Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: ESRI ArcGIS 10

Registered
    Nov 2009
    ^ That is the problem I am working out a solution for. The group of users have both 10 and 9. It looks like I'm just going to have to recreate the basemap with all the files I will need and share them via our ftp - like in the old days. I really like 10. The basemap feature is fabulous!
    Occupy Your Brain!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2006
    Can anyone recommend published, hard copy, manuals for ArcEditor 10, including the Extensions (Spatial Analyst, 3D Analyst, etc.)? So far, I downloaded ArcTutor and went through some of the main tutorials through ESRI. I'm not that impressed. The exercises rattle off a series of tasks but don't explain what they mean, what are other options, etc. The closest thing I have found is just the main online help manual. Maybe what I am looking for is just general reference material rather than a help guide. Any ideas?
    "This is great, honey. What's the crunchy stuff?"
    "M&Ms. I ran out of paprika."

Family Guy

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2008
    Nick,

Iíve been working with ArcGis for a long time, and Iíve yet to find a good catchall reference book for the software. For general reference, you might consider the books in the GIS Tutorial Series . Itís a three book series, and it seems to cover a wide range of topics. I have the third one, and Iím happy with it.

I know you asked for hardcopy manuals, but I am still going to suggest ESRIís online training. Some of the sessions are free, some are not (and vary widely in price). Iíve viewed a number of the free training seminars, and most were pretty useful. One of them did feel like a teaser for a paid course, though. I only have experience with the free training seminars, so I canít speak to the other options.

Thatís about all I can think of for general reference. If youíre looking for more specific information (I need to be able to do x), I might be able to help you find something.

Good luck.

Registered
    Nov 2009
    Has anyone else experienced extreme lagging and/or crashing in ArcMap when attempting to use the Find tool?

It just randomly started last week. I use Find all the time. Blasted.
    Occupy Your Brain!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally posted by TerraSapient View post
    Has anyone else experienced extreme lagging and/or crashing in ArcMap when attempting to use the Find tool?

It just randomly started last week. I use Find all the time. Blasted.
    Yep. Happens to me all the time. They just released Service Pack 1 for version 10.1, so maybe that will fix it (but probably not).

Another thing that happens frequently is it doesn't let me use the trace tool, which can really be a PITA.

I get really frustrated with ArcMap sometimes.

Registered
    Nov 2009
    We will be upgrading to 10.1 in the next few weeks here.

Is anyone here using ArcGIS Online? If so, any input to share? Do you like it?
    Occupy Your Brain!

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

More at Cyburbia

1. GIS ESRI UC 2013
    Information Technology
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 27 Nov 2012, 9:14 AM
  2. Replies: 43
    Last post: 01 Feb 2011, 3:16 PM
  3. GIS: Manifold or ESRI
    Information Technology