Urban planning community

Poll results: Have you undergone any of these common surgeries? (check all that apply)

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • back surgery

0 0%
  • knee surgery

3 13.64%
  • carpal tunnel surgery

0 0%
  • other joint surgery

2 9.09%
  • gall bladder (cholecystectomy)

4 18.18%
  • tonsilectomy

5 22.73%
  • female surgery (unspecified)

3 13.64%
  • heart surgery

1 4.55%
  • inguinal hernia surgery

2 9.09%
  • pre-frontal lobotomy

3 13.64%
  • other surgery (explained below in excruciatingly gory detail)

13 59.09%
Multiple choice poll
+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Under the knife

Registered
    Feb 2004

Under the knife

Outpatient procedures have become increasingly common and its a bit surprising what they can perform in the doctor's office these days. But serious medical problems still require serious anaesthesia and serious hospital stays. The average American in fact will undergo about 9 surgeries in their lifetime.

I haven't gone under the knife since almost 40 years ago (tonsilectomy and hernia) but I distinctly remember feeling extremely crappy the next day and it was weeks before I felt quite right again. Mrs. Maister is looking at surgery in the not too distant future and is understandibly a little concerned (I think, however, she must spend most of her free time reading medical horror stories about surgeons leaving gloves, watches, or surgical instruments inside patients or accidently doing the wrong procedures and/or removing the wrong organs. I get the impression she feels there's about a 95% chance something will go wrong!) In fairness to her she has never done well with anaesthesia and I've seen myself that it takes her upward of 3-4 days to completely shake off the effects of the anaesthesia.

How about you - are you well on your way to achieving your 9.2 lifetime surgeries? Have you ever had a surgeon screw up on you or someone else you know? How did your recovery go?
    Last edited by Maister; 09 Sep 2010 at 3:33 PM.

Gall bladder surgery. The drugs were cool, but they didn't dole them out as I would have wished.

Mrs. Maister will love this: A good friend woke up during female surgery, surgery was halted and she was brought back to her room and shortly thereafter had a myocardial infarction. She has been in physical and occupational therapy in the intervening two years and still can't work.

A surgeon performed the wrong procedure on my son. Everything turned out okay, but we should have reported it to the State and got his license revoked. he went on the be Chief of Surgery at the local hospital.

Registered
    Jun 2003
    The Oral or dental surgery option in the poll is missing.
    Root canal (multiple local injections including the TMJ joint) and wisdom teeth extraction should count.

My other surgery would be skin cysts removed under just local both intact and after infection rupture. (is that enough excruciatingly gory detail ? )

I am a candidate for knee surgery.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Aug 2002
    I have to admit, I have had far less than my fair share of surgeries. As far as I know, the only time I've been "under the knife" was when I had a pilonidal cyst removed about 15 years ago, and that was pretty minor, an outpatient procedure with virtually no chance of complications (just an awkward recovery). Oh, and I did have all four wisdom teeth removed - does that count?

Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Mrs. Maister is looking at surgery in the not too distant future and is understandibly a little concerned (I think, however, she must spend most of her free time reading medical horror stories about surgeons leaving gloves, watches, or surgical instruments inside patients or accidently doing the wrong procedures and/or removing the wrong organs.
    What about falling Junior Mints?

Registered
    Feb 2004
    In order to 'count' the operation should involve general anaesthesia (but by all means feel free to describe the gory details of one's outpatient procedures even if it didn't).

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    ACL surgery on my left knee. I also do not tolerate general anesthesia well. The surgery should have been outpatient but since I spent the 24 hours after surgery vomiting as a side effect to the anesthesia I was admitted. I liked the morphine pump
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    I had all four wisdom teeth extracted. I believe it was during spring break of my freshman year of college. The whole anesthesia thing was weird...not knowing where you are or what happened when you wake up. I was hopped up on vicodin for about a couple days afterwards and didn't eat much. But I was back to normal not long after.

I had stiches when I broke my nose when I was 5 and when I chipped my tooth & broke my gum/lip when I was about 7.

That's about it for me.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    May 2004
    I used a needle the other day to dig out a splinter. Does that count?
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    May 2005
    No surgery, no general anesthesia, no broken bones. A few stitches as a kid.

I had four adult teeth pulled when I was 13 but I just gut numbed up.

Even my "no more kids procedure" was the non-scalpel variety.

I'm kinda like Achilles.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Jun 2003
    In order to 'count' the operation must involve general anaesthesia (but by all means feel free to describe the gory details of one's outpatient procedures even if it didn't).
    Outpatient procedures - for those that have been "scoped" from both ends that was under general anaesthesia ?
    For me it was through IV line.
    Oddball

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    Outpatient procedures - for those that have been "scoped" from both ends that was under general anaesthesia ?
    For me it was through IV line.
    I've been scoped from both ends under general anesthesia. Different doctors with different scopes, thankfully.

Had a large bone spur taken off one ankle, painful recovery but I had a GF that helped distract me.

I've also had cataract surgery on one eye. While that isn't done under general, being awake while someone cut into my eye put it in major surgery in my book.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Wisdom Teeth. Two cut, two pulled. From what I remember I hit on the nurse. I am sure it was the drugs
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    Even my "no more kids procedure" was the non-scalpel variety.

I'm kinda like Achilles.
    What did they use, a hammer?
    Are you a heel or do you just have a tendoncy?

Registered
    May 2005
    No one has cried foul about the absence of "unspecified Male surgery" which I have had. Sorry, no gory details - you can make them up on your own (hint: its a standard procedure and saved my wife a lot of additional grief)

When I was 15 I also broke my eye orbital (the circle of bone around the eye socket). They had to go in and do reconstructive surgery using two wires to hold the bones in place while it healed. They are still there - one you can feel, the other was swallowed up by the healing bone. Without it I would have had no cheekbone and there was a danger of a nerve that serves the upper lip on that side becoming entrapped in one of the cracks. It was SUPER painful - both the injury (soccer-induced - someone headed my head) and the surgery/recovery. The later man-surgery was much more tolerable with a speedy recovery.

On a related note, my ten year old son has a friend who recently shattered his shin being licked by a horse! SO PAINFUL!!
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Jun 2009
    Just wisdom teeth removal for me. I had all 4 taken out and they put me under. It was a weird feeling waking up again. I was back to normal in a few day, though. Loved that Vicodin, though!
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Mole removal at 11 (yes, they put me under for that)

4 impacted wisdom teeth at 19; I was high for a week after that one

3 female procedures, including one c-section; technically, I didn't have general anesthesia for the c-section, I was just so exhausted when I finally got the spinal that I fell asleep for a couple of hours

Registered
    Aug 2001
    In order to 'count' the operation should involve general anaesthesia....
    I'll need an Official Mod Ruling on how many surgeries I've had.

I've been under general anesthesia six times. However, on three of those occasions I was cut in two locations. A couple of examples; on the 5th surgery I had two steel plates installed in my right forearm. One on the ulna and second on the radius.* Two cuts. On the 6th surgery, the plates were removed. Two cuts. So, I've had either six or nine surgeries.

I also request an "unspecified Male surgery" as I had one when I was very young.

*I woke up a couple of times during this one because they didn't want to put too deeply under because my jaw was wired shut. I was on the edge of consciousness the whole time....
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Aug 2005
    I'm closing in on the 9.2.

1. Tonsilectomy
    2. Aednoidectomy
    3. Wisdom teeth
    4. Gall bladder surgery
    5. Egg donor
    6. ACL

During the prep for the egg donation the anesthesiologist could not find a vein and tried multiple times and then literally hit a nerve. It hurt SO much. I think he felt guilty because post-procedure he kept checking on me and offering me extra doses of anti-nausea.

During my ACL surgery the surgeon (at a world renowned hospital) must've nicked a lymph node or something in my leg because I've had residual swelling in my lower leg since then. He never owned up to it and I never pursued it with him. I've followed up with other orthopedists but they can offer me no solid explanation. It is frustrating b/c I used to be rather vain about my legs but now I've learned a lesson in humility and am pretty self conscious about it.

Registered
    Jul 1998
    Twice for ganglion cysts one each rest.
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Registered
    May 2004
    Looks like we've got a couple people who have had pre-frontal lobotomies. Good stuff
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by imaplanner View post
    Looks like we've got a couple people who have had pre-frontal lobotomies. Good stuff
    We know who they are, but do they?

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by imaplanner View post
    I know a different thread but reminded me of the Ramones lyrics to Teenage Lobotomy .
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Just left the Dr, where he lanced/cut open another cyst on my back.
    For the excruciatingly gory details - it is dressed open.
    Oddball

Registered
    Jun 2007
    Tonsillectomy and a couple of sinus surgeries.

Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    I'm kinda like Achilles.
    Careful, lest the gods guide an arrow from some coward toward your alcaneal tendon.

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Paging Doctor Killbear: Stat !!!

This Bear is working toward the magic number. Details.....

1. Tonsilectomy when I was about 5 years old. What I remember is telling the nurse that I had to have the hall light left on. She agreed. Freakin' liar.....they turned the lights out. My distrust of the medical profession had begun.

2. I was about 22 when I had my vasectomy. It was a decision I have never regretted. Details are shared in the thread about vasectomies.

3. Prior to starting high-dose chemotherapy I had a port surgically installed in my chest. Ports make it much easier to get chemo.....no needles, baby.

4. During my decade and a half of fighting Lymphoma I had to have 3 different bone marrow biopsies. The first 2 were incredibly painful. The most intense pain I ever experienced.....for the longest 20-seconds (twice) in my life. Because of the intense pain, when I did the 3rd bone marrow biopsy I went under the knife. It was great! No pain. I just went to sleepyland.

5. When the high-dose chemo didn't solve my Lymphoma "problem" I was recruited by the University of Michigan Hospital for a bone marrow transplant. In case you don't know.....nothing surgical about that. However, the type of IV port that the Wolverines use is different than the port that was hanging from my chest. That led to another surgery, to install the U of M port.

6. About 6 months after the bone marrow tranny I had the ports surgically removed.

7. Root canal - about 3 years ago.

8. Removal of some bad "toofies". Because of intense dry mouth, primarily caused by the 4 months of daily radiation (1996-1997) I had some really bad teeth. Thanx to the dental surgery I know use partial plates. "Bear wears falsies, Bear wears falsies."

You can say that I have kept a number of medical centers in business.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Just got back from the hospital, where I had an appendectomy last night (removal of the appendix).

I woke up yesterday morning with pain in my upper abdomen (unlike your usual stomach ache), which radiated to my back and the rest of my abdomen. I saw the doctor in the early afternoon, threw up my breakfast in the waiting room restroom, and he prescribed me some Pepcid and said it could be appendicitis, and that I should monitor it. Well, sure enough, the pain localized to my lower abdomen (tell-tale sign) and so I decided to go to the emergency room with my mom in the evening. However, the pain wasn't really excruciating, but was tender to the touch. They checked my vitals, blood, urine, and then had me drink some contrast solution before taking me into a CT scan. The CT scan was the final straw that showed I had appendicitis. Luckily, it did not burst though.

Around midnight, they took me into the OR, put me under anesthesia, and removed my appendix. I remember waking up in a daze in the OR and then they moved me to a room around 1:30am or so.

I was in the hospital all day today, until they released me around 5pm. Luckily, my mom kept me company most of the day. And most of the nurses I had today weren't hard on the eyes.

I'm recovering really well though. Eating well. Drinking plenty of water. Able to walk just fine. The pain where I had surgery is still pretty consistent and so I'm taking painkillers for that. In addition, I continue to have a headache. I will be laid up recovering at home all weekend and into next week.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 9
    Last post: 27 Jun 2012, 1:26 PM