Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Time to make the jump (Car Advise)

Registered
    Oct 2005

Time to make the jump (Car Advise)

So with the addition of another bambino early 2011 the family will comprise of two adults, two babies in car seats, and two dogs, with the occasional grandmother as well. We currently have a 4 seater and a 5 seater. The plan is to keep the 4 seater over the 5 due to the long term quality and vehicle value.

I am looking at a 6-7 seat vehicle but we don't want to go supersized aka. Suburban, Tahoe, Armada.

What are the thoughts on this board regarding mid sized SUVs for a family of 4 and counting? Minivans are out since my wife isn't yet 30 and she said that would be sucking her soul out.

Any personal experience or advice would be appreciated, thanks.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    We have a Honda CRV. Super reliable. Front bucket seats are very comfortable. Back seat is uncomfortable. Car is intolerably noisy.

What?

It's noisy.

WHAT?

I SAID THE CAR IS NOISY!

I wouldn't get another unless the road noise problem is fixed. And I understand noise is a problem with Hondas.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    No Canyonero?

The ex has recently been lusting after the Ford Flex. The Flex is one of those vehicles people either seem to love or hate.

The Chevrolet Traverse has some buzz, but the rear doesn't seem as dog-friendly as the Flex.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by Otis View post
    We have a Honda CRV. Super reliable. Front bucket seats are very comfortable. Back seat is uncomfortable. Car is intolerably noisy.

What?

It's noisy.

WHAT?

I SAID THE CAR IS NOISY!

I wouldn't get another unless the road noise problem is fixed. And I understand noise is a problem with Hondas.
    I've been driving a CR-V for almost 8 years and I love it. It's not noisy. I only have a couple of issues. Shortly after I got it, somebody posted on Cyb that it was the lesbian car of the year (sorry , not me) and Tide needs a 6-7 person behicle and the CR-V only carries 5 so it won't work for him.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    A friend of mine drives a GMC Acadia and loves it. He has a three kids and two dogs and can fit everyone in there quite comfortably. Another friend of mine has a Toyota Highlander which is a bit smaller but still seats 7.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    I'm still going to push for the minivan. We have one and both love it. I have been a longtime station wagon lover and the Chrysler is bascially a super-sized wagon. Our 2008 was the first year with the stow-and-go seating standard and it is awesome.

Personally, I don't understand my generation's revulsion toward minivans. I would have bought one in college if I'd had the chance. Pull out the rear seats and you have a vehicle you can sleep/camp in. That is usually my standard of a real utility vehicle.

But good luck with your looking anyway.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    The wife and I have been searching for a new car as well in the mid-sized SUV world. The GMC Acadia, Chevy Treverse, and the Buick Enclave are all pretty much the same car (they actually sit on the same chassis) with different extras. After driving all three the Buick is the "nicest" but also the most expensive. It also has a tough time fitting a 4 x 8 sheet a plywood (this is a requirement for me).

New are expensive, but 2008, 2009, 2010 models are much more reasonable.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Dan View post
    The ex has recently been lusting after the Ford Flex. The Flex is one of those vehicles people either seem to love or hate.

The Chevrolet Traverse has some buzz, but the rear doesn't seem as dog-friendly as the Flex.
    We will also be looking at a new vehicle for my wife soon since with a new baby here, we'd like to have my wife driving something with considerably less than the 200,000 miles on her current car. I really like the Flex and my wife thinks that it's about the ugliest vehicle on the road and would never consider one. And then we went for a ride in my buddy's new one a few weeks ago and now she really likes it too (or at least the inside). She likes that it has as much room as an SUV but doesn't sit up nearly as high as other vehicles with the same amount of room and she also likes that it is NOT a minivan. We'll probably end up with another boring sedan though.

Off-topic:
    No Canyonero?

Everytime I think of the Canyonero, it makes me miss my old Grand Wagoneer
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    Quote Originally posted by mendelman View post
    I'm still going to push for the minivan. ...Personally, I don't understand my generation's revulsion toward minivans. I would have bought one in college if I'd had the chance. Pull out the rear seats and you have a vehicle you can sleep/camp in. That is usually my standard of a real utility vehicle.
    My first Caravan (downsizing from a cargo van after I folded my road show business) had a fold-down double bed in the back. Incredibly useful.

For several years I've lusted after "stow & go" and anticipated its entry into the used car market. But now I have a PT Cruiser and love it to pieces. It might work for a two kid - smaller dog family.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Though I don't have kids, based on what you described I think you might want to go with the minivan. They are super-easy to load/unload carseats, etc. Also, if you have elderly grandma going with you on a somewhat frequent basis, the lower step entry and more open sliding door will be appreciated by her.

Remember... it isn't a minivan... it's a swagger-wagon!!

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Thanks for the input thus far. The plan is to trade in/finance the new vehicle and then run it into the ground over 7-8 years. In 7-8 years we will be done with kids, stopping at either 3 or 4, as soon as team pink shows up.

We have looked at the Acadia and it is probably the most popular midsize in town right now but GMC must be very proud of their cars and a decently equipped one will run mid 30s. Considering I haven't paid more than 30k for a car, and usually in the low 20s until this point it is hard to justify that jump. Then again it is 10-15k cheaper than the full sized SUVs and we ARE concerned over gas prices over the next decade which is keeping us from the full size options.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    I really like the Flex and my wife thinks that it's about the ugliest vehicle on the road and would never consider one. And then we went for a ride in my buddy's new one a few weeks ago and now she really likes it too (or at least the inside).
    I agree with your wife it is about as ugly as an Aztek. You might want to wait a bit for the new Explorer, which is really the Old Feestyle/TaurusX. That vehicle is actually a couple of thousand less than the old Explorer, and uses the same underpinnings as the Flex and the Taurus.

I also am fond of the Chrysler Minis, if you get one you are not stuck with just Dodge or Chrysler, you could get the VW Routon which is the same vehicle and keep your yupie image intact amoung the neighbors who probably don't know this. The one bad part? Is that VW has somehow taken the slug-bug thing and applied it to this car as well. I always hated slug bug!

BTW Sedans don't have to be boring, get the Cadillac Sedan with the 500 hp engine!

My sis was looking at the Buick Enclave and the Chevy Traverse. She ended up with the Honda Acura SUV of the same type. This too was a substantial savings over the Enclave but gave her a lot of bells and whistles.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Feb 2007
    The wife and I are also looking for a new car and similar to Tide's wife, my wife refuses to get a minivan or suv. Too young to be seen in what she calls the "mom mobile". I concur. We have been searching and nailed down 3 very distinct call. We are foreign car type of people so hence why the all foreign line up or "wish list". We are probably going to buy used, but i am going to throw out 2 suggestions that have yet to be made:

Honda Element:
    Yea, seating is limited to 4 only, but perfect for kids and cargo space in bewtween seats and no carpet! Just hose the thing off. However does not have the 5th seat.

Volvo V50
    We saw one this weekend at our local dealerhsip. Definetly could seat 5 with car seats. Cargo room in the back and very sporty especially with the T5 engine. We saw a certified pre-owned 2007 with under 40,000 for under $20,000. Safety rating was through the roof. My wife and i really digged the car.
    http://www.volvocars.com/us/all-cars.../5-things.aspx

Mazada CX-9
    I know it's owned by ford, by i did dig this car for a while. Seats 7, sporty and well yea, seems to be a little bit up your alley.
    http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/disp...=CX9#/exterior

Personally, we want to wait for a year or 2 more and sink our teeth into an 2011 Audi A3 TDI. 44 MPG combined thanks to the diesel engine, and not to mention, sexy on the road but i think in the end we will probably go with the volvo.
    follow me on the twitter @rcplans

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Off-topic:
    Personally, I don't understand my generation's revulsion toward minivans.
    It's the whole soccer mom thing. Minivans are versatile as hell, I agree, but they've become gendered vehicles. Google the words minivan and emasculated, and you'll see what I mean.

Volkswagen vans are always cool IMHO, even though they're as slow as continental drift.

Quote Originally posted by Otis View post

What?

It's noisy.

WHAT?

I SAID THE CAR IS NOISY!

Yeah, we just bought a 2010 CR-V this spring and I agree that it is noisy. Fortunately, we drive very little so it hasn't been a problem. Road tripping in the future? We'll see.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Off-topic:

It's the whole soccer mom thing. Minivans are versatile as hell, I agree, but they've become gendered vehicles. Google the words minivan and emasculated, and you'll see what I mean.

Volkswagen vans are always cool IMHO, even though they're as slow as continental drift.
    Yeah, I understood that point on an intellectual level, but I guess I don't put as much emotion into my image/choice of car. Plus, I like having a bit of a contrarian streak on this issue.

A mustang is "manly", but crap for anything I would normally need/want a car for.

What I really want is new Taurus SHO wagon, but alas Ford killed the Taurus wagon model. For shame.....
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Why is there no poll?
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Don't forget the Honda Pilot.

BTW - Are there really people who see a guy driving a mini-van and instead of thinking "there's a dad taking his kids to school" think "why in the world is that wussy driving a mini-van?" Is this really a judgment people need to fear?

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Tide View post
    Minivans are out since my wife isn't yet 30 and she said that would be sucking her soul out.
    Tell her to suck it up.

Chevy Traverse is a good option. Honda Pilot is also in that same size ball-park.

In reality, the new minivans are very non mini-van like, except for the sliding doors (which are wonderful). The 2011 Nissan Quest looks like an overgrown Scion xB.
    You do have options that are far from the overgrown and excessive SUV.

Personally, I don't understand my generation's revulsion toward minivans.
    I agree. I love my minivan. Ours are a bit older (ok much older a 1997 and a 1999 model) but the flexibility of space and ease of access if top notch.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by boiker View post
    Tell her to suck it up.

Chevy Traverse is a good option. Honda Pilot is also in that same size ball-park.

In reality, the new minivans are very non mini-van like, except for the sliding doors (which are wonderful). The 2011 Nissan Quest looks like an overgrown Scion xB.
    Can I be the only one thinking we've come full circle and the new SUV's look not unlike the station wagons of yesteryear?

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Can I be the only one thinking we've come full circle and the new SUV's look not unlike the station wagons of yesteryear?
    Tell me it's not so! Aren't they sporty "Cross-over Utility Vehicles"? Although, now that you mention it, there is a distinct resemblance to the station wagon that I was forced to drive in high school.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    Quote Originally posted by boiker View post
    ... The 2011 Nissan Quest looks like an overgrown Scion xB.
    You do have options that are far from the overgrown and excessive SUV.

^^Looks like a hearse.

Whatever you get, put some flames on it. And those bullethole stickers.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Veloise View post
    My first Caravan (downsizing from a cargo van after I folded my road show business) had a fold-down double bed in the back. Incredibly useful.
    Hmmm. No comment.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

You stupid Americans and your love for gas-guzzling land barges. This is yet another reason why we sophisticated Europeans can't help but point and laugh at your country, its growing waistlines, and its shrinking dollar.

Go ahead. Burn up the world's precious nonrenewable resources using a bus to haul around your family. Please give us another reason to look down upon you stupid Americans. In Europe, when we're not traveling by bicycle, tram, or high-speed intercity rail, we use fuel-efficient, green vehicles dispensed from pumps that measure in liters, not your primitive gallons.

For a family with two kinder and two dogs, I recommend the Ford Ka.

If that is, how you say, too bulky, consider the Fiat 500.

Now I shall return to eating my organic non-GMO Euro-certified schnitzel.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I've seen a few of the 500s tooling around town all I do is laugh and think.. OK Fiat and Chrysler are the same company... but the Chrysler 300 may have a smaller number, but is a much nicer car than the Fiat 500. The Fiat 500 is sized somewhere between the Mini and the Smart car!

Nissan Quest looks like the Dodge Colt Vista Wagon!
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Hello, need advise.
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 15 May 2009, 7:35 PM
  2. Jump the Shark
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 42
    Last post: 03 Feb 2009, 9:10 AM
  3. When is a good time to jump ship?