Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Certified Transportation Planner

Registered
    Sep 2010

Certified Transportation Planner

Anyone planning to take the CTP exam sponsored by APA? Also, to consultants and those who hire transportation planner, would this exam be worth the cost and the preparation time?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    My firm wants me to consider the Professional Transportation Planner (PTP) Certification through ITE. I emailed ITE and left a voicemail last week regarding elaboration on their professional planning experience requirement. Overall I think the requirements are much less stringent than AICP.
    "This is great, honey. What's the crunchy stuff?"
    "M&Ms. I ran out of paprika."

Family Guy

Registered
    Oct 2001
    I just passed the AICP and am thinking about taking the test if I recieve my official notification in time to register for the CTP. If you already have AICP, then it seems like a no brainer to get CTP. First, CTP doesn't require any additional annual dues beyond that for AICP PTP requires recurring dues.. It also seems, that the continuing education requirements for CTP dovetail with those for AICP so that as long as you take a minimum number of transporation planning related hours, then you won't need to take any additional hours beyond that required for AICP. Finally, since the CTP certificaiton requires more years of experience as compared to the PTP I would say that is probably more valued.

My question to those who have taken the CTP exam, is how did you study? I'm a working professional and I don't have time to study 100 hours for the exam. Did anyone attend the session at the Annual APA Conference and was it help ful? Also, is there anywhere were you can find information on the pass rate for the CTP exam?

--
    Dharm

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2005
    My grad concentration was in transportation, and I'm coming up on my two years of experience to be able to consider if I want to do AICP. Another six years just before I can try for CTP after that?! Seems a bit much. I'll go to ITE's PTP first. I would think for transportation ITE would have more credibility.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2005
    Hadn't looked at the PTP info online in a while, but I just noticed they have a page comparing the PTP and CTP:

http://www.tpcb.org/ptp/comparison.asp

Although in reality the cost to maintain an AICP is higher with the combined APA/AICP dues (really $230-505 a year vs. just the AICP currently quoted on the comparison page).

FWIW

Registered
    Jan 2006
    Interesting link. The only thing I would add is that they don't include the cost for membership in APA or ITE. Seems relevant because you have to be a member of APA to maintain your AICP status and I assume the same is true for the PTP with ITE.
    Much work remains to be done before we can announce our total failure to make any progress.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    I checked the PTP site and nowhere do they state you HAVE to be a ITE member to be a PTP. Also, the CTP vs PTP comparison page has the following which indicates that their is a real effort to differentiate the TPCB from ITE.
    On a different note, I passed the AICP and as soon as my partial year dues are recieved by APA, I'm planning to apply to take the CTP exam. Anyone else plan on taking it later this year?

PTP is administered by the Transportation Professional Certification Board (TPCB). What is the TPCB? Is it part of ITE?

The TPCB is an independent corporation with its own Board of Directors. ITE provided the resources to support the initial work of the TPCB through a loan that has been fully repaid. ITE continues to provide staff support and other services; the TPCB pays for those, and is nearing financial self-sufficiency. All decision making is solely that of the TPCB Board of Directors.

Quote Originally posted by transguy View post
    Interesting link. The only thing I would add is that they don't include the cost for membership in APA or ITE. Seems relevant because you have to be a member of APA to maintain your AICP status and I assume the same is true for the PTP with ITE.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Certified Transportation Planner
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 22 Apr 2012, 5:01 PM
  2. Certified Planner in Charge
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 25 Aug 2011, 10:59 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last post: 17 Jan 2010, 10:29 PM