Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Association zoning job postings

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)

Association zoning job postings

(Mods, this was the most pertinent title I could come up with...don't want to put the precise name in the thread.)

Stumbled across a multitude of job postings thanks to my zoning search agent. Part of the job description reads like a good segue from wireless site acquisition. (Edits are mine)

Supervise outside vendor[s], engineers, title search firms ... to ensure transactions close within defined timeframes, ... [work on] transaction documents, easements, warranty deeds... [create] zoning and permitting applications. [file for zoning and monitor the] application review process. ...

However, I've never heard of this assn. There is no local office. Most planning & engineering consultants already have a zoning department. I can't imagine that there'd be a need for a regional HQ to file for zoning (two major cities in my lovely state). And full-time, too.

The assn started uploading these openings in mid-August.

Any insight? Keep in mind that Cyburbia is searchable and would show up on a Google alert-type of search agent.

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Most require just a two year degree. Hmm....
    I burned down the church to atone for my transgressions.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2007
    I am virtually certain this is a scam.

The only mention of any of their "executives" is on the "Executive Management" page of their website. Literally one result is returned when "executive's name + company name" is googled. People that become executives of major corporations typically have a large presence on the web.

Most of the positions listed in their job postings are available in numerous locations... most are locations where nobody is hiring for this type of work.

On their "Projects" page, they have listed at least one project that does not exist. I'm guessing their involvement with the other projects may be fake, even though the projects may be real. The Redmond, WA project is real, for example, but I doubt they were involved in any capacity (I emailed the engineer for the project, asking if he has knowledge of this company or their involvement... we'll see what he says).

In searching the Georgia SOS corporation registration site, they are not listed as a business entity of any kind, although their headquarters is supposedly in Atlanta.

Lastly, their domain name was created/registered in June of 2010, not exactly a large window of time to ramp up a huge company with projects throughout North America, as they claim to be.

Where there’s smoke, there’s fire. Guess I should’ve looked into this before I sent them my resume…
    Last edited by jbear; 06 Sep 2010 at 4:54 PM. Reason: remove company name

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    Spent a little more time on the subject website. No people are listed. Looking on the (professional networking site), one person shows up: a PR executive who lists a variant of the assn name.

The website copy seems to have been generated by a non-native English speaker, as some of the syntax is awkward.

"Members who want to find out how they can get involved in their industry committee should contact their delegate or organizerer or ring the [assn] call center at [number]."

It will be interesting to see what this turns out to be. In other topics I've warned off job-seekers signing up with a fox-like site, as it's just a resume sales service.

Registered
    Aug 2006
    Found this online. Not only do they seem to be a scam, they seem to change their name when people catch on. Probably they want to steal your identity and/or get you to sign up for bogus trainings / union memberships.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2007
    I believe this is the parent "company" for the previously linked job page:
    http://tinyurl.com/27hsuec

Their website leads you to this job page, which is very similar to the other:
    http://tinyurl.com/2aoqrf6

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 13
    Last post: 10 Jan 2013, 12:18 PM
  2. Replies: 14
    Last post: 02 Apr 2010, 12:36 AM
  3. Replies: 14
    Last post: 26 Aug 2009, 1:06 PM
  4. Parsing public agency job postings
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 5