Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Costs for the construction of a small half bath

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Costs for the construction of a small half bath

My wife and I are looking at a house that doesn't have a bath on the 1st floor. There is a small area in the living room/front entry that has a coat closet that could be converted to a small half bath. The location is on a wall adjacent to the kitchen and the basement below is unfinished (ie plumbing should be fairly easy), but the closet floor area would have to be expanded with a new wall (equaling about 6 linear feet). This would create probably a 4'x5' bath.

Can anyone give me any estimates of what is may cost to construct this new bath? And any ways to reduce costs as much as possible?

Thanks
    Last edited by mendelman; 16 Sep 2010 at 10:08 AM.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by mendelman View post
    My wife and I are looking at a house that doesn't have a bath on the 1st floor. There is a small area in the living room/front entry that has a coat closet that could be converted to a small half bath. The location is on the adjacent to the kitchen and the basement below is unfinished (ie plumbing should be fairly easy), but the closet floor area would have to be expanded with a new wall (equaling about 6 linear feet). This would create probably a 4'x5' bath.

Can anyone give me any estimates of what is may cost to construct this new bath? And any ways to reduce costs as much as possible?

Thanks
    We remodeled a bath with some expansion and ended up paying a little over $2k for the whole project. I did most of the work except the major plumbing,construction, and electrical. We gutted it and started over though, so that includes new shower and vanity. I would guess if you are only putting in a vanity and a toilet you could stay in the $1-2k range easily.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Hink_Planner View post
    We remodeled a bath with some expansion and ended up paying a little over $2k for the whole project. I did most of the work except the major plumbing,construction, and electrical. We gutted it and started over though, so that includes new shower and vanity. I would guess if you are only putting in a vanity and a toilet you could stay in the $1-2k range easily.
    I think I'd budget $5K to be on the somewhat safer side. Some of it will depend on finish materials and the amount of work you can do. You may have to reinforce the floor in addition to re-framing walls for the extra space. Depending on where the room is in relation to the other bathroom(s) and the rooms above, running a new vent stack for the toilet and exhaust fans can be problematic. You may also need a new electrical circuit added and you never know what other issues there are until building permits are pulled.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Mar 2003
    Usually people just do a sink and toilet in a hall closet like that. A full bathroom or even a shower can jack up the cost. I have seen my brother get one in for less than 1000. Like everything else it depends on what you are doing.
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Registered
    May 2004
    Most of the cost is probably going to be the framing of the new wall and the plumbing. Just a rough guess but 800 for framing and 500 for plumbing? 200 for a vanity, 100 for a toilet. Do the floor yourself and you could get by with about 100 bucks for some decent flooring.
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    Depending on where the room is in relation to the other bathroom(s) and the rooms above, running a new vent stack for the toilet and exhaust fans can be problematic. You may also need a new electrical circuit added and you never know what other issues there are until building permits are pulled.
    I would agree your vent stack will be your big issue. Without proper placement you will have a toilet that won't flush. Electric is a good point, you might think, well how much electricity does a bathroom need? Well it needs a hack of a lot more than a closet, and heaven forbid if anyone wants to plug an elelctric dryer or something!
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    . You may also need a new electrical circuit added and you never know what other issues there are until building permits are pulled.
    Just dont apply for building permits.
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

For bath remodels/new constructions we typically estimate around $175/sq. ft. (We're doing NSP projects and the number has been very competitive when we see actual bids.)

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by imaplanner View post
    Just dont apply for building permits.
    Especially if you know the guys who will approve it. They are already so busy anyways...
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Hink_Planner View post
    Especially if you know the guys who will approve it. They are already so busy anyways...
    Well, the city were looking at has mandatory exterior and interior presale inspections, so we're doing permits.

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Well, the city were looking at has mandatory exterior and interior presale inspections, so we're doing permits.
    If you are moving where I think you are... I would as well. They will get you everytime. I have heard stories. Pay the couple hundred and be clean and clear. Good luck!

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    I am in the process of adding an upstairs half-bath, using my marvelous found-on-Craigslist handyman (he does everything from making wooden furniture to cinderblock masonry).

Raw materials are coming in way less than $1k
    (vanity/sink, $50; toilet <$100, window $150)

Plumbing estimate in a couple hours (I'd better push back from here and get dressed)

If it's a good house otherwise, adding a half will make it a great house (not to mention the extra value at resale whenever you leave).

I am picking up the parts as they go on sale, and will be doing my own finishing. No vent fan; a new window will be a big help on the big blank wall of my house.

Registered
    Feb 1998
    Add in another $20,000 if you want LEED certification.

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    Plumber just left. He says he can use the existing stack (I am adding the half not quite just above the full). Says no need to reinforce the floor. Says at least 30" wide, so my sewing room will donate some space (but gain a full wall).

MM, you might want to think about a mudroom entry with the half, perhaps off the kitchen or back yard. With three boys... Check out some of the floor plans and designs in the cottage-type magazines. Cubbies, hooks, storage, a bench to sit on, and a half.

Registered
    May 2003
    Well, the house has a little 5x6ish eating nook in the kitchen next to the rear door, but we really want to keep that, but now that I think about it more - this may be the path of less resistance.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Veloise View post
    MM, you might want to think about a mudroom entry with the half, perhaps off the kitchen or back yard. With three boys... Check out some of the floor plans and designs in the cottage-type magazines. Cubbies, hooks, storage, a bench to sit on, and a half.
    Great Idea! why not just put a toilet in the mudroom and the kids can just use the kitchen sink to wash up afterwards?
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    May 2003
    Thanks for the input everyone, but we found a different house in the other city we were looking at (and are currently living in). We don't need to worry about adding anything to this one, because it is a 4 bd 2 full bath ranch. It's huge (by our standards) and perfect for our use and we only have to move about 4 blocks, instead of 20 miles.
    Last edited by mendelman; 21 Sep 2010 at 10:23 AM.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Thanks for the input everyone, but we found a different house in the other city we were looking at (and are currently living in). We don't need to worry about adding anything to this one, because it is a 4 bd 2 full bath ranch. It's huge (by our standards) and perfect for use and we only have to move about 4 blocks, instead of 20 miles.
    Better read Dan's fine print in teh Cyburbia agreement. I believe that, having solicited construction advice from the Throbbing Brian of Cyburbia, you are now obligated to build a 1/2 bath even if it's in another house. Congrats on your 4 bd 2 full and 1/2 bath ranch. Now you just have to decide whether to put it in the basement or add a second story. We're available to price that addition for you as well.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    May 2003
    No basement - house on slab, but maybe the 1/2 could be squeezed into the 3 season room or just a hole dug into the ground under the inside of the shed?

Six seasons and a movie!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 4
    Last post: 28 Nov 2008, 6:29 AM
  2. Parking garage construction costs
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 31 Jul 2007, 3:20 PM
  3. Replies: 15
    Last post: 15 Feb 2006, 11:07 AM
  4. Bath, Maine; any insight