Urban planning community

Poll results: Have you undergone any of these common surgeries? (check all that apply)

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • back surgery

0 0%
  • knee surgery

3 13.64%
  • carpal tunnel surgery

0 0%
  • other joint surgery

2 9.09%
  • gall bladder (cholecystectomy)

4 18.18%
  • tonsilectomy

5 22.73%
  • female surgery (unspecified)

3 13.64%
  • heart surgery

1 4.55%
  • inguinal hernia surgery

2 9.09%
  • pre-frontal lobotomy

3 13.64%
  • other surgery (explained below in excruciatingly gory detail)

13 59.09%
Multiple choice poll
+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Under the knife

Registered
    Feb 2003
    IllinoisPlanner, I have that surgery myself and hope you are feeling better. Just make sure you get up every so often to help with the healing. Good luck with your recoup time.

I am fresh back from the hospital myself with two surgeries from breaking my leg. Stinks being down and out.

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Appendix and tonsils when I was kid and that has been it so far. I should have had knee surgery after I tore my ACL, but decided on PT instead.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Glad to hear you caught the appendix before it ruptured and that everything is okay, IllinoisPlanner. Take it easy in your recovery and you'll be good as new in no time.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Hope you are feeling better.

Lesson on not rushing - One week after my hernia surgery I tried going to work for only 4 hrs, it took me 2 more days to even feel better.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Glad it wasn't worse! Like the others said, don't rush the healing process.

Registered
    Feb 1998
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North View post
    "Bear wears falsies, Bear wears falsies."
    Bear, there might be a generation on here that don't know falsies (or a pair of socks). Damn we're old.

And speaking of old, there used to be no out patient surgery. Overnight in the hospital for wisdom teeth, tonsils, and my first of two hernia repairs. Other than those, just a few teeth extractions.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by illinoisplanner View post
    Just got back from the hospital, where I had an appendectomy last night (removal of the appendix).

I woke up yesterday morning with pain in my upper abdomen (unlike your usual stomach ache), which radiated to my back and the rest of my abdomen. I saw the doctor in the early afternoon, threw up my breakfast in the waiting room restroom, and he prescribed me some Pepcid and said it could be appendicitis, and that I should monitor it. Well, sure enough, the pain localized to my lower abdomen (tell-tale sign) and so I decided to go to the emergency room with my mom in the evening. However, the pain wasn't really excruciating, but was tender to the touch. They checked my vitals, blood, urine, and then had me drink some contrast solution before taking me into a CT scan. The CT scan was the final straw that showed I had appendicitis. Luckily, it did not burst though.

Around midnight, they took me into the OR, put me under anesthesia, and removed my appendix. I remember waking up in a daze in the OR and then they moved me to a room around 1:30am or so.

I was in the hospital all day today, until they released me around 5pm. Luckily, my mom kept me company most of the day. And most of the nurses I had today weren't hard on the eyes.

I'm recovering really well though. Eating well. Drinking plenty of water. Able to walk just fine. The pain where I had surgery is still pretty consistent and so I'm taking painkillers for that. In addition, I continue to have a headache. I will be laid up recovering at home all weekend and into next week.
    Sorry to hear this! I'm glad you paid attention to what your body was telling you. Just take it easy and don't try to rush things along and you'll be back to fighting form soon. The headache will go away in a couple of days, it's an after effect of the anesthesia. Keep an eye on your incision(s) to make sure they are healing properly.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Thanks for the well wishes everyone. I'm doing fine. Not too much has changed. Still have pain where I had surgery and still got a headache that sort of comes and goes. I made it out to church and out to breakfast with the family this morning, but have otherwise been resting at home. Gonna have to schedule a follow-up appointment tomorrow.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Hope you fully recover soon IP

Registered
    Jul 2007
    Take it easy ip, get lots of rest and feel better soon!
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    I'm closing in on the 9.2.

1. Tonsilectomy
    2. Aednoidectomy
    3. Wisdom teeth
    4. Gall bladder surgery
    5. Egg donor
    6. ACL

During the prep for the egg donation the anesthesiologist could not find a vein and tried multiple times and then literally hit a nerve. It hurt SO much. I think he felt guilty because post-procedure he kept checking on me and offering me extra doses of anti-nausea.

During my ACL surgery the surgeon (at a world renowned hospital) must've nicked a lymph node or something in my leg because I've had residual swelling in my lower leg since then. He never owned up to it and I never pursued it with him. I've followed up with other orthopedists but they can offer me no solid explanation. It is frustrating b/c I used to be rather vain about my legs but now I've learned a lesson in humility and am pretty self conscious about it.
    We hope it goes better this time, dandy
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    I'm closing in on the 9.2.

1. Tonsilectomy
    2. Aednoidectomy
    3. Wisdom teeth
    4. Gall bladder surgery
    5. Egg donor
    6. ACL

During the prep for the egg donation the anesthesiologist could not find a vein and tried multiple times and then literally hit a nerve. It hurt SO much. I think he felt guilty because post-procedure he kept checking on me and offering me extra doses of anti-nausea.

During my ACL surgery the surgeon (at a world renowned hospital) must've nicked a lymph node or something in my leg because I've had residual swelling in my lower leg since then. He never owned up to it and I never pursued it with him. I've followed up with other orthopedists but they can offer me no solid explanation. It is frustrating b/c I used to be rather vain about my legs but now I've learned a lesson in humility and am pretty self conscious about it.
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    We hope it goes better this time, dandy
    Thanks. Me too. Maybe they can fix the swelling issue. It is amazing how surgery can affect your daily life. Now Hubby and I are discussing who's going to take care of the dogs while I'm laid up and how I'm going to get to work. Last time I was living in LI and had the benefit of public transit. This time I am auto-dependent. And don't even get me started on how this affects our pursuit of a family.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    I've had my wisdom teeth out. My dermatologist removed a malignant melenoma from my back under local anethesia and again to remove a cyst in the same area.

I've had two in-hospital surgeries. The first one was to remove a broken straight pin from my foot. Local anethesia and it took about fifteen minutes. The second was a month after my dermatologist removed the melanoma. where a surgeon took a bigger divot out of my back and three lymph nodes to be sure my dermatologist got all the cancer out (she did). I got the full anesthesia for that one and a night in the hospital. Oxycodone became my friend after that surgery and I was out of work for almost a week.

What I remember most about the surgery was how apprehensive I was going in. Okay. I was friggin scared. But once I was in the operating room and they gave me the happy juice, I was out in less than a minute and woke up about fifteen minutes after I was out of surgery. Really the worst part of the surgery was I was nauseous and throwing up for about two hours after I woke up.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Jan 2005
    This reminds me we haven't heard from illinoisplanner in a while. I hope he's fully recovered and doing well.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Root canal counts as surgery. cutting or drilling all the same because the Dr is openning you up.

Forgot to add having 3 cysts cut out of my back.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 9
    Last post: 27 Jun 2012, 1:26 PM