Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: My chances for MUP programs?

Registered
    Jun 2010

My chances for MUP programs?

Hi all,

I am an undergrad rising senior with no previous academic or work experience in urban planning. I've been interested in urban planning (in relation to developing countries) for quite long but haven't done any concrete work - like taking relevant classes or summer internships.

I am interested in housing, informal settlements, urban development, refugee issues in developing countries and planning to pursue JD-MUP joint degree. I've searched for some MUP/MCP programs with international focus and came up with my school list: NYU Wagner MUP, MIT MUP, UC Berkeley MCP, U Mich MUP, and Columbia MUP.

I am concentrating in Development Studies and Economics at Brown. (GPA around 3.88) Expected GRE score based on diagnostic test is 1400 + (I am planning to take it when i go back to the states this September). Most of the internships and other extracurricular have something to do with development(refugees, migrants, indigenous population, human rights, etc) but not necessarily with urban planning. Given my weakness in urban planning-related experience, I think I might change the senior thesis topic which I am currently working on to make it something more relevant to urban planning stuffs. Do you think this would be enough to show my interest in urban planning?

Based on my numbers and past experience solely related to non-urban planning development stuffs, what do you think my chances are for these schools? Any candid opinion would be greatly appreciated!

Btw I am an international applicant and will apply for financial aid as well.

THANKS!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally posted by bunny113 View post
    Hi all,

I am an undergrad rising senior with no previous academic or work experience in urban planning. I've been interested in urban planning (in relation to developing countries) for quite long but haven't done any concrete work - like taking relevant classes or summer internships.

I am interested in housing, informal settlements, urban development, refugee issues in developing countries and planning to pursue JD-MUP joint degree. I've searched for some MUP/MCP programs with international focus and came up with my school list: NYU Wagner MUP, MIT MUP, UC Berkeley MCP, U Mich MUP, and Columbia MUP.

I am concentrating in Development Studies and Economics at Brown. (GPA around 3.88) Expected GRE score based on diagnostic test is 1400 + (I am planning to take it when i go back to the states this September). Most of the internships and other extracurricular have something to do with development(refugees, migrants, indigenous population, human rights, etc) but not necessarily with urban planning. Given my weakness in urban planning-related experience, I think I might change the senior thesis topic which I am currently working on to make it something more relevant to urban planning stuffs. Do you think this would be enough to show my interest in urban planning?

Based on my numbers and past experience solely related to non-urban planning development stuffs, what do you think my chances are for these schools? Any candid opinion would be greatly appreciated!

THANKS!
    You'll be fine.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally posted by bunny113 View post
    Hi all,

THANKS!
    You basically have everything planning programs look for. And being an international student is generally a plus from what I've come to understand -- they love foreign perspectives (and as always, diversity bragging rights). Just make sure your statements of purpose are well thought out. Don't be too generalist -- sometimes I see people who are so qualified doing just that.

I would like to comment on your desire to get a MUP/JD... if you read around these forums, you'll see that the consensus leans against going into them. Either go for law or go for planning, but getting both won't give you a tremendous advantage (and generally limits the scope of your research/classes to municipal land use law and policy... not exactly the most useful things based on your interests/international perspective).

Registered
    Sep 2010
    bunny113 - I graduated this past year and have been considering the same route (i.e. urban planing in developing context and joint JD-MUP degree)... I'm just starting to plan for grad school (targeting to go back in fall 2012) and would be really interested to see how far you've come along in deciding on a school/program etc. My email's kchaves@ualberta.ca if you're interested in sharing notes!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Another chances thread
    Student Commons
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 30 Mar 2011, 8:41 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last post: 11 Oct 2010, 12:55 AM
  3. What are my chances?
    Student Commons
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 01 Nov 2009, 4:27 PM