Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: The advice from folks who've no business giving advice thread

Registered
    Feb 2004

The advice from folks who've no business giving advice thread

So yesterday I'm trying to install a new kitchen ceiling lamp and my FIL happens to stop by to return something. He sees me up on the step ladder having some difficulty lining up the screws with the slots in the fixture, but instead of providing actual assistance like "I can see it's about a quarter inch to the left", he proceeds to tell me I should "measure the distance between the screws and then measure the distance on the fixture's holes, thereby making it easier to line up". Mind you, I've already got the screws that came with the fixture sunk and am simply trying to line up the holes over my head where I can't really see. I know more or less what I'm doing, but my FIL is the kind of guy who calls an electrician to flip a breaker switch or change a lightbulb. That is the definition of annoying in my book.

You have any good examples of people giving you 'advice' that have little or no business dispensing it?

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    People with no kids giving advice on pregnancy, babies, kids of all ages...

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by luckless pedestrian View post
    People with no kids giving advice on pregnancy, babies, kids of all ages...
    You mean people like me.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Jul 2006
    People who have been divorced and think that qualifies them as experts on good marriages.

People who haven't been divorced and think that qualifies them as experts on good marriages.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I think the people discussing life with babies, when they don't have any is extremely valid. (Or about abstinence when they had a baby out of wedlock ).

Another thing is people who aren't willing to do something themselves. My neighbor always has something to say when I am working on a project about how I should be hiring a contractor because I don't know what I am doing. He is completely unwilling to try anything and because of that believes that no one is capable. He doesn't know what it takes to complete the project, how can you tell me that I can't do it?

In the running world I have one - someone giving you training advice. So many people can tell you how to run a good marathon, but few have done it. I also enjoy those who argue that they know what they are talking about because they ran a 6minute mile in high school....
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Everybody point all the clueless advice people to Good Morning America. They are apparently looking for a new advice columnist and inviting anyone and everyone to apply. Seriously, they were talking about it this morning. (But somebody restrain the old guys of Cyb; we all know who they are; from this...)

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Anything my mother in law tell us...

Don't tell her I said it though.

Registered
    May 2005
    People shouldn't give advice unless solicited. Period.

The only caveat are those people that are hurting themselves....
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    Jun 2009
    I love it when grossly overweight people try to give me diet and exercise advice, especially when I'm the one who's advice they should be taking.
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

Registered
    Feb 1998
    Quote Originally posted by Rygor View post
    I love it when grossly overweight people try to give me diet and exercise advice, especially when I'm the one who's advice they should be taking.
    Or a skinny as a rail coworker who in front of a rather hefty coworker talks about how she needs to lose 5 pounds.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Skilled Adoxographer

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Planners. They are all nerds and geeks. Ya'll should have witnessed what I saw in Tampa last week.

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Ugh. Being a recent graduate who is unemployed, everyone's always trying to give me advice. I know it's simply because they care and they just want to help, but some people think things are still the same as they were decades ago or try to compare this recession it to the early 80s recession (this recession is far far worse), and quite frankly don't understand the planning profession, my skill-set, or public sector employment. Our field is a very unique one and the one-size-fits-all job advice tips don't always apply to it. That's why I'm more apt to take advice from people that have actually gotten jobs in this economy or from planning professionals or public sector HR people.

Still, I will accept and consider any and all advice. But I have good enough judgement to know which of that advice might work and which definitely won't.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Registered
    Mar 2004

Well, I for one think........

Quote Originally posted by illinoisplanner View post
    Ugh. Being a recent graduate who is unemployed, everyone's always trying to give me advice. I know it's simply because they care and they just want to help, but some people think things are still the same as they were decades ago or try to compare this recession it to the early 80s recession (this recession is far far worse), and quite frankly don't understand the planning profession, my skill-set, or public sector employment. Our field is a very unique one and the one-size-fits-all job advice tips don't always apply to it. That's why I'm more apt to take advice from people that have actually gotten jobs in this economy or from planning professionals or public sector HR people.

Still, I will accept and consider any and all advice. But I have good enough judgement to know which of that advice might work and which definitely won't.
    YOU ARE SOOOO SCREWED!!!

The One....not sugar coating anything since 2004
    Skilled Adoxographer

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 11
    Last post: 07 Feb 2012, 10:08 AM
  2. Replies: 11
    Last post: 27 Mar 2010, 9:43 AM
  3. The Advice on Giving Advice Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 25
    Last post: 25 Mar 2010, 8:27 PM
  4. The whopper advice thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 27
    Last post: 18 Dec 2009, 2:54 PM
  5. Graduate school and career advice (was: Advice?)
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 17 Apr 2007, 11:09 AM