Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: PTP exam study resources

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006

PTP exam study resources

I am seriously thinking about taking the PTP exam. I can either take it this October or next March (I am leaning towards October). ITE's application process is much simpler than AICP. Does anyone recommend any study resources? I spent an intense 3 months for AICP. If I take it this October I would only have a month to study. I am swamped with work this month and heavily involved in a state APA conference in early October. For those of you who took the exam, what are your thoughts regarding level of difficulty. I am not an engineer but am very good with numbers and had two semesters of calculus.

Thanks-
    "This is great, honey. What's the crunchy stuff?"
    "M&Ms. I ran out of paprika."

Family Guy

Registered
    Jan 2006
    The deadline for the October testing window was September 3 according to their website, so that makes that decision easy. I haven't taken the exam, but I have a PDF of the Professional Transportation Planner Certification Program Refresher Course. I also have a PowerPoint of the presentations given (with notes) for the PTP Refresher Course. These two seem to be pretty comprehensive and seem to give a pretty good summary of the necessary information. Some google work should turn these up. If not, PM me and I can email them to you.
    Much work remains to be done before we can announce our total failure to make any progress.

I am planning to take PTP in oct, havent booked the dates yet, I got an approval email from ITE to take the exam, I also have the pdf and ppt from the refresher course, my questions are:
    1. when r u guys taking the test (date)
    2. ITE has 15 sample questions for $10, my friend sent me that file and he was telling me not to take it as they sell the same questions for $10, is that true?
    3. Just studying the pdf and ppt from the course, is it sufficient?

thanks

Registered
    Jan 2010

PTP

I've contemplated taking the PTP, but I'm not sure about how beneficial it would be. It still seems very new, and after passing the AICP...I'm not real sure I want to put myself through that again. What we're your motivations for pursuing the PTP?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    Personal and business reasons. I think the PTP certificate lends a touch more credibility for me in the eyes of the potential client, although I have a few years TP experience and I am AICP, but I don't have an MUP. You're right, it's icing on the cake, much like LEED-AP, CFM, etc. AICP is still the gold standard, everything else is extra. As my chapter's professional development officer, I push the AICP Advanced Speciality Certification for EP and TP (I am personally not a big supporter of either of the two certificates). Anything through ITE and ULI carry more weight than any of the extra "stuff" that AICP promotes beyond its basic certification.
    "This is great, honey. What's the crunchy stuff?"
    "M&Ms. I ran out of paprika."

Family Guy

Registered
    Jan 2010
    I agree, speaking as a transportation planner, I'm not sure how many of us are going to pay APA for more letters...Honestly, I've been hearing more and more planners considering discontinuing their AICP dues payments. I think the AICP designation is good for transportation planners...it provides a certain level of credibility to people, the test itself was very land use oriented....but then again so was planning school.

I get the purpose and the reasons behind the advanced specializations....I'm just curious to how many people signed up for the test first time around....or if in this down economy it was a bad business decision for APA.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Midwest Planner, I actually looked into both. The advantage of CTP is that while it is more expensive to test initially, there are no recurring dues. The PTP has to be renewed. So the upfront costs of getting CTP are the $100 application fee and $590 test fee meaning it is $690. The upfront costs of getting the PTP is just the $150 application fee, so it is $540 cheaper. However, the PTP carries a $275 certification fee which must be paid every three years. So after you renew the PTP once (after three years) it ends up being more expensive that the CTP assuming you are an AICP. The other thing is that the continuing education requirements for CTP are also streamlined. You need the same 35 hours to keep your AICP certification, the only difference is 10 of those 35 hours have to be in transportation planning or 5 hours a year. In contrast, the PTP requires 45 hours of professional development which are much easier to get than the AICP CM hours (taking one three credit college course would fulfill most of your requirement) but they ALL have to be related to transportation planning.

Unless, I'm mising something it seems like a no brainer to get the CTP if you are already an AICP and intend to continue to keep your AICP. Now, I am somewhat detached in that I work for the government and AICP is not a job requirement. I figure if I'm forking over ~$600 to APA/AICP (not including CM costs) annually out of my own pocket then CTP is a no brainer.

Registered
    Jan 2010
    Dharmster,

I think those are really good points, that I didn't think about before. Like you, I'm a public sector employee who doesn't get reimbursed for my AICP dues.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2005
    What would you do if you weren't already AICP? I'm not and looking ahead to decide which one I should do (AICP or PTP, planning to stay in transportation).

Registered
    Jan 2010
    For all of the complaints...and I agree with most of them, I would definitely do the AICP (and I passed the test in the November 2010 cycle)...its the most widely used standard for planning. While I see the value in the PTP, I've only met two people with it so far...and one was someone who worked for ITE. Not that it is bad...its just very new. If I was interested in spending more cash on certifications I would maybe do the PTP as an add-on.

Registered
    Apr 2008
    These are all good points. But, there are other considerations.

First, there are currently NO individuals with AICP’s CTP designation. The program’s first testing window is May 2011. Both are new programs. So, I wouldn’t base my decision on this factor.

Second, the CTP has much more stringent professional experience requirements. AICP requires eight years documentable experience specific to transportation planning. ITE’s PTP only requires three years experience with a master’s degree or PhD. and four years with a bachelor’s. So, your decision may need to take this into account.

Third, I would recommend considering current and future employment prospects or clients. If the bulk or my work is likely to be done for engineering-oriented agencies, I might lean toward the PTP. However, if it is more likely to be done for planning agencies, I might lean toward the CTP.

Finally, I would consider the reason for obtaining the additional credential. Professional development…personal knowledge…become more marketable…ego? Whatever the reason, there are costs and benefits to every bit of additional education. In the end, the best fit for you will be the best choice.
    "The devil bought the key to Branson. Drives a backhoe and wears a gold chain." --- Jay Farrar from the song "Barstow"

Registered
    Oct 2001
    This is true, but according to the PTP directory only 275 people hold the PTP credential. Either way, both credentials will be held by a small portion of those who actually practice transportation planning.

Quote Originally posted by MazerRackham View post
    These are all good points. But, there are other considerations.

First, there are currently NO individuals with AICP’s CTP designation. The program’s first testing window is May 2011. Both are new programs. So, I wouldn’t base my decision on this factor.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    I meant to say that right now only 275 people hold the PTP credential. After the initial CTP exam, some number (I'm thinking at least 75) will hold the CTP credential. COMBINED, that would be about 350 people and represent a very, very, small fraction of those who actually practice transportation planning. To me at some level it ends up being about just being able to put letters after their name. I've even see some people put their degrees after their name (MSFM, etc..).

Quote Originally posted by Dharmster View post
    This is true, but according to the PTP directory only 275 people hold the PTP credential. Either way, both credentials will be held by a small portion of those who actually practice transportation planning.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally posted by Dharmster View post
    ...To me at some level it ends up being about just being able to put letters after their name. I've even see some people put their degrees after their name (MSFM, etc..).
    Yes, that seems to be growing, but at least you have to work for a degree. I'm seeing more people put memberships after their name also (e.g. MITE). In my opinion that is simply deliberately misleading as many people (and certainly virtually all people outside the business) will think that's some sort of qualification or certification when it just isn't. My professional associations are listed on my CV if anyone cares that much, but my name just has P.Eng. after it - that does mean something.

Wow, I'm coming off rather cranky this morning...

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Completely agreed! That's where being a PTP means you have a degree whereas anyone can become a member of ITE. Similarily, I think that requiring a CTP to be AICP and have seven years of experience in transportation planning will really strengthen the credibility of the credential over the long run. I'm really tired of the watering down of degrees and credentials that has occured in the United States.

I was shocked at how easy the AICP exam was. Only after I took it did I realize how stupid it was for people to study 100+ hours for the exam. I remember at a planning conference, a professor from France said that what people study at the graduate level in the United States is studied at the undergraduate level in the United States. That was 15 or so years ago and I didn't believe him. After working for 13 years, I realize he was right.

The fact that you can't test people for aptitude anymore as an employer (it is de facto discriminatory according to the EEOC), means so many jobs now require a college degree when they need not. So now the jobs that used to require a bachelors degree, require masters degree and they too have been watered down. As a result, now you need multiple graduate degrees or Ph.D. to be competitive for many jobs. When does this end? Wouldn't it be just better to say, you know it is okay for people to flunk out of college and it's okay to require the equivalent of two years of full time study AND a thesis for a masters degree?

Quote Originally posted by Don View post
    In my opinion that is simply deliberately misleading as many people (and certainly virtually all people outside the business) will think that's some sort of qualification or certification when it just isn't.

Registered
    Oct 2001

Study Materials

Okay, I just paid APA/AICP to renew my membership so I'm waiting to submit my CTP application until the end of the month so my bank account doesn't get overdrafted. I was looking at the reccomended study materials and they are expensive (I know, it's APA I should no be surprised). If you own the Advanced Transportation Planning CD and you are interested in selling it let me know via PM. APA actually offered30% off the Advanced Transportation Planning CD and all other transportation planning materials at 40% off, but my procrastinaing self didn't take them up on that offer back in January because it seemed to early given that the application window didn't close until the end of March. I can't understand the logic of APA, when they just opened the applicaiton windown in like December and no one knew if they were approved to test, then they go ahead and offer all the study materials on sale. It's almost like they wanted to do it that way so very few people could get the study materials at a discount.

Registered
    Oct 2001

APA Bookstore sold resources on sale

Heads up, APA has put every CD that could be used as a study resource for the Certified Transportation Planner exam on sale. The resources and the discount code you need are contained in the following brochure:

http://www.planning.org/asc/transportation/catalog/

You get 30% or 40% off the AICP price (which everyone sitting for the exam has to be) so it is really a good deal. If you are planning on taking the test I think its highly advisable to buy now because the last time they had this offer in effect (January) it expired at the end of the month.

Registered
    Apr 2012

ptp refresher course pdf and power point

Quote Originally posted by transguy View post
    The deadline for the October testing window was September 3 according to their website, so that makes that decision easy. I haven't taken the exam, but I have a PDF of the Professional Transportation Planner Certification Program Refresher Course. I also have a PowerPoint of the presentations given (with notes) for the PTP Refresher Course. These two seem to be pretty comprehensive and seem to give a pretty good summary of the necessary information. Some google work should turn these up. If not, PM me and I can email them to you.
    transguy could you please pm me. I amm tried to pm you about the material but this site is not letting me.

thanks.

Registered
    Apr 2012

PTP exam

Has anybody taken the PTP exam lately?

Registered
    Oct 2012

course material for PTP preparation

transguy,

Could you send me the PTP preparation course material and powerpoint presentation? Looks like this site would not allow me to send personal message. My email id is:

(email deleted)

Thanks,.

Moderator note:
    (Dan) Welcome to Cyburbia! We hope you didn't join just to post a request for materials. Anyhow, I deleted your email address so you don't get hit with spam. Private messages are enabled after five posts.

Just a reminder: It's okay if you're asking for something that was made available for free by its author. Requesting copies of digital publications that are otherwise sold by their authors isn't allowed. Thanks!

Registered
    Feb 2014

Looking for PTP study materials

I am taking the AICP CTP test next week and think a review of the PTP material would help Luck have it the PTP practice test is off line. Id be happy to pay for the materials sample test via paypal if u have it.

thanks for a response

Sue

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. LEED study resources
    Environmental Planning
    Replies: 31
    Last post: 01 Jul 2010, 12:53 AM
  2. Study resources for RESNET
    Environmental Planning
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 11 Mar 2010, 3:30 PM