Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Impact of local celebrities

Registered
    Feb 2004

Impact of local celebrities

How much sway do your local celebrities hold (or choose to exercise)? Do they ever use their names to promote/debate or otherwise involve themselves in local issues? I'm guessing that's probably what drew Clint Eastwood into running for mayor of Carmel, CA or Sonny Bono's run as mayor in Palm Springs, CA.

What type of visibility or involvement do the local celebs choose to maintain in your neck of the woods?

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Our only local celebrity is Todd who walks around with a shopping cart filled with various trash can finds and yells at cars.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Jeff Daniels is involved in the business community of Chelsea MI. There is no question that the town has been able to build upon his Purple Rose Theatre because there are a number of nicer restraunts that would not be able to be supported without it.

Kid Rock and Eminem are also great spokesmen for Metropolitan Detroit even though they are controversial. The Insane Clown Posse? While they are good for Faygo (local pop (soda for the rest of you) company), they are not seen as anything we are proud of.

Many of the other celebs are pretty recluse. These include Aretha and a number of others.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner View post
    Jeff Daniels is involved in the business community of Chelsea MI. There is no question that the town has been able to build upon his Purple Rose Theatre because there are a number of nicer restraunts that would not be able to be supported without it.
    Off-topic:
    I met him at the Common Grill one time.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner View post
    Many of the other celebs are pretty recluse. These include Aretha and a number of others.
    I noticed that author Elmore Leonard is in the new, "Detroit, I believe" campaign. But I'm not sure how much exposure that has outside of the Detroit area.

Birmingham native Tim Allen is also the voice of the "Pure Michigan" ad campaign and when his show Home Improvement was on, he was always wearing t-shirts and sweatshirts sporting the logos and names of various Michigan colleges and universities (large and small) and professional athletic teams. The show is still on in syndication if that counts for anything.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Jun 2009
    Roger Ebert is from my town and lends his name to our local film festival and is very involved in it, making an appearance every year and speaking to the crowd. He picks what films get shown each year.
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

Registered
    Jun 2007
    I don't know so much about Austin (or DFW), but I know in Oklahoma, Shannon Miller often lends her celebrity to local causes (like ballot initiatives, etc.) she believes in. I don't know what good it does, though, since everyone I've ever talked to who grew up in metro OKC tells me how big of a jerk she is in person.

Toby Keith and James Garner do the same (without the directed hatred), but are rarely on TV commercials - they just show up at fundraisers and make large, public donations to charities (and to OU).

The Flaming Lips's Wayne Coyne is pretty invested in the fledgling entertainment industry in Oklahoma City (The Flaming Lips even have a street named after them in Bricktown in honor of their contribution to the industry and its promotion in OKC).

Historically, Will Rogers was a huge booster of Oklahoma across the nation and invested a lot of time and money in the state. He, probably more than any other celebrity, helped shape Oklahoma to what it is today - there are a lot of buildings, rooms in/additions to buildings, charities etc., with his name on them or with specific project with his name attached to them.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Our current local celebrity of the moment is Zac Effron. He made a speech to help out Autism Awareness and help with the fundraiser. Man is he dreamy
    follow me on the twitter @rcplans

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by TexanOkie View post
    The Flaming Lips's Wayne Coyne is pretty invested in the fledgling entertainment industry in Oklahoma City (The Flaming Lips even have a street named after them in Bricktown in honor of their contribution to the industry and its promotion in OKC).

As a non-Oklahoman, but a fan of the Flaming Lips, I can attest to Wayne Coyne's involvement with the city and say that it is indeed reaching people all over the country and I have a couple friends who have actually gone to OKC specifically for Flaming Lips-sponsored events.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Our local celebrities (the Ambroses) are writers, so their public profile is negligible. Our county hasn't had a good celebrity since they nabbed the Unibomber.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Our local celebrity is dead...or is he...

*cue theme to Twilight Zone*

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Our local burg has produced several celebrities, including writers (Edna Ferber), show biz guys (Houdini), professional athletes (ie, Rocky Bleier, #20 for the Steelers during their glory years - also one of the very first 'Baby Boomers', do the math on his birth date) and newspeople (Greta Van Susteren).

Of those, the most local 'hay' is being made of Houdini.

Mike

Registered
    Nov 2009
    There are several celebs who live around these parts - at least part of the year. I've never heard any of them take a stance on local issues, except maybe Jack Johnson who has held fundraisers and awareness events for various environmental and youth organizations out here. Mostly, if and when any local celebs take a public stance on something it is a global issues. Some of the local pro-surfer ladies are currently boycotting a surf event to be held in China on account of human rights violations against women.

:hawaii: It is just as I suspected! No Aloha!

Registered
    May 2005
    I have very little sway in my city. I suppose I should make another movie or three.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Dec 2006
    Celebrities?

F)@#k I live in LA and everyone is either a celeb or is doing everything in their power to become one. They do very little for the actual city or its residence as most prefer to tackle world problems. The ones that do help a lot are Rob Dyrdek and Steve Berra....Two pro skaters who give tons back to the LA skate communities. I work closely with both to ensure that LA becomes as renown for its skate spots as it is for its 'Hollywood'

cr
    Looking for Sanity
    In this Crazy Land Of Ours

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Not my community, but I remember reading about the Val Kilmer/New Mexico zoning flap last summer where the neighbors and planning department wanted an apology from Kilmer before they'd hear his application. Sigh.
    KILMER

Registered
    Jan 2006
    I work with the sister of the great former all-pro running back for the 49'ers Roger Craig.

She is not so great. . .

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Toledo Celebs

Toledo (and the suburbs) have produced a fair number of celebs. Their impact, IMO.....

Danny Thomas - After he split for Hollywood (1940s?) he ignored Toledo. No impact on Toledo. Huge impact on Memphis: St. Jude Hospital.
    Marlo Thomas - Dad (Danny) was already in Hollywood when Marlo was born. Thus, no real connection to T-Town.
    Gloria Steinem - No impact on Toledo; helped jump-start what has been called "Women's Liberation".
    Katie Holmes - Her parents are very active in the Toledo Catholic Diocese. For what that's worth.
    Adrienne Palicki (the new Wonder Woman) - Dressed in her WW garb she has made an image with me. She went to my high school.
    Charley Weaver - Real name was Cliff Arquette. Grand-daughter, Rosanna Arquette. Impact? Unknown.
    Tom Sholz - Founder of great rock and roll band, Boston. I played basketball with a young Tom. (1964-1966).
    Old Man Sholz - Not sure of Tom's dad's name. His company built thousands of houses all over the country.
    _____

Jamie Farr - Klinger, on MASH. Returns to his home city often. Very involved in local charities. Name sponsor of a prestigious LPGA event in suburban Sylvania. A real gentleman.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Umm, I have George W. Bush.

He ain't done sh** for the local area, except tie up traffic.

Ross Perot keeps a low profile, so it's easy to forget he's here. Others? No clue.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Quote Originally posted by Salmissra View post

Too bad he couldn't have adopted the same attitude while he was occupying that residence in Washington D.C. We would have better off as a county had he.
    Last edited by Gedunker; 19 Apr 2011 at 1:55 PM. Reason: fixed quote tag
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Jun 2007

Ross Perot keeps a low profile, so it's easy to forget he's here. Others? No clue.
    Having grown up in Dallas-Fort Worth, I also have noticed that celebrities who live in there tend to keep a low profile, especially compared to other areas. I wonder why that is?

Some of the biggest "celebrities" who come out of Dallas are corporations themselves, not individual people (Exxon-Mobil, AT&T, AMR, Texas Instruments, Halliburton [which for a long time was headquartered in downtown Dallas but moved it's HQ to Houston in 2003], Frito-Lay, BNSF Railroad, Dr. Pepper, American and Southwest arlines, etc.). Those who are individuals are often times famous because of their business endeavors (usually regarding sports, like Jerry Jones and Mark Cuban). Most of the folks who try to exert influence in local issues are wealthy business owners and executives who keep a low national (and local) profile, like the Bass family, Perot, etc. Still, those from DFW who exert tremendous influence on anything tend to direct it at national and international issues more than local issues.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Business aka "Bidness" is the celebrity in Dallas. Dallas has no other real reason to exist. Stanley Marcus, Trammell Crowe, H.L. Hunt, Ross Perot, Raymond Nasher, Ebby Halliday, Mary Kay Ash, etc. are/were some of the big celebrity names here. Most have contributed greatly to the arts and civic organizations but, for the most part, do it quietly. If it weren't for Norm Brinker's success in the restaurant business (Chili's, etc), Nancy Brinker would not have been able to start the Susan G. Komen Foundation in memory of her sister to fight breast cancer. There are also sports and entertainment celebs who live here but it's just not in the Dallas culture to be up on a public pedestal promoting causes.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Austin is blessed with Lance Armstrong.

He doesn't get too involved with local issues, though I think he has helped some with local bicycle advocacy (if only to inspire others to get more involved). He pops up periodically at Texas House and Senate hearings discussing cancer research, and was a bit vocal on some bike-vehicle safe clearance laws that got vetoed by Governor pRick Perry. Lance Armstrong also has some history involving environmental violations surrounding construction at his ranch.

Austin also has some good stuff in regards to live music promotion resulting from successful musicians, particularly support for a couple of charities that help fund heathcare-related stuff for musicians.

Local Austin celebrities don't get too involved in local political issues, at least not in my experience. Most of their work is limited to charities or state/national advocacy.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    In Chicagoland, it seems the celebrities that make the biggest impact are either political figures (Barack Obama, Dennis Hastert, Rahm Emanuel, Jesse Jackson, the Daleys), athletes who play on our sports teams (Michael Jordan and the 90s Bulls, the 2010 Chicago Blackhawks, Walter Payton and the 1985 Bears, and various Cubs and Sox players over the years), local journalists and broadcasters (Harry Caray, Siskel & Ebert, etc.), and historical figures even long after they've died (Jane Addams, Frank Lloyd Wright). Like Dallas, I'd also say that the Chicago area's business community have made substantial impacts on the area, including Sears, Allstate, Motorola, McDonald's, Walgreen's, Wrigley, United, and Aon. The one true classic entertainment celebrity that I think has made a big impact would be Oprah Winfrey.

We've had our fair share of Hollywood celebrities that have come from here (Harrison Ford, Bill Murray, the Smashing Pumpkins, Kanye West, Walt Disney, Charlton Heston, Jack Benny, Ted Nugent, the Michael Jackson family), but most of them have made their impacts elsewhere in the world.

Well the presidential museum and learning center he's building will certainly be a great cultural and educational resource and it will likely benefit the local economy with all the visitors it will bring.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Quote Originally posted by illinoisplanner View post
    I

Well the presidential museum and learning center he's building will certainly be a great cultural and educational resource and it will likely benefit the local economy with all the visitors it will bring.
    Must......refrain........from.......making.......smart!@#...........comment.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Celebrities you have seen in person
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 40
    Last post: 28 Oct 2008, 1:09 PM
  2. Celebrities who didn't age well
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 25
    Last post: 30 Jan 2008, 12:58 AM
  3. Replies: 3