Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: (another) Great new idea

Registered
    Feb 2004

(another) Great new idea

I have a GREAT new idea for a restaurant chain! We could name it "J.P. McMullen's" The interior would have lots of interesting antique (or even faux antique) stuff on the walls...old black and white photographs, license plates, old movie posters, defunct brand soft drink signs, or even old gas station signs!!!!!! The menu would feature excellent and interesting entrees like: New York stip steaks, chicken tenders, triple decker club/pub sandwiches, we'd also feature special appetizers like deluxe nachos, and buffalo wings but check this out...we'd advertise them as being SUPER HOT!!!! People will fall in love with this place I'm telling you! Do you think I might be on to something? Any other suggestions of what could be done with this great new restaurant idea? Share your enthusiasm!

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    I have a GREAT new idea for a restaurant chain! We could name it "J.P. McMullen's" ...interesting antique (or even faux antique) stuff on the walls...old black and white photographs, license plates, old movie posters, defunct brand soft drink signs, or even old gas station signs!!!!!! ... New York stip steaks, chicken tenders, triple decker club/pub sandwiches...
    On Urban Planet we refer to such joints as "Johnny O'Chilibees."

HTH

Registered
    May 2005
    I have a GREAT new idea for a restaurant chain! We could name it "J.P. McMullen's" The interior would have lots of interesting antique (or even faux antique) stuff on the walls...old black and white photographs, license plates, old movie posters, defunct brand soft drink signs, or even old gas station signs!!!!!! The menu would feature excellent and interesting entrees like: New York stip steaks, chicken tenders, triple decker club/pub sandwiches, we'd also feature special appetizers like deluxe nachos, and buffalo wings but check this out...we'd advertise them as being SUPER HOT!!!! People will fall in love with this place I'm telling you! Do you think I might be on to something? Any other suggestions of what could be done with this great new restaurant idea? Share your enthusiasm!
    Don't forget about the "flair"

I know you're making fun, but people have made boatloads of cash off of the bar and grill concept.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    May 2004
    Speaking of restaurants, how come nobody has come up with the obvious alternative to "Hooters"? A bar and grill featuring certain types of men and catering to horny women. What would it be called?
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by imaplanner View post
    Speaking of restaurants, how come nobody has come up with the obvious alternative to "Hooters"? A bar and grill featuring certain types of men and catering to horny women. What would it be called?
    Woodies.....
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Quote Originally posted by luckless pedestrian View post
    plus, I got a grease stain on a prominent feminine part of my jacket and I don't have time to go home and change today - blah blah blah - wah waah waaaah
    I guess we know where your name tag will be placed.

Shamalama Ding Dong's
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Feb 2004
    All I know is the menu would have lots of dishes featuring sausage or hot dogs prominently. Maybe Rocky Mountain oysters too.

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    Woodies.....
    On a serious note, this is a great idea but I fear it would soon become a "Bachelorette Party-only" type of restaurant. The thing that Hooters has is society deems it more appropriate to have half-naked women around than half-naked men. The women I know don't mind eating there but I can't think of a straight-male I know who would accompany his partner to Woodies.
    I burned down the church to atone for my transgressions.

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by stroskey View post
    ...society deems it more appropriate to have half-naked women around than half-naked men...
    I absolutely love society.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Jan 2005
    On a serious note, this is a great idea but I fear it would soon become a "Bachelorette Party-only" type of restaurant. The thing that Hooters has is society deems it more appropriate to have half-naked women around than half-naked men. The women I know don't mind eating there but I can't think of a straight-male I know who would accompany his partner to Woodies.
    That is because half-naked women look better than half-naked men. I think women will agree with this. Society just doesn't want to see anymore back fat than they have to. Hooter's has this, but is also accompanied by front fat... if you get my drift.

Women are also much more conservative when it comes to sexuality. They like to pretend like it doesn't exist. Men will happily go get a beer watch a football game and look at a half-naked woman.

I do think a completely phallic menu could work though. (Corn on the cob with a large polish sausage. Served with fingerling potatoes and for desert a Popsicle.)
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Jul 2006
    I just named it, I wouldn't go to it. Nor to the competing chain, Softies...
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Jun 2009
    I always tease my wife that my friends and I are going to start a place like this and call it "The Woodshed".

I'd like to see another version of Hooters for guys who, like Sir Mix-a-lot, enjoy big butts. I'd call it "Booties".
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Any other suggestions of what could be done with this great new restaurant idea? Share your enthusiasm!
    How about having waitrons singing happy birthday songs based on other popular songs?

We wish you a Happy Birthday!
    And a Merry Next Year!

As for the opposite of Peckers, that's already been done.

When I lived in New Mexico, less-than-professional appearing independent ice cream trucks would ply the streets in the early evening. The one I remember most was Mister Big and Soft. As The One would say,

Quote Originally posted by Rygor View post
    I always tease my wife that my friends and I are going to start a place like this and call it "The Woodshed".
    There's probably a place with that name already in San Francisco or Chicago's Lakeview neighborhood, right around the corner from The Manhole, The Tool Shed, The Male Slot, Bottoms Up, and The Junk Yard.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    .... Nor to the competing chain, Softies...
    Or the third chain where waiters serve the ladies from a pool, Shrinkages.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post
    Or the third chain where waiters serve the ladies from a pool, Shrinkages.
    Dressed as pirates: "Shrivel me timbers, mateys!"

Registered
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    There's probably a place with that name already in San Francisco or Chicago's Lakeview neighborhood, right around the corner from The Manhole, The Tool Shed, The Male Slot, Bottoms Up, and The Junk Yard.
    Ah, you're probably right! I remember a place in Toronto near the old Cabbagetown neighborhood called "Zippers" and the sign had a picture of the crotch of a pair of jeans with a partially open zipper.
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. No Idea What I'm Doing
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 24
    Last post: 10 Jan 2013, 12:14 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last post: 10 Nov 2009, 7:24 PM
  3. Replies: 29
    Last post: 24 Mar 2006, 10:45 AM
  4. Replies: 12