+ Reply to thread

Thread: Office meltdown

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries

Office meltdown

Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    Plain Greek yogurt isn't that bad.
    I love the plain greek yogurt. Throw in a couple of fresh berries or a drizzle of honey and it's excellent.

First office meltdown of the day occurred at 8:50am. I am too old for this
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Quote Originally posted by kjelsadek View post
    When I read this I thought of that old bath commercial - Calgon Take Me Away!

This sure has been a long week for being a short week.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Planit View post
    When I read this I thought of that old bath commercial - Calgon Take Me Away!

This sure has been a long week for being a short week.
    Somebody needs to take a mental health day. The person who is currently on Part II of the meltdown needs to go home. She's an absolute sweetheart but this is a rough and tumble place and we scrape the bottom of the barrel on good days. Too big a heart but not thick enough skin.

Indeed.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    May 2004

What was involved in the metdown? My cubicle neighbor breaks out into very audible tears on an almost daily basis. I've taken to listening to music using noise isolating earbuds. But it still is annoying
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by imaplanner View post
    What was involved in the metdown? My cubicle neighbor breaks out into very audible tears on an almost daily basis. I've taken to listening to music using noise isolating earbuds. But it still is annoying
    Tears, screaming, curled up in a ball on the floor in the reception area.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    An adult did this?

Registered
    May 2004
    Ive seen tears and screaming before- but curled up in a ball? Wow. Are you sure she's not on drugs?

Registered
    Dec 2008
    As an upside, I'm suddenly feeling better about myself - and my situations. You have to wonder what people go through. Wow.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    An adult did this?
    Yes. She's about 30 years old.

Ive seen tears and screaming before- but curled up in a ball? Wow. Are you sure she's not on drugs?
    Pretty sure she's not. Some people just don't deal with stress and change well. I think she's also personally at a crossroads in her life. It happens, been there myself but knew well enough to seek counsel from friends and family before it escalated to that point. We are encouraging her to do the same.

Quote Originally posted by ursus View post
    As an upside, I'm suddenly feeling better about myself - and my situations. You have to wonder what people go through. Wow.
    Exactly.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries

^^ Update

We were forced to call the mental health crisis intervention team for my coworker. They just took her away in an ambulance. I feel like I have lost 5 years off my life today working in this office.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    We were forced to call the mental health crisis intervention team for my coworker. They just took her away in an ambulance. I feel like I have lost 5 years off my life today working in this office.
    What an experience! Did any of you see this coming?

Registered
    May 2004
    wow. That is crazy! Literally

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by kms View post
    What an experience! Did any of you see this coming?
    Yes and no. A few weeks ago she was asked to interview for a newly created position we thought she would be well suited for. She had a little moment which we just chalked up to nerves but she did well in the interview from what I understand. We thought then that it was a one-off. Guess not.

wow. That is crazy! Literally
    Yes. We tried dealing with her all day trying to gently persuade her to go home and take the rest of the day off but she wouldn't leave. She sort of wandered between the three of us that have offices and we called in one of our pastor friends to see if she might talk some more about what was going on with her. She was sort of calm but when the pastor left she lost it again but not as badly as in the morning. After prodding if there was someone we could call to come pick her up or if we could take her home ourselves she just sort of shut down. So one of us corralled her into their office and the other two of us sorted out what to do with her. We decided that she needed to be evaluated and start talking to someone so we called the local hospital's mental health crisis team (social worker and psychologist and police officer). They interviewed her and determined she needed to go in for an evaluation which she agreed to. It took four of us about 30 minutes to get her off the front porch, down the steps, and into the ambulance as we were trying to avoid having her restrained and put in.

I sincerely hope she gets the help she needs in dealing with whatever issues she's facing. I left at 4:30 pretty much mentally exhausted after it was all over.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Moderator note:
    Split from RTDNTOTO.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    More often than not the person with the meltdown has some serious home issues. Spouses, sig-others, money.....all can have profound affects. Mix in an environment that is challenging and stressfull.....meltdown.

I have seen a few in my long life. With the males it always involved yelling and slamming of things, doors. A few years ago a female worker had a meltdown and it involved an hour of sobbing, heavy crying, shaking, stuttering.

But, I have never witnessed a person rolling into the fetal position at the workplace.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North View post

But, I have never witnessed a person rolling into the fetal position at the workplace.

Bear

I know I'm not supposed to laugh at these things, Kim. It's just the reactions that I find funny.

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    I'm pretty sure I had a "meltdown" or two when I broke up with my GF earlier this summer. I was also sick at the time, out of money, and tired of not having a job or a future. It got to the point where I lost my appetite, and consequently, about 10 pounds. But I kept my meltdowns to myself (in my room or my car) and never let them happen out in public. I'm better now though. Thank God for God, family, friends, and Jack Daniel's.

I can't say I've ever witnessed someone have a meltdown like that at work. I've seen a couple outbursts, but nothing like a meltdown, breakdown, etc.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    May 2005
    Quote Originally posted by illinoisplanner View post
    I'm pretty sure I had a "meltdown" or two when I broke up with my GF earlier this summer. I was also sick at the time, out of money, and tired of not having a job or a future. It got to the point where I lost my appetite, and consequently, about 10 pounds. But I kept my meltdowns to myself (in my room or my car) and never let them happen out in public. I'm better now though. Thank God for God, family, friends, and Jack Daniel's.
    Been there a few times myself bro. Old No. 7 is a pretty nice buddy.

I also have never experienced anything like what kjel went through. I may be cold hearted, but I would probably have little sympathy if it happened. But I also think the people on Hoarders are lazy scumbags, and do not have "mental" problems.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Quote Originally posted by illinoisplanner View post

I can't say I've ever witnessed someone have a meltdown like that at work. I've seen a couple outbursts, but nothing like a meltdown, breakdown, etc.

Yes, alcohol is usually my preferred theuraputic method.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Jazzman View post
    Yes, alcohol is usually my preferred theuraputic method.
    "Alcohol - the cause of, and solution to, ALL of life's problems"

Mike

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Believe me I hit up the retail liquor establishment on my way home last Friday.

My co-worker was transported to the mental health unit at the local hospital and spent two days there. Her brothers live near her and came and got her from the hospital and took her home where she had another episode so they took her back to the hospital. Her mother flew up on Monday from North Carolina to help sort things out. Apparently she has some long standing issues that she was taking medication and seeing a therapist for (we were unaware of this) and she went off her meds and stopped going to therapy. She will be going to N.C. with her mom when she's released later this week.

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    ...co-worker was transported to the mental health unit at the local hospital and spent two days there. .... She will be going to N.C. with her mom when she's released later this week.
    So...you're hiring?

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Veloise View post
    So...you're hiring?
    She was one of our AmeriCorps members. We wanted to hire her for permanent employment as one of our case managers for the youth program but that's not going to happen.

Registered
    Mar 2003
    Must have just been the day. I had a guy call sobbing. He was trying to ask me questions about putting a travel trailer on a property to live in. He just kept apologizing and then told me his wife of 25 years wanted a divorce and how it was going to affect the kids.
    I listened and offered a few things and then as nicely as I could told him to think about things and call me back if he decides something.
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by btrage View post
    But I also think the people on Hoarders are lazy scumbags, and do not have "mental" problems.
    You're crazy. Those people are freakin nuts

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Sit too much in the office
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 9
    Last post: 11 Jun 2013, 1:47 PM
  2. Replies: 35
    Last post: 28 Oct 2009, 3:29 PM
  3. EXTRA! W.S. meltdown revealed!
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 02 Nov 2004, 9:33 AM