Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Alternate architectural designs for Cracker Barrel

Registered
    Sep 2010

Alternate architectural designs for Cracker Barrel

Does anyone have any photographs of Cracker Barrel, anything that is different than their prototypical store?

Thanks.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Nov 2009
    I consider Cracker Barrel more as a restaurant with a store than a store. Did you mean Crate & Barrel instead of Cracker Barrel? I mix the two up all the time.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by UrbaneSprawler View post
    I consider Cracker Barrel more as a restaurant with a store than a store. Did you mean Crate & Barrel instead of Cracker Barrel? I mix the two up all the time.
    I get kicked out of Crate & Barrel all the time because I play giant checkers and rock on the chairs on the front porch. Maybe I am mixing the two up....

------------------------

I have found that google searching or bing searching for stores gives you a pretty good idea of layouts. If you do bird view in bing, you can get some good shots of what a store front looks like.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Mar 2004
    The prototypical Cracker Barrel is located off of a freeway interchange and is very difficult, if not possible to get to. These places are able to be seen from the freeway, and have gigantic signs on tall poles (I am not talking about myself being a tall man of partly eastern european heritage).

Its a well known fact that Cracker Barrel put Bill Knapps out of business in Michigan by stealing thier clientele (typically old people driving an enormous Ford Sedan). Cracker Barrel is one of the main reasons I hate taking long trips with my parents (even though they do not own an enormous Ford Sedan, they opted for a Fusion and an Exploder).

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Hink_Planner View post
    Maybe I am mixing the two up....
    Back when there was talk of a "lifestyle center" coming into town, I started joking around the office on a list of potential similar sounding uses and whether they would be uses at a "Lifestyle Center" or uses at an "Alternative Lifestyle Center", can't remember them all but this was one of them:

a Lifestyle Center may have: Crate & Barrel, Restoration Hardware, Foot Locker, Oneida

an Alternative Lifestyle Center may have: Cracker Barrel, TrueValue Hardware, Family Dollar, Pamida

I have an issue of being too easily amused at work.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by UrbaneSprawler View post
    I have an issue of being too easily amused at work.
    With the work we do.... we have to have something I never stop being amused... it gets me through
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2007
    I have heard Cracker Barrel will not locate anywhere unless they can have a pole sign...

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Hink_Planner View post
    With the work we do.... we have to have something I never stop being amused... it gets me through
    Sure it gets me through too. But when a developer decides to abandon his plan to develop a lifestyle center and resubmit a different plan, you probably shouldn't joke about it being the new proposed alternative lifestyle center. I learned a lesson that day.

Registered
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner View post
    The prototypical Cracker Barrel is located off of a freeway interchange and is very difficult, if not possible to get to. These places are able to be seen from the freeway, and have gigantic signs on tall poles (I am not talking about myself being a tall man of partly eastern european heritage).
    Only ones I have had the misfortune of visiting have a cheesy country motif "gift" shop thru which you have to find your way to the eating area where they serve mediocre meat & 3 style cafeteria level food. Wide selection of Chinese made ticky tacky faux kuntrykana.
    Last edited by Gedunker; 20 Sep 2010 at 5:14 PM. Reason: fixed quote tag

Registered
    Mar 2003
    I love Cracker Barrel. The breakfast is just about the only way to go with them although I had a great salad the other day.
    I have never seen them look any different. Yes along the hwy, big tall signs.

Registered
    Sep 2010
    The proposed location will not be along an interstate or highway. It will be along a major thoroughfare. Pole signs are not permitted where they are wanting to build.

Registered
    Feb 1998
    Quote Originally posted by btoy View post
    Pole signs are not permitted where they are wanting to build.
    Pole signs are not permitted...yet.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by btoy View post
    The proposed location will not be along an interstate or highway. It will be along a major thoroughfare. Pole signs are not permitted where they are wanting to build.
    If it is in their business plan you better expect them to apply for one, or at least expect to get a variance. Pole signs add 12% to the bottom line you know...

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by beach_bum View post
    I have heard Cracker Barrel will not locate anywhere unless they can have a pole sign...
    There's a Cracker Barrel in Clermont, Florida that has only a monument sign. There's also a location in Phoenix that doesn't have one, but then again, sign codes are uniformly very strict in that area. I think they're the lone exceptions, though. Even here in metro Buffalo, where high rise signs are uncommon, the local Cracker Barrel has one, in suburban Lancaster, which has a lenient sign code and a generous Board of Adjustment.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Jun 2009
    My town has a Cracker Barrel, and yes, it's right off the frontage road next to a major interchange and has a tall pole sign. The building design is 100% identical to every other Cracker Barrel I have ever seen. I'm pretty sure they don't deviate from the plan - EVER.
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Bacon flavored cracker conspiracy
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 28 Sep 2012, 11:52 AM
  2. Alternate Gift Baskets
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 15
    Last post: 09 Sep 2009, 11:36 AM
  3. Replies: 17