Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: The lowbrow beer connoisseurship/consumption thread

Registered
    Jul 2006

The lowbrow beer connoisseurship/consumption thread

Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    More beautiful words have never been typed.

(if one only knew how many 40oz Mickey's I consumed back in the day)
    What? I slammed a few Big Mouths but the MeisterBrau GIQ was the drink of volume. Damned hard to hide the paper bag while driving though.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Feb 2004
    If I'm going dirt cheap and looking purely for some transitory bliss I gotta go with malt liquor first. My brand of choice is Schlitz, because it leaves less of the powerfully astringent aftertaste one finds with St. Ides or Steel Reserve.

Now Mickey's does have the wide mouth bottle which can help reduce consumption time considerably; a factor worthy of serious consideration as well.

Most ice beers, boasting an impressive 5.7% alcohol will get the job done pretty quick and have the advantage of being much kinder to one's esophagus in the event they should happen to be regurgitated for some reason....

Registered
    May 2005
    In addition to purchasing cases of Mickey's, my friends and I were also known to be purchasers of Icehouse 22oz bottles by the case.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Now Mickey's does have the wide mouth bottle which can help reduce consumption time considerably; a factor worthy of serious consideration as well.
    In my pre-NCO days living in the BRiKS at Camp Lejeune, Mickey's was always my drink of choice for preciously that reason. That was until I found a place to buy Miller High Life, The Champagne of Beers! dirt cheap. To me, it's so light and watered down, that I could drink an excessive amount without becoming that sloppy drunk who nobody wanted to hang out with. Besides, since it comes from the Champagne region of France, I always felt a bit more cultured drinking it!
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Champaignians love Miller High Life (one would assume at any rate), but getting down to brass tacks, I think malt liquors win out over watered down cheapo beer if for no other reason than simply because they come in 40 oz bottles. Nothing about a 40 oz container suggests moderation. No, once you crack the cap off and take that first swig it's a given that intoxicated times will follow. I mean I suppose one could theoretically pour from the bottle into smaller glasses (and if you did it would HAVE to be in either a plastic sports cup or maybe a paper cup), but have you ever in your entire life seen anyone do that with a bottle of malt liquor?
    Last edited by Maister; 02 Sep 2010 at 6:37 PM.

Registered
    May 2005
    The summer of '99 was largely based around the consumption of Natural Ice. Major heartburn that summer.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Feb 2007

The Champion of Cheap

The offical Beer of CPSURaf's Vegas Bachelor Party:
    Camo Sliver Ice 24 XXXX -8.5% Alcohol by volume.

Cost

$1 per 24 oz can.

nuff' said.
    follow me on the twitter @rcplans

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    In reality, it's 38 ounces, because it's mandatory to pour a couple on the ground for your dead homies.

If I'm going lowbrow, I'm going to go to an old-school neighborhood corner bar in Buffalo, and get a Genesee Cream Ale. It's actually an interesting, halfway decent brew, but it has a reputation of being swill because it's so popular among the blue collar crowd, and stocked far over by the cheap beers in the supermarket cooler.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    At college, the lowbrow beer of choice seemed to be Keystone. Maybe Coors Light too, if that's even considered lowbrow. Great for beer pong as well. For a time, it seemed my friends and I cut down on whiskey expenses by drinking Jim Beam instead of Jack, but that didn't last long. I also remember drinking some rip-off of Captain Morgan called Sailor Jerry. Never had any malt liquor though.

Regardless, I predominantly drank Jack Daniel's, Captain Morgan, and Miller Lite at school. And red wines of all sorts. Sure, we may have lived off spaghettios, toast, and hamburger helper during the week, but we never really skimped on the booze.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    MGD in the South
    Yuengling 'round here.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Back in High School we used to drink Mad Dog, it was only $2 a bottle and would get you hammered.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    May 2005
    I've also partaken in some Red Dog. Haven't seen it around in awhile.

Registered
    Jun 2009
    I don't think they make Red Dog anymore. They definitely DO sell Mad Dog 20/20, though. Stuff was basically alcoholic Kool Aid.

Anybody have Boone's Farm? We used to drink that all the time back in the old barracks at Ft. Eustis.

When I got to college it was all about the Icehouse. My buddies and I would walk a few blocks over to the local gas station/convenience store and pick up 22oz. cans of it and then watch random movies in the A/C when it was 100 degrees out during summer '99.
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Rygor View post
    Anybody have Boone's Farm? We used to drink that all the time back in the old barracks at Ft. Eustis.
    Snow Creek Berry was always my Boone's flavor of choice. Yummy.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I had my first Genesee cream ale recently. It was actually quite inoffensive. Yes, inoffensive, that's the best adjective for it. Not too bitter ,sort of a bland, ever so slight malt taste to it.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    I had my first Genesee cream ale recently.
    My wife's family is from western NY - they love that stuff. Me? Meh.

A buddy of mine has a beer fridge out in his garage - half of it is microbrews and imports, and the other half is filled with Natty Light.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    In HS it was Miller Lite then in college it was Schlitz & Bud.
    Now its a Yuengling...
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Miller High Life or PBR since it is really affordable.
    Back in college we used to have Old School Bring Yo Own 40 parties. The hard part was getting through that second one without having to pee 5 times.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Rygor View post
    Anybody have Boone's Farm?
    I remember throwing a "Two-Buck-Chuck" party back in college, requiring everyone to bring an incredibly cheap bottle of wine. A lot of Boone's Farm showed up.

I also list Boone's Farm as a 'guilty pleasure.'

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    Now its a Yuengling...
    Finally, I can say that Ohio allows us to taste the sweet nectar of Pennsylvania....
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2009
    my undergrad days - or should I say nights - (decades ago) were fueled by a combo of cheap schnapps & gennie cream ale...a roomie was more partial to utica club but that was too dreckish for me

nowadays the cheap buzz comes from Old Style

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by der Bebauungsplan View post
    my undergrad days - or should I say nights - (decades ago) were fueled by a combo of cheap schnapps & gennie cream ale...a roomie was more partial to utica club but that was too dreckish for me

nowadays the cheap buzz comes from Old Style
    A trip to Frankenmuth earlier this year found me purchasing Black Label and Gennie Cream Ale. Coincidently, my fridge during this same time was already stocked with Strohs and Old Style (purchased locally). I sure had a 'granda beer' fest when I was laid up with broken feet this summer.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Me like Stroh's because backwards it spells shorts.
    WALSTIB

Registered
    Jul 2011
    Good ole' Friday nights in jr. high and high school... with some high quality Keystone Ice!
    In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. (Douglas Adams)

Registered
    Oct 2009
    My band in college had a song giving love to SLO's favorite beer: Natural Light.

My go to lowbrow beer is Pabst Blue Ribbon though. It has to be good with a ribbon, right?

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Beer, wine, and liquor consumption
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 25
    Last post: 15 Feb 2013, 3:47 PM
  2. (Son of) the Lowbrow thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 29
    Last post: 21 Sep 2010, 11:16 PM
  3. The TEMPORARY Beer Thread