Urban planning community

Poll results: What do you think 'The Tea Party' in Michigan is?

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • a fake group contrived by Democrats bent on splitting the GOP

1 7.69%
  • Genuine independent mavericks

1 7.69%
  • Proof that both major parties are equally bereft of scruples

3 23.08%
  • Folks that enjoy GOOD QUALITY tea

4 30.77%
  • other (explain below)

4 30.77%
+ Reply to thread

Thread: Court rules "The Tea Party" off ballots in Michigan

Registered
    Feb 2004

Court rules "The Tea Party" off ballots in Michigan

http://www.detnews.com/article/20100...-deny-Dem-link

and

http://www.mlive.com/politics/index...._party_ca.html

In its decision released Monday, the three-member court said the word "the" was not in 24-point bold face type on the petitions as required by law. Michael Hodge, the lawyer representing "The Tea Party," could not immediately be reached Monday evening to say whether he would appeal to the Michigan Supreme Court.
    Using the wrong size type face for one word on a petition is grounds to get an entire party thrown off a ballot?

So do you think "The Tea Party" is a nefarious Democratic ploy to split the GOP? a group of committed independent-minded people? Genuine candidates capriciously removed from the ballot by a conservative court to protect GOP interests?

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I think that the democratic ploy of the tea party is as stupid as the republican splintering of the tea party.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Don't get me started on this.... as we have shown in the Political Thread, the Tea Party can be a lot of things to a lot of people. This is due to the fact that "The Tea Party" stands for nothing. It is not a group. It is a random assortment of people who want different things.

If you took the Tea Party and required them to run in an election like the R's and D's did, you would find that they couldn't win for their lives. They are uber-conservative social and fiscal people. They are finding traction only because our economy is in this crazy place it is in. If people really knew what the social values of some of these folks, it wouldn't work out very well for the Tea Party. I know IP will argue that they are a diverse group, but in my experience (yes I went to a rally ) it was a bunch of white people. Many were ranting about things that have no relavance, and many were racist and bigoted. Also, the party seems to be prevalent with EXTREME misinformation. Obama doesn't have a birth certificate is a muslim and goes to a church (which is christian) with a radial pastor. We know.

The Tea Party will die once we get out of this recession. They add no value to the political debate other than to hurt the R's in the general election. They are pulling normally sane R's to Palin land. Which is bad for the Republican party and it is bad for America.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Jul 2006
    There just doesn't seem to be room for a third party in a bipartisan political system. Why do you suppose that is?
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    May 2005
    I voted "Other".

Even as a politics junkie, the whole tea party issue in Michigan isn't even on my radar. It's the least of the issues with the political system in Michigan.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    There just doesn't seem to be room for a third party in a bipartisan political system. Why do you suppose that is?
    Wizard aliens?
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by imaplanner View post
    Wizard aliens?
    How'd you know?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenu
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by imaplanner View post
    Wizard aliens?
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    "Nanu, nanu. Greetings Earthlings." - Mork from Ork You know Robin Williams is from Michigan, there just may be some credibility to this conspiracy theory.

Pam Dawber was hot.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 6
    Last post: 27 Jun 2013, 7:27 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last post: 18 Apr 2013, 6:10 PM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last post: 14 Sep 2011, 9:38 AM
  4. Replies: 7
    Last post: 01 Sep 2008, 10:50 AM