Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: The lowbrow beer connoisseurship/consumption thread

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by dw914er View post
    My go to lowbrow beer is Pabst Blue Ribbon though. It has to be good with a ribbon, right?
    You don't by any chance profess an affinity for ironic humor, like to listen to really really obscure bands, or wear pork pie hats do you?

Registered
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    You don't by any chance profess an affinity for ironic humor, like to listen to really really obscure bands, or wear pork pie hats do you?

*Sigh* I did all of those things before people even started using the term "hipster".

Wait....that was the most hipster thing I could have possibly said, wasn't it?

Back on topic though. PBR isn't my favorite lowbrow beer, but so far in my travels I've noticed that granted a little bit of variation, PBR costs $2. Almost everywhere....
    Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by HomerJ9139 View post
    *Sigh* I did all of those things before people even started using the term "hipster".

Wait....that was the most hipster thing I could have possibly said, wasn't it?
    I drink PBR as well, but in my own defense I was drinking it long before it was considered 'cool' in anyone's book.

Registered
    Dec 2010
    I drink PBR as well, but in my own defense I was drinking it long before it was considered 'cool' in anyone's book.

Remember that awesome PBR line from Dennis Hopper in Blue Velvet?

NO!!!! Must..Refrain...From...Making.....Hipster...Comments....
    Insanity in individuals is something rare - but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.

Registered
    Oct 2009
    I do like some irony, but no, I'm not a hipster.

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    In reality, it's 38 ounces, because it's mandatory to pour a couple on the ground for your dead homies.

If I'm going lowbrow, I'm going to go to an old-school neighborhood corner bar in Buffalo, and get a Genesee Cream Ale. It's actually an interesting, halfway decent brew, but it has a reputation of being swill because it's so popular among the blue collar crowd, and stocked far over by the cheap beers in the supermarket cooler.
    I think I've had Genesee Cream Ale on draft in a few local restaurants, but I've never had it in a can. The Meijer we shop at stocks it and it is located by the cheap beers. I may have to pick up a case one of these days.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    I think I've had Genesee Cream Ale on draft in a few local restaurants, but I've never had it in a can. The Meijer we shop at stocks it and it is located by the cheap beers. I may have to pick up a case one of these days.
    Genny Cream Ale is nasty stuff IMO. No offense Dan.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    One of my goals during my Christmas vacation to Louisiana is to have a Dixie Beer, made in New Orleans. There are better local beers (Abita Beer, for example), but there is something wonderfully right about dousing the spicy fire of boiled seafood with a cold Dixie.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Are you guys coming over to my rager tonight? I got a keg of Natty Ice..

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by otterpop View post
    One of my goals during my Christmas vacation to Louisiana is to have a Dixie Beer, made in New Orleans. There are better local beers (Abita Beer, for example), but there is something wonderfully right about dousing the spicy fire of boiled seafood with a cold Dixie.
    I bought Dixie beer a few months ago and its actually contract brewed in Wisconsin as the original Dixie Brewery was destroyed in Katrina.

Registered
    Oct 2005
    I guess this is where I was supposed to brag about my $3.19 six pack of Big Flats 1901
    @GigCityPlanner

Registered
    Feb 1998
    Coors Extra Gold. Developed as a premium lager, never made it. Similar in taste and body to Miller High Life. Now down priced to the level of Keystone. A good everyday beer for my palate.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Cisco wine. Nickname? Liquid crack...
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Jun 2011
    Generally I alternate between Coors, Bud, or Miller Light, whatever I feel like drinking. Lately its been Coors. If I'm going REALLY cheap I'll get Busch Light. I used to be able to get 18 sixteen ounce cans for 9 bucks, pretty good deal.

However, heard on the radio yesterday in Charlotte that NATTY BOH has made its way down here. I'm on the hunt now!

Registered
    Mar 2002
    National Boh was the cheap beer of choice when I was in high school in Virginia. If I remember correctly, in college it was Budweiser. That was in Los Angeles and all I recall as available there were the normal national brands: Bud, Schlitz, Miller High Life, and for special occassions, the platimum standard of upscale coolness, Michelob!

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Anybody ever had Fat Cat? It was on special at a local dive a few months ago for $1.00 a can...

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Just had a Coors brew called "Third Shift" - it will be the only time I ever drink that.
    @GigCityPlanner

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Tide View post
    Just had a Coors brew called "Third Shift" - it will be the only time I ever drink that.
    malt liquor or even below their low brow beer of keystone light?
    No Signature Required

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Raf View post
    Says it's an Amber Lager - tastes like a dozen pennies soaking in dish water.
    @GigCityPlanner

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Raf View post
    Is it supposed to be a cheap beer? I was under the impression it was being marketed as a craft beer.

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Enjoying a Super Cold Coors Light...why...because the Nimbus Brown Ale is just too much at 930 at night.
    "You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it,..." -Bane

Registered
    Aug 2007
    God the one thing I miss from living back east is Yuengling, that stuff is amazing and relatively cheap. Now that I live too far from the east coast to drive, my time of sneaking Yuengling back to IL or TX is over. In grad school in MN it was Miller Lite. Most of the bars had $5.00 cup night ($5.00 for a plastic 8 oz cup, and all you could drink from 10 pm to 12 am) and the beer was either Miller Lite or Natural Light, many a fun nights were had thanks to cup night. I also remeber drinking way to much Boone's Farm and paying for it the next day. That stuff with the crazy high sugar content will give you the hangover from hell...

My regular drinker is now either Rolling Rock or Miller Lite, I guess rather lowbrow...

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Has anyone tried / remember Hamm's, Olympia, or Milwaukee's Best ?

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    All of the above. It's been about 30 years since I last drank a can of Olympia, but at the time (I was 19) I remember enjoying it immensely. I distinctly remember the cooler was full of Ranier and Olympia and I found I enjoyed the Olympia more at that time.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    Of course. My wife is from Olympia and I can still get Hamm's on draft there. Oly Gold was a punishment if you screwed up during I-week in college...our standard beer was Keystone Light...the house dog was named Keystone.

Milwakee's Best...the Beast...we drank that in high school. Beast Ice was 6.9% alocohol
    "You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it,..." -Bane

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Beer, wine, and liquor consumption
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 25
    Last post: 15 Feb 2013, 2:47 PM
  2. (Son of) the Lowbrow thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 29
    Last post: 21 Sep 2010, 10:16 PM