Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dandy's Honeymoon Thread

Registered
    Aug 2005

Dandy's Honeymoon Thread

I'm sure this thread will be one of the busiest, funniest, kewl-est, most happening threads ever.

-or-

It will die a quick death.

But that said, the BF or Fiancee and I have been talking honeymoon. We plan on waiting to take our honeymoon mid to late next year to save up some $$ and go at a better time for us.

That said, we've been talking and dreaming about where to go.

Today I found an excellent deal for 9 nights in Singapore, Hong Kong, and Kuala Lumpur for about $1500 pp including flights and hotels!

At the moment that's the winner.

Any other suggestions? We want to go someplace different. I like Hawaii, and the Caribbean would be nice, but everyone honeymoons there (or so it seems). We like to travel so we want to go someplace out of the box.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    I'm sure this thread will be one of the busiest, funniest, kewl-est, most happening threads ever.

-or-

But that said, the BF or Fiancee and I have been talking honeymoon. We plan on waiting to take our honeymoon mid to late next year to save up some $$ and go at a better time for us.

Today I found an excellent deal for 9 nights in Singapore, Hong Kong, and Kuala Lumpur for about $1500 pp including flights and hotels!

Any other suggestions? We want to go someplace different. I like Hawaii, and the Caribbean would be nice, but everyone honeymoons there (or so it seems). We like to travel so we want to go someplace out of the box.

Not sure what the flights are going for these days, but Australia is amazing. Their tourist industry is trying to get more people in the country. I can't speak highly enough about the country and my time there. The people, the views, and the food...
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    May 2004
    I went to Hawaii for my honeymoon. And then we went back for our next vacation, and now we want to go back again. People go to Hawaii because its soo AWESOME!

But if I didnt lve on the west coast might be looking at other options. What about bora bora?
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Feb 1998
    We could not afford it, but wanted to take the Delta Queen from Cincy to New Orleans.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries

-or-

I'd skip Hong Kong and do Bangkok and Phuket in Thailand instead.

Singapore is great but keep in mind it's mostly an urbanized island although they have two very nice nature preserves. Visit Little India, Chinatown, the shopping on Orchard Road can't be beat, there's good cultural, art, and nightlife, and they have a great public transportation system.

Bangkok...well it's Bangkok. You have to go there to experience it lol. Phuket is a beautiful resort island in Thailand with stunning beaches. Yes, it's a bit touristy on the ocean front but Phuket City is interesting on its own. The movie "The Beach" was partially filmed in Phuket.

I haven't been to Kuala Lumpur yet, but my dearest friend works on banking projects there periodically and he likes it. It's a world class city but a new city that bumps up against the old days. It's ethnically diverse and has an interesting history.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Don't even think of the Caribbean during hurricane season.

Other than that, I have no advice.

Our honeymoon was one night at a Days Inn in Eufaula, AL.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    I think you should try to buy out someone from the audience and go to Australia with Oprah.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    I would not tell anyone in here where your honeymoon is, where your hotel is or anything you don't want us randomly showing up at...

Registered
    Aug 2002
    We want to go someplace different. I like Hawaii, and the Caribbean would be nice, but everyone honeymoons there (or so it seems). We like to travel so we want to go someplace out of the box.
    I can't comment on anything in Asia... I've never been there.

Sure, there are lots of Honeymoon Havens(tm) in the Caribbean, but then there are islands like Dominica and Montserrat which are nothing like that - still natural and beautiful, and not so touristy. Definitely out of the box!

Registered
    May 2005
    We went to Mazatlan, Mexico. I would recommend it.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    May 2005
    We went to Alaska in the first week of June (just prior to the big tourist influx). It was AWESOME! The light (the sun never sets) was fantastic, the people were kooky, colorful and interesting and we drank a lot of good beer. We went backpacking and spent some time in a place called Talkeetna. We like to do that kind of stuff (backpacking, camping) so it was a great experience for us. I would go back anytime, it was quite the amazing place.

If I were going on a second honeymoon, I would go either to Europe or Latin America.

But all your options sound great. I don't think you would regret any of those choices.
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by kjelsadek View post
    I'd skip Hong Kong and do Bangkok and Phuket in Thailand instead.
    Ditto. I spent a week in Hong Kong and about a total of two months in Thailand (all back in 1998) and would pick Thailand hands down. The diversity of things to do and see there makes it all worth it (plus, it's also considerably less expensive than Hong Kong). The beaches in Thailand are some of the best I've been to in the entire world and after the hustle and bustle of Singapore and some long trans-Pacific flights, relaxing in the surf might sound more enticing than you think.

When my wife and I were planning our honeymoon a few years ago, we had the same dilemma: Hawaii and the Caribbean sound nice but everybody goes there and we wanted something different. We were planning to spend about 12 - 14 days on ours and at first were thinking somewhere with a lot of historical places to visit, a deep culture, etc... and decided on Eastern Europe, then thought maybe France and Italy, changed our minds again to France and Spain, and then to Spain and Portugal. But after we got more immersed in the details and minutia of the wedding we thought, "Do we really want to sit on some looong, cramped flights just a day or two after our wedding and spend the next 2 weeks hiking around during an event filled honeymoon?" We promptly changed our plans completely and decided to go to a Sandals resort on St. Lucia and sit in a pool and on the beach for 2 weeks. We did not regret the decision one bit. No kids around, no moving from one hotel to another every few days, no multiple flights to each destination, etc...
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Mar 2004

Oh yeah.....

We spent our honeymoon in the mecca of culture and a place full of class, good food and wonderful architecture........LAS VEGAS BABY!

With so much cash, consider the Galapagos Islands and a hike on Cotopaxi before or after.
    Skilled Adoxographer

Registered
    Jun 2005
    Well i can recommend Australia Its a long way to travel and not as cheap as Asia, but defo worth consideration. Also New Zealand too.

I went to Hawaii with the BF last year and loved it there, just get off the main island!

Lots of people here in Oz go to Thailand/Bail/ Vanuatu cause its reasonably cheap. Just make sure Thailand isnt in any unrest, a friend from work got caught there.

How about the Maldives or Greece or Italy?
    "Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?" Zoolander

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Niagra Falls or Battle Creek Michigan.

(yes I am kidding).

Really when it comes right down to it, does it matter what I think? Personally you could be happy staying at home.
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner View post
    Niagra Falls or Battle Creek Michigan.

(yes I am kidding).

Really when it comes right down to it, does it matter what I think? Personally you could be happy staying at home.
    No, it doesn't matter what you think but I do enjoy hearing other people's thoughts and experiences with travelling or honeymoons.

The idea of relaxing on a Caribbean island sounds nice but we really aren't intense beach people, one or two days in the sun but the rest of the time we prefer doing urban or natural (flora & fauna) adventures.

I would love to go to the Galapagos, but the packages I've seen start at about $3500 pp. A TAD out of our budget. But I would love to kiss a tortoise.

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)

NOLA?

Sustainable, inexpensive (since you'll already be there, right?) and memorable.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Austin is the sexiest city, according to some poll recently published...
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

The YooPee

Save a bundle of money by choosing the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Take the moonie-hon around Labor Day and walk across the most beautiful bridge in the world. Marvel at the water color at Taquamenon Falls, the second largest falls in the east. Stick your toe in Lake Superior, so aptly named.

Stop at The Yukon Inn in Paradise. Gather beautiful stones on the deserted beaches adjacent to the Whitefish Point Light Station. Buy a Northern Michigan University tee or a Lake Superior State tee or a Michigan Tech tee. Drive the awesome Brockway Mountain Drive. Eat a pasty.

Explore more than 100 waterfalls, some very difficult to get to.....a great challenge. Take the tour boat out of Munising and view the incredible Pictured Rocks. Visit "the end of the earth", an oft-used description of Houghton/Hancock. Have a drink at The Library, in Houghton. Cruise into Stump's Bar, on US 41 west of Marquette. Explore the architecture of Marquette. In Negaunee, find a bar that serves cudighis. (Not sure of the spelling.) Rent bicycles on Mackinac Island, because no cars are allowed.

On your way back, at the tip of the Lower Peninsula, stop at the Keyhole Bar in Mackinaw City.

Have fun, whatever you do.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North View post
    Marvel at the water color at Taquamenon Falls, the second largest falls in the east.
    Do the whole tour to the falls via the train and riverboat.

http://www.exploringthenorth.com/too...e/trolley.html
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North View post
    Save a bundle of money by choosing the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. ...
    Don't forget the Mystery Spot and Da Yoopers Tourist Trap!

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Veloise View post
    Don't forget the Mystery Spot and Da Yoopers Tourist Trap!
    Here's the link. Doesn't the giant chain saw just shout out "Honeymoon".

http://www.dayoopers.com/thetrap.html

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    May 2004

And the other place

;heh heh, heh heh:

Registered
    Sep 2010
    You could go to the island of Roatan. It's the most visited place en Honduras. If I remember i think there flight directly from Atlanta (Delta), Newark and Miami.

You can see mor pictures in here if you like.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=978754

Registered
    Aug 2005
    WOW! I just found a 22 day cruise that starts in Mauritius and ends in Singapore for $1,700/ person!

Too bad I don't have 22 days of vacation and the cruise departs on 11/20/10.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 29
    Last post: 01 Mar 2012, 7:41 PM
  2. Dandy's in teh Clubbbbe!
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 21
    Last post: 04 May 2010, 12:11 PM
  3. Replies: 8
    Last post: 08 May 2006, 3:36 PM
  4. Honeymoon and Flight Time