Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: When does your school year run?

Registered
    Mar 2007

When does your school year run?

Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    What ever happened to starting after Labor Day ?
    Showing my age again ?
    When I was living in NC a few years ago, I vaguely remember the state legislature passing some bill that prohibits public schools from going back before Labor Day. (The reasoning was that the coastal communities were really losing a bunch of money from families that used to take one final trip to the beach for a few days over Labor Day weekend)

In Michigan I've noticed over the past couple of years that the public schools are starting to push back and start up again after Labor Day or at least sometime in the first week of September (and not August anymore) when Labor Day falls in the second week. I was out walking to the store yesterday and saw a sign at the elementary for a local private school advertising school starting up again in a couple of weeks (well before any of the public schools).
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    ...In Michigan I've noticed over the past couple of years that the public schools are starting to push back and start up again after Labor Day or at least sometime in the first week of September (and not August anymore) when Labor Day falls in the second week. I was out walking to the store yesterday and saw a sign at the elementary for a local private school advertising school starting up again in a couple of weeks (well before any of the public schools).
    Starting to push back? It's been a state law since 2005.

The school you mention is probably this one:
    Amendment offered by Rep. Shelley Goodman Taub (R) on September 20, 2005, to exempt a public school that is an "international baccalaureate academy" from the pre-Labor Day ban. This would apply to a school in Bloomfield Hills. The amendment passed in the House (57 to 50) on September 20, 2005.

Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    What ever happened to starting after Labor Day ?
    Showing my age again ?
    We're starting early, indeed, but it is the result of our little Catholic school moving to what's called a "balanced schedule". this year, the summer break was eight weeks. next year it will be a six week summer break. The shortened summer will allow extended breaks at Fall, Christmas, and Spring. Kids will have the option of taking "intensive" classes during these extended breaks, where, for a small fee, they can really delve into a topic such as they would never be able to do during a regular class day.

(Most Catholic and all public schools here won't start until around August 12th, btw. Not like us Jersey boys, where classes began after Labor Day and finished late June.)

Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Graduate
    In Michigan I've noticed over the past couple of years that the public schools are starting to push back and start up again after Labor Day or at least sometime in the first week of September (and not August anymore) when Labor Day falls in the second week. I was out walking to the store yesterday and saw a sign at the elementary for a local private school advertising school starting up again in a couple of weeks (well before any of the public schools).
    Some in the Indiana legislature want to pass a law requiring schools to start later, to protect Indiana's tourism industry. I don't get it: generally, I'd rather be outdoors in Indiana in June rather than in the Dog Days of August. But maybe that's just me.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Veloise View post
    Starting to push back? It's been a state law since 2005.

The school you mention is probably this one:
    Amendment offered by Rep. Shelley Goodman Taub (R) on September 20, 2005, to exempt a public school that is an "international baccalaureate academy" from the pre-Labor Day ban. This would apply to a school in Bloomfield Hills. The amendment passed in the House (57 to 50) on September 20, 2005.
    I didn't realize that was a law here. In my defense, I didn't live here for most of 2005.

The elementary school is part of the Detroit Country Day School system. Country Day, Roeper, St. Regis, Brother Rice, and Marian all seem to go back in the middle of August but I've noticed that they also finish up for the summers long before the start of June.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    NC schools start the last week of August (at least for my rising 2nd grader).

But it is kinda strange schedule. K & 1st graders start either Tuesday or Wednesday depending on your last name. This is suppossed to help with orientation, with 2nd - 5th grades starting Monday.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I wonder if any other states with significant tourist economies have pushed to keep the school year starting after Labor Day and ending before Memorial Day?

Registered
    Feb 2004
    In New York school would generally start the first Wednesday after Labor Day and end around the first day of summer. Not sure what the dates are here in Illinois, doesn't really effect me.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Around Buffalo, for primary and secondary schools, the school year has always run from the first day after Labor Day until sometime in June; the first week when I was a child, the third or fourth week now. The August-through-May school years in the rest of the country always seemed odd to me.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Oregon-Labor Day to Mid June
    South Carolina-Mid August to Memorial Day
    New Jersey-Labor Day to Mid June.

Personally I prefer the post Labor Day start. New Jersey has a longer school year (in terms of days) than all the other places we've lived in. Christmas-New Year's break is only about a week and a half most of the time.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Througout my K-12 education in suburban Chicago, we generally went back to school the last or 2nd to last week of August and continued through late May or early June. It wasn't uncommon though for some school districts to start in early September after Labor Day though. Most schools are generally out before June 10. But in Chicago proper, they go all the way to the end of June I think. In high school, I think we got out in late May or one of the very first days of June. My senior year, the seniors' last day was something ridiculous like May 18. We usually got 2 weeks off for Christmas, one week off for Spring Break at the end of March, and a bunch of days off in November for Thanksgiving and parent-teacher conferences, as well as all the usual holidays (Labor Day, Columbus (sometimes), MLK, Lincoln (Illinois thing), Presidents, Pulaski (Chicagoland thing), Good Friday). In one suburb I lived in, we even got some of the Jewish holidays off (Rosh Hashannah, Yom Kippur) due to the large amount of Jewish kids in the school district.

In college, we started about the same time, like around the last week of August, with Labor Day off, three days off for Thanksgiving, a month off for Christmas/New Years, MLK day off, a week for spring break in mid-March, and we would be done the 1st or 2nd week in May. (except for the one year where we had the shooting, where the calendar was pushed back so we got out the 3rd week in May)

As for the whole Labor Day thing, starting school in August never really stopped anyone from taking a vacation. Multiple friends of mine would go on family trips one last time during the 3-day weekend, and some have been known to even take the Friday before off. After all, how much do you really learn the first week or two of classes anyway?
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Jun 2007
    Central Texas: Last week in August through first week in June.

Oklahoma: Mid-August through Mid-May.

North Texas (at least as of 2006, the last time I had a family member still in school there): Mid-August through Mid-May.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Since i went to catholic school, i generally started a week to 2 weeks ahead of my peers, which was in August. Typically schools in northern california started the day after labor day. By about 1988, this started to roll to 1.5 to 2 weeks before Labor Day, ending in either early june or middle of june.

When i lived in a hamelt in the Modesto Area, they started school the 2nd week of agust and ended before memorial day. Kinda weird.

My daughter starts kindergarden this year. Her first day is the 25th. Surprisingly, she has two weeks off for spring break, which is great because it looks like we will be taking a much needed vacation then as it corresponds with my wife's college spring break
    follow me on the twitter @rcplans

Registered
    May 2005
    Here in New Mexico: August 17 to May 25th.

Growing up (Philadelphia): Week after Labor Day to first or second week of June (depending on snow days).

It seems weird to be sending the kids back to school when the weather is so clearly summer. But, our summer break starts early, too, so they get the benefit of being out of school in spring weather.
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    I wonder if any other states with significant tourist economies have pushed to keep the school year starting after Labor Day and ending before Memorial Day?
    Yeah. Here it was pushed by the tourism industry wanting high-school kids to work the full summer season, plus the transplants or people with family in other states wanting to take family vacations during the "traditional" summer break. My kid has gone back to school as early as the last week of July, so I can understand people frustrated because the whole family is getting together somewhere else in August and they can't go.

FL passed a law, I think last year or two years ago, that schools can't start any earlier than 2 weeks before Labor Day, but some districts got exemptions (I think for high test scores, but I'm not sure), including the one here. They start Aug 11 this year after less than a 60-day break for summer.

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    This curmudgeon reads the paper every day (and two on Sundays). I've noticed that all the back-to-school set pieces include mention of our state law (before, during, and after its inception). WSU, you're a mere babe, so you get a pass.
    (Better study up on what else might pertain to V.2.0)

While we're at it, I would have enjoyed year 'round school, had it been available when I was matriculating.1 Summer tended to get boring in early July, and it seems silly to have the suburban society following the traditional agrarian calendar. From what I've seen, 12-month school calendars offer more breaks throughout the year.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Year round school wouldn't have worked for me. I actually had to work on the farm in the summers when I was growing up. Don't kids today still do that?

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Year round school wouldn't have worked for me. I actually had to work on the farm in the summers when I was growing up. Don't kids today still do that?
    A lot of kids around here still do corn detassling and blueberry picking (I did) in the summer but I don't think it's a question of having to work on the farm in very many cases. But you knew that.

Today in Revere MA they start Aug 31, but in my day (the 60's) it was always the day after Labor Day.

Snow days were always a problem and I remember going to around June 20 or so one year.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by Veloise View post
    This curmudgeon reads the paper every day (and two on Sundays). I've noticed that all the back-to-school set pieces include mention of our state law (before, during, and after its inception). WSU, you're a mere babe, so you get a pass.

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Here in corn stalked Fulton County, OH, the Swanton schools start the last week of August. Back when I was going to Toledo's Whitmer High (1963-1966) school always started after Labor Day and ended the first week in June.

Fulton County always gives the kids a day off just after the school year begins. It is called Junior Fair Day. They give the day after Labor Day off so the kids can attend (and compete) at Ohio's most-popular county fair.

BTW.....classic rock group Kansas is playing at the Fulton County Fair this year. This Bear may just wander over there. Always liked Kansas.....tight group with solid arrangements.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Mar 2007
    School started up for most here in metro Detroit and I noticed that about 99% of the folks in my office who have grade-school age children took today off of work. Is this common among the parents of Cyburbia?

This sounds like a hidden perk of having a kid - a built-in excuse for a day off of celebratory fun? Or maybe it's a day off to deal with the pain of sending the little ones away for those few hours for the day.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I didn't realize that was a law here. In my defense, I didn't live here for most of 2005.

The elementary school is part of the Detroit Country Day School system. Country Day, Roeper, St. Regis, Brother Rice, and Marian all seem to go back in the middle of August but I've noticed that they also finish up for the summers long before the start of June.
    DetroitPlanner chuckles silently at this knowing full well that privateschools are not subject to the law and alsoknowing that the kids at his private school could kick the crap out of anyof the kids that went to these private schools. Flashes back to Eminem sining about Clarence and his parents.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 15 Sep 2009, 2:57 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last post: 14 Jul 2009, 8:35 PM
  3. Replies: 12
    Last post: 14 Dec 2007, 4:29 PM
  4. One year before grad school - advice please!
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 20 Apr 2007, 6:31 PM
  5. The school year has started here
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 20
    Last post: 11 Aug 2004, 9:35 PM