Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: a (purely hypothetical) ethical question involving walking and a can of light beer

Registered
    May 2005

a (purely hypothetical) ethical question involving walking and a can of light beer

Is it wrong if you go for a walk to get some exercise, but then stop at the party store on the way back to buy a 24 oz can of Busch Light?

Not that I would do something like that, but just theoretically?
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    Is it wrong if you go for a walk to get some exercise, but then stop at the party store on the way back to buy a 24 oz can of Busch Light?

It would be if you just got Busch. But you went for the Busch Light so I think you are okay.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Jul 2006

It would be better to buy the beer (and consume it) while you walk so you're sure you have enough calories to sustain teh exercise.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003

And just theoretically:
    one would carry it in a brown paper bag and along the way there would be a park bench where one might stop for awhile,
    and of course no one would not want the beer to get warm right ?
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    And just theoretically:
    one would carry it in a brown paper bag and along the way there would be a park bench where one might stop for awhile,
    and of course no one would not want the beer to get warm right ?
    Well of course...........I mean theoretically that is.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Feb 2004

Boy, btrage doesn't mess around when he asks the tough questions!
    Many Great Minds would take differing perspectives on this most excellent and probing question:

Jack LaLane - Wrong! You just offset all those calories you burned off!

The USMC - Right! the calories consumed from that can of light beer doesn't even begin to offset that 22 mile nature walk with a 40 lb pack you just took

Ben Franklin - wrong, but only if you drink to elevation

Anheuser Busch - There is no more right thing you could possibly do (unless perhaps it was to buy two 24 oz cans of Busch Light)

Adolph Coors - Wrong! Now on the other hand if that was a 24 oz Silver bullet...

a supermodel - right, as long as you stick your finger down your throat and hurl immediately afterwards

RJ - wrong, that's not wine

a beer connoiseur - did you just say 'Busch light' out loud!!!!!

the wife - wrong, if you didn't buy that for me

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Busch Light is a solid choice in the era of The Great Recession. $7.99 a 12-pack here in NY, and $3.99 for a 6-pack of pounders (16 oz.). No reason to spend an extra $2-$3 per 12-pack for Bud/Miller/Coors Light, Busch is better IMO.

Ducking and running from the beer snobs..

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    the wife - wrong, if you didn't buy that for me
    the wife - Which can do you like better, mine or that one?
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    May 2004
    Totally wrong. You should never buy Busch Light
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    May 2005

Quote Originally posted by imaplanner View post
    Totally wrong. You should never buy Busch Light
    In this scenario, I would have limited funding, something along the lines of $2-$3.

I would be very thirsty. And I want beer.

Theoretically, what would I do?

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Is this walk during work hours?!
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    May 2004
    In this scenario, I would have limited funding, something along the lines of $2-$3.

Thoeretically speaking, you would stop at a pub for a pint.
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Quote Originally posted by hilldweller View post
    Busch Light is a solid choice in the era of The Great Recession. $7.99 a 12-pack here in NY, and $3.99 for a 6-pack of pounders (16 oz.). No reason to spend an extra $2-$3 per 12-pack for Bud/Miller/Coors Light, Busch is better IMO.
    Piels is even cheaper. Or maybe Genny. But your beer burps will be atrocious!

Just don't leave the empty can of beer on the side of the road in front of my house. (Ever notice how virtually all the empty beer cans you find in the woods, by the side of the road, etc. are the el cheapo brands?)

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Taste wise - Yes, it's very wrong.

Calorie wise - It's about as wrong as me running to the ice cream parlor once a week to get a hot fudge sundae and running home.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    May 2005

imaplaner has successfully concluded that it would be wrong of me to purchase the Busch Light on the way home during my walk. Instead, I should stop at the local watering hole and spend my hard earned $3 on a pint, while also supporting a local business.

We shall leave this theoretical scenario open for debate if anyone wishes to counter imaplanner's conclusion.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    imaplaner has successfully concluded that it would be wrong of me to purchase the Busch Light on the way home during my walk. Instead, I should stop at the local watering hole and spend my hard earned $3 on a pint, while also supporting a local business.
    Is it better for your local community if you spend your money at the local watering hole or at a local retail purveyor of spirited beverages? To me, it sounds like 6 of one and a half dozen of the other.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Feb 2004

If one theoretically had only $2-3 and found Busch Light a viable drinking option they'd get the most bang for their buck spending it on a 40 of Mickey's Big Mouth.

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    If one theoretically had only $2-3 and found Busch Light a viable drinking option they'd get the most bang for their buck spending it on a 40 of Mickey's Big Mouth.
    More beautiful words have never been typed.

(if one only knew how many 40oz Mickey's I consumed back in the day)

Registered
    Mar 2004

Move back to Detroit, live in Corktown or Hamtramck. Happens all the time, no worries from the cops. I would not try that in Bloomfield Hills though.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner View post
    Move back to Detroit, live in Corktown or Hamtramck. Happens all the time, no worries from the cops. I would not try that in Bloomfield Hills though.
    Theoretically, does drinking from a paper bag, with no portion of a can/bottle visible, constitute probable cause for Teh Man to stop me and question what my beverage of choice is?

Isn't that discriminatory against paper bags?

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Beer Saunter

No thread would be complete without a trip in the Wayback Machine, with this Bear in the driver's seat.....

About the mid-1980s. I was camped at Big Knob State Forest Campground in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. This desolate campground is accessed by a long and winding road through the forest, from Route 2. The campground is on the deserted and sandy Lake Michigan beach. This is just about as far north as the waters of Lake Michigan get.

I am not sure where my camping friends were.....maybe at the bar in Curtis, maybe at the laundromat in Naubinway (which is located next to the tavern). I grabbed a six-pack and fashioned a cool walking stick from the fallen branches scattered around the campsite. I also grabbed a towel, because this was intended to be a nude saunter with accompanying beer. (Back in those days you couldn't get Rolling Rock up north. The beer was probably Grain Belt, Olde Style, or Bud.)

Big Knob is very desolate. I already said that. You can walk in either direction for miles and miles and you will pass no residence, no cabins, no other campgrounds. I started sauntering southwest. As I walked away from the beach at the campground the towel came off and became a turbin on my head. It was a sunny and warm early September day. I walked about 6 miles before I turned around. I did not throw the cans on the beach. I carried them back.

My return walk gave Mister Sun a chance to shine his occasionally deadly rays on my bare backside. As I guzzled the beer I sauntered back to camp, not realizing that I had severely burned my bear bare butt.

The next day I had to drive back to Toledo. About a 450 mile drive. One of the most uncomfortable rides I have ever taken. Ouch!

.....and that's how you do a "beer walk", "bear style".

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Theoretically, does drinking from a paper bag, with no portion of a can/bottle visible, constitute probable cause for Teh Man to stop me and question what my beverage of choice is?

Isn't that discriminatory against paper bags?
    Brown paper bags.. you're funny... why waste the bag? Ain't nobody using no brown paper bags in Corktown or Hamtramck... thats the sign of a lightwieght!
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    FYI: In Penn Station, NYC they sell the 20-22oz cans of beer (aka "A deuce") in the afternoon. You can drink it on the train provided it is in a brown paper bag. The beer usually is kept in a display with ice with the paper bags sitting in a stack right next to them. Great on a hot afternoon while on a crowded train
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    May 2005

We shall leave this theoretical scenario open for debate if anyone wishes to counter imaplanner's conclusion.
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    Is it better for your local community if you spend your money at the local watering hole or at a local retail purveyor of spirited beverages? To me, it sounds like 6 of one and a half dozen of the other.
    Well stated. The issue of supporting a local business is moot.

Therefore, imaplanner's hypothesis is based strictly on the taste factor.

Registered
    May 2005

On my way walk home from the pub after one pint of Founders Pale Ale, I stumble across a $50.00 bill laying in the sidewalk.

Theoretically speaking, do I pick it up and claim it as mine? Do I leave it alone? One caveat; I was planning on having a party at my place the next night. I could really use the cash. Theoretically speaking, if I took the money, how would I spend the $50.00? If you take this route, be specific about how the $50.00 would be spent, preferably with evidence to back your claims about how much things would cost.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 11
    Last post: 13 Aug 2009, 1:28 PM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last post: 04 Jun 2009, 9:44 PM
  3. Ethical delimma involving newspaper
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 15
    Last post: 08 Sep 2008, 11:52 AM
  4. Replies: 12