me, where I am the admin for our organization's fanpage. Coworkers, community people, my board, council, etc can friend me there. I rarely post anything there. It's just the way I use to run my fan page. The other account is real me. Where old friends, fraternity brothers, family, etc can see my stupid posts of movie quotes, updates on weird neighbors, or the latest antics of my dog.

And never shall the 2 meet.
    I'd be more apathetic if I weren't so lethargic.

Registered
    Aug 2004
    I haven't tried to friend anyone I currently work with/for on FB. Several of my former coworkers are friends, but only one current coworker. And that's only because when I accepted her friend request, she and I were in separate locations. Now we're both downtown, and sit 20 feet from each other.

FB is for social stuff, not work stuff. I like michiganplanner's plan on two pages, but I don't see the need for me - I don't have a fan base!
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Jun 2005
    I am friends with a number of work colleagues on FB, but not all. But i don't mention anything about work on FB- ever. My page is private, but i dont have cause to believe anything on my page would be embarrassing or would cause me employment issues in the future.
    "Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" Zoolander

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    If anything, I can understand friending staff members who you really get along with or whatever, but I think you're kind of pushing the envelope by friending council members, the city manager, and whatnot. If you feel you would leave these people out by friending only certain staff members, then I guess it's better not to friend anyone at all.

I figure Linkedin is a better place to add the professional colleagues. Facebook is just too risky. Even if you keep your profile clean and boring and free of anything that may stir up controversy, what if one of your friends posts a picture or something on your wall while you're away that could cause trouble? You may have done nothing wrong, but someone could at any time say something that suggests otherwise, and it could create a dicey situation.

As for now, I don't know if I would just de-friend everyone, since they might take that as a slight. Probably the better thing to do now is just be ready for damage control at any time.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I am FB friends with two people out of my 50+ person division. I only friend a co-worker if we legitimately hang-out after work, etc. I've friended most of the Cyburbians that I've met in person or feel like I know well because of activity on the site. I've also friended a couple of planning consultants I've worked with in the past, but that was because we became legitimate friends during our work together.

I friended a couple of Councilmembers, but that was only after I was no longer employed by the city and only because we work together in a couple of community organizations/charities.

I'm generally cautious about everything I post/do on facebook because even though I use it for social purposes, I know some little brainiac will eventually figure out how to hack the system to show perspective clients/employers without going through the "friending" process. I've made the mistake of posting a couple of work-related issues/vents, and now stay away from that. There's nothing quite like having mom chime in on something like that.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Jan 2005
    My community won't accept that Facebook is a good way to garner community support. Which annoys me. We are all banned from Facebook at work, so I don't believe that I have to pretend to be anyone's Friend.

Facebook is trouble for the work life. Unless you work for a beer distribution company or marketing firm, I would keep Facebook out of your professional life. Not worth the trouble.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Aug 2005
    I've done my best to stay away from coworkers et al on FB. I am only friends with 1 coworker, from a different department who I am friends with in real life. When work people ask I just say I like to keep my personal and professional life separate. Plus I don't want to be harassed by a board member because I didn't help out on his farm!

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    I don't have a facebook page because those that need to know what I'm doing call me or I call them. I don't need to post it to the world.

Saw a friend get burned with a FB picture and it wasn't pretty. Careful with the company folks.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Jul 2007
    Just have good privacy settings, don't allow people that aren't 'real' friends to view any photos, status updates, etc without you express consent. I put all of these people in a group and only allow them to see appropriate content.
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I had a fear of this long ago. I only added people from my high school to facebook. It was set-up exclusively as a way to get reunions organized. I will not add anyone else to it. I am always amazed at the number of people who post stupid crap on it about how drunk they got last night, complaining about the place that fired them.... I never post that sort of stuff, it can come to bite you on the butt. Facebook ain't all its cracked up to be.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Cyburbias Brewpub, best seat in the haus!
    September 15, Diaspora will launch. http://www.joindiaspora.com/index.html

It is being designed so you can split content to fit what others will see in different groups. You could split your family and work to see the straight laced TO and your friends will get the pictures of you passed out with smeared lipstick and a the lampshade on your head. Your S & M friends will only see you in your leatherdaddy outfit! You will also have control over your privacy settings.
    I can't deliver UTOPIA, but I can create a HELL for you to LIVE in :)DoD:(

Registered
    Jun 2007
    I've put most of my workplace/community contacts on my "Limited Profile" list, so they can't see my wall, my photos, or my personal information other than my contact information and work history.

Not that I had anything I was too worried about them seeing, other than a lot of shared National Review articles.

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    I've put most of my workplace/community contacts on my "Limited Profile" list, so they can't see my wall, my photos, or my personal information other than my contact information and work history.

Not that I had anything I was too worried about them seeing, other than a lot of shared National Review articles.
    Good thinking.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by illinoisplanner View post
    If anything, I can understand friending staff members who you really get along with or whatever, but I think you're kind of pushing the envelope by friending council members, the city manager, and whatnot. If you feel you would leave these people out by friending only certain staff members, then I guess it's better not to friend anyone at all.

I figure Linkedin is a better place to add the professional colleagues. Facebook is just too risky. Even if you keep your profile clean and boring and free of anything that may stir up controversy, what if one of your friends posts a picture or something on your wall while you're away that could cause trouble? You may have done nothing wrong, but someone could at any time say something that suggests otherwise, and it could create a dicey situation.

As for now, I don't know if I would just de-friend everyone, since they might take that as a slight. Probably the better thing to do now is just be ready for damage control at any time.
    Not only that, but at least here in Wisconsin, if the elected governing body of your municipality has only three seats, two of those seat holders (a quorum) randomly bumping into each other on a sidewalk and exchanging 'hello' could be nailed for holding an illegal meeting of that governing body, the state's 'Open Meetings' law is so strict. Most township boards in the state expanded themselves to at least five seats over the past couple of decades because of that. I don't know if it has been legally tested yet, but I could see where a circle of FB 'friends' where over half of them are on the city council could violate that law.

Mike

Registered
    May 2005
    I would never do this, under any circumstance, regardless of the privacy settings. Use LinkedIn for professional social networking.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Would anybody go as far as blocking their co-workers ?

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    Would anybody go as far as blocking their co-workers ?
    I have just stayed off of Facebook. I'm probably wrong, but what do you think the shelf-life is anyway? MySpace found a nitch with music, but Facebook will give way to some other social network site anyway and all that will remain is unintended searchable crap popping up in the future. Cyburbia and LinkedIn are as far as I go I think.

It's not that I don't see the social value there, I just don't like what comes with it. I have to pass.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Dec 1998
    My friends list is a mixture of my ultra-conservative-barely-spoke-a-word-to-me-in-high-school classmates, professional colleagues, and real friends (Cyburbians fall into this category ). The only things I really filter are apps like Farmville and Mafia Wars, where I only post to those I put on the specific lists.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 21
    Last post: 04 May 2011, 9:37 PM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last post: 25 Aug 2010, 5:10 PM
  3. Replies: 8
    Last post: 10 Jul 2010, 1:57 PM
  4. Replies: 12
    Last post: 09 Oct 2007, 11:07 AM
  5. Replies: 36