Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Canadian traffic calming

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand

Canadian traffic calming

Here's a new twist on traffic calming, it's a picture of a child which appears to come into view as you get closer...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_upshot...ns-of-children
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Old news.....

Old and outdated news.....I've developed a technologically superior version of this ploy. My version involves a 3D hologram projection of a child that reacts to vehicle impact with realistic blood splatter sprayed from a nozzle 60 feet away while at the same time a pair of old tennis shoes are propelled onto the front windshield of the vehicle during which time a life sized cardboard cutout of a mother pops up in the two o'clock position from the vehicle accompanied by a 130db scream of terror.

Damn I'm good.

“The way of acquiescence leads to moral and spiritual suicide. The way of violence leads to bitterness in the survivors and brutality in the destroyers. But, the way of non-violence leads to redemption and the creation of the beloved community.”
    Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
    - See more at: http://www.thekingcenter.org/king-ph....r7W02j3S.dpuf

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I like the argument that people will not not think twice about hitting children. Really? So after the first or second kid, you really just start feeling good about it?

The holographic stuff has been out for a while, but I think the good old bumps work the best.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Nov 2009
    It is interesting, but I really like the idea of portable temporary speed humps that a municipality can move to respond to residential and pedestrian complaints of speeding drivers in the area. Installing a temporary speed hump would, hopefully, train drivers to slow down on certain roads and wouldn't cost as much as installing permanent traditional speed bumps.

Of course, if those fail, we could always implement a speed triggered device that would drop an abatis in front of speeding cars (ahihihihihi) to remind them that they are risking lives.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Quote Originally posted by The One View post
    Old and outdated news.....I've developed a technologically superior version of this ploy. My version involves a 3D hologram projection of a child that reacts to vehicle impact with realistic blood splatter sprayed from a nozzle 60 feet away while at the same time a pair of old tennis shoes are propelled onto the front windshield of the vehicle during which time a life sized cardboard cutout of a mother pops up in the two o'clock position from the vehicle accompanied by a 130db scream of terror.

Damn I'm good.

I like the way you think (twisted, but that's good). We were talkinga bout this and figured after a driver being dupped 3 or 4 times with the fake kid, they would just run through anything close to this and the next one would be a real kid. They would then sue the city for making him less sensitive to kids playing in the street thinking they were fake.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Thoughts on traffic calming
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 32
    Last post: 30 Jan 2011, 7:49 PM
  2. Traffic calming
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 17
    Last post: 07 Mar 2007, 3:11 PM
  3. Traffic calming... to the eXtreme!
    Transportation Planning