Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: National [fill in the blank] Day: AIB Hink Planner

Registered
    Feb 2004

National [fill in the blank] Day: AIB Hink Planner

http://www.holidays.net/dailys.htm#LastWeek

There are 365 days in a year, but the problem is that there are many more than 365 things/events/interests/ideas that we humans cherish. Hence, we end up with situations like the same calendar day being 'National woodchuck day, Idaho Statehood Day, Rectal Prolapse Awareness Day, and Take Your Red Headed Stepchild to Work Day' all coinciding.

Is it possible we're trying to cram 5,000 lbs of potatoes into a 50 lb. bag?
    What is the most outlandish day you're aware of? pi day? Talk like a Pirate Day? National Guacamole Day? I gotta admit having food awareness days ranks right up there...
    Last edited by Maister; 16 Sep 2010 at 5:46 PM.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I think most of these days are just a way for politicians to make a group / demographic feel good for a while. Kind of like having your "local athlete that was great" day in your hometown. Sure it is cute, but is it needed?

I was confused as to why we are having days for condiments or food in general. National Taco Day, National Green Bean Casserole Day, National Pork Tongue Day...

Now National Talk like a Pirate Day on the other hand...is genius
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    We always make a pie on pi day, even though in the formal Canadian dating system March 14 would be 14/3, not 3/14.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 32
    Last post: 05 Apr 2013, 12:57 PM
  2. Happy Birthday, Hink Planner
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 9
    Last post: 27 Feb 2009, 7:37 PM
  3. Happy Birthday Hink Planner
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 26 Feb 2008, 6:43 PM